Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

my license expires on my b'day (august) but i'm in uk june 13th until september 22nd... should I go get my second 5 year licences before or after I go?

Depends on whether you have any concerns about driving on an expired licence? If so get it before you go and at least you then know it is done and don't have to think about it.

If the extra year makes all the difference then leave until after you get back.......

• Like 1

Usually (!) your national driving license will be accepted in case that you are stopped by the police. Don't have an accident while driving to the transportation office though. Me personally, I'd take the risk to extend the DL after my birthday.

• Like 1

My 5 year licences are about to expire soon. However i am on touristvisa now so i quess that means i will get only this 2 year licence, correct?

I also have lost my car licence. Should i get a police report or do they see on computer i have one ? Motorbike licence is not missingbiggrin.png

In my case, is it better to go before or after expiry day?

I have also my homeland DL + international DL, Neeeded or no?

Thanks for any inputsmile.png

I made a police report and copied "millions of different papers" so let see how i goes. I think i have a try tommorrow or day after..smile.png

Btw, Am i allowed to drive motorway 7 by bike/scooter or should i take alternative route..?

Usually (!) your national driving license will be accepted in case that you are stopped by the police. Don't have an accident while driving to the transportation office though. Me personally, I'd take the risk to extend the DL after my birthday.

Not in Pattaya it isn't. They only accept a valid thai drivers license or an international drivers permit. I am stopped at least one time a month and I hear them telling other foreigners their countries license is not valid without the additional permit.

• Like 1

My 5 year licences are about to expire soon. However i am on touristvisa now so i quess that means i will get only this 2 year licence, correct?

I also have lost my car licence. Should i get a police report or do they see on computer i have one ? Motorbike licence is not missingbiggrin.png

I made a police report and copied "millions of different papers" so let see how i goes. I think i have a try tommorrow or day after..smile.png

Btw, Am i allowed to drive motorway 7 by bike/scooter or should i take alternative route..?

Theoretically no - signs up saying 5k baht fine. Does not seem to stop most people however.

I don't know where you are but from Pattaya central almost as quick to take Suk and the 36 anyway as long as not rush hours.

Theoretically no - signs up saying 5k baht fine. Does not seem to stop most people however.

I don't know where you are but from Pattaya central almost as quick to take Suk and the 36 anyway as long as not rush hours.

Thanks for infosmile.png . I will go next week and driving from jomtien. Since i have not droven there before by myself i think will take longer 3 > 36 > regent school > u-turn > from regent school left route..

Hello, I read the first post, is it still what they are asking for 5 years renewal ? Only immigration residence certificate and photocopies ? NO medical certificate ?

what is needed for a 5-year renewal is copies of your passport pages - front and visa, a copy of your current 5-year license - front AND back, and the original of the Residence Certificate that you have to get from Immigration prior to going for the renewal. You will NOT need a medical certificate,

I have to do my 90 day report at Jomtien on 25th May and renew my 5 year DL's on 31st July.

I have read in this thread that If I got my Proof Of Residence letter(s) for bike and car on the 25th May (to save another trip to Jomtien), that I can use them to renew my DL's 3 months before the DL's expire. Is that still the case?

Conversely, if I got the Proof Of Residence letter(s) next week and wanted to renew the DL's on 1st August to get the '6 year' licences, could I do that?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by dsfbrit

I was at transport office today and tried to renew my 5 year licence. "no can do" they told because i did no had long time visa at the moment. Well, but i got 2 year licence instead, .. This so called "temporary licence" used to be one year before..Better than nothing.smile.png

I was forced to do this color and horizontal test but no brakes test this time. I saw also some film in thai. Awful accidents were there on the film..sad.png

You didn't have a NON- O visa ?

Only tourist visa or visa exempt on arrival ?

I was at transport office today and tried to renew my 5 year licence. "no can do" they told because i did no had long time visa at the moment. Well, but i got 2 year licence instead, .. This so called "temporary licence" used to be one year before..Better than nothing.smile.png

I was forced to do this color and horizontal test but no brakes test this time. I saw also some film in thai. Awful accidents were there on the film..sad.png

You didn't have a NON- O visa ?

Only tourist visa or visa exempt on arrival ?

I have single entry tourist visa now on my passport.

Conversely, if I got the Proof Of Residence letter(s) next week and wanted to renew the DL's on 1st August to get the '6 year' licences, could I do that?

Thanks for the help.

No you can not. Residence letter is valid only for one month.

Guess it is hit or miss on getting in on the afternoon showing up at 1pm. On Monday I got there at 1:20pm and was turned away as they had reached the que limit and told to come back the next day at 11:00am. So I showed up at 11:00 and was told to come back at 1:00pm. I failed the stopping the poles in parallel test twice (depth perception) and told to return the next day. I showed up at 12:30 and got a number passed this test this time and was done by 3pm. Maybe I should get my eyes checked.

• 2 weeks later...

went this morning to renew 5 year bike and car licenses. Had to do the depth perception, colour test and watch the video. Even though i had 2 original copies of the Residency Certificates she was happy to take 1 original and a photocopy, saying i can keep the other original for something else!

• 3 weeks later...

I plan to do the following and would appreciate someone just letting me know this will work.

I have to renew my 5 year car and bike driving license on 31st July, a Sunday.

I will arrive on Monday 1st August with 2 original Proof Of Residence letters and this will ensure that I get a 6 year

license.

I am buying a new motorbike on July 6th. For that I will need a Proof Of Residence letter.

I am opening up a new bank account with Bangkok Bank on July 7th and for that I will need a Proof Of Residence letter.

So if I go to immigration on July 5th with my House Book and Passport and get 4 Proof Of Residence letters then I am

OK for buying the bike, opening up the account and renewing the driving licenses.

Is that correct?

Thanks for you help

Basically asking "how long is the proof of residence valid for renewing driving license?".

If you follow the wording on the DLT site it is a full year(!).

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

And for me it "feels like" that less than one month (in your case) will be accepted.

Don't hold me responsible.

Maybe their is a member with personal experience.

Just found another thread with a link to a document from Pattaya expats club:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=250324

There they say "not older than 30 days" both for residence cert. as well as health certificate.

The 30 days (1 month) for the health certificate is consistent with the info from the DLT site.

For the residence certificate it is not.

But again: 30 days should be OK as 5th July to 1st August would be.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks KhunBenq for the feedback.

I just wanted to confirm this before I set off for the immigration office and arranged for the bike purchase etc...I have to do my visa extension

as well, so it all needs to fit together with that and other money transfers.

Thanks again

Edited by dsfbrit

Thanks KhunBenq for the feedback.

I just wanted to confirm this before I set off for the immigration office and arranged for the bike purchase etc...I have to do my visa extension

as well, so it all needs to fit together with that and other money transfers.

Thanks again

not 100% sure but the validity of the Proof of Residence may also depend on when your visa/permission of stay expires. So do your extension before you get the Proof of Residence letters, just to be safe. It is fairly efficient getting the letters now, just have to wait 20 or 30 minutes once you hand the paperwork in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Over 350 posts to browse now so apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

How long after expiry date can 5 year car licence be renewed?  Mine expires early September but I will be overseas &  will not be back until late September

Thanks

On 8/15/2016 at 0:22 PM, prk888 said:

Over 350 posts to browse now so apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

How long after expiry date can 5 year car licence be renewed?  Mine expires early September but I will be overseas &  will not be back until late September

Thanks

No worries, you have up to one year before there will be any repercussions.

License renewal requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

well, I got mine today, I didnt have a medical certificate, so I got told that I needed one so I went off to get one and did the tests at 1pm.... also got told that I would only be able to get a 2 year license, but actually I ended up with a 6 year one... 2 different officials said my 5 year license would be replaced with 2 year as I was only on a METV visa - not sure if this is true, anyone know? I am thinking maybe they issued me with a 6 year by mistake or just gave me the wrong info.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, nickmanchester2 said:

well, I got mine today, I didnt have a medical certificate, so I got told that I needed one so I went off to get one and did the tests at 1pm.... also got told that I would only be able to get a 2 year license, but actually I ended up with a 6 year one... 2 different officials said my 5 year license would be replaced with 2 year as I was only on a METV visa - not sure if this is true, anyone know? I am thinking maybe they issued me with a 6 year by mistake or just gave me the wrong info.

In theory you normally need a long term visa/extension (1 year) to obtain the 5 year. So you it sounds like you were probably lucky.

It is always the case that if you go the day after your birthday then you get nearly 6 years on the 5 year licence.

• Like 1

Hi 

I renewed my car and motorbike 5 year licences on 8th September 2016.

I tried to go in the afternoon the day before but was told to come back the next day as I had to do some training.

Arrived 8am, rugby scrum to get through the front door, managed to get in, did the colour board test and lined up the two sticks. Then they checked the documents and was told I did not need to do the computer questions and put in another classroom. Once the room was full we all did the colour board test again and lined up the two sticks.

Then we watched a video for an hour, which was some thai lady driving and thai man picking up on her mistakes, the rest of the movie was bad youtube vehicle crashes. TV very small and thai audio with english subtitles. unless you sit at the front you will not be able to read the subtitles. No test afterwards.

After that it was pay, photo and licence, I was also charged an extra 100 baht per licence because I had a new passport number even though I was getting a new licence?? Thought it was a bit of piss take.

50 people in the group so took 3 hours to process us all.

Still not sure what the extra training was :)

Documents I took:

Copy of Passport, visa page, entry stamp

2 x resident letters

copy of each of the old licences

2 x medical certs - Not required

copy of UK licence - Not required

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've read many of the posts on this and other threads and all refer to Resident Certificates/Letters from Immigration. I have my name entered on my yellow Tabien Baan. Will this and a copy of same satisfy the requirements of the DLT (Surin Province)?

Edited by Yorkie

Afraid you will have to check with the LTO you use. Much like Immigration, every government office interprets the rules like they want. You are pretty safe with a Yellow Book, since it's purpose is to show a foreigners residence

But there was a period when it was reported here that Pattaya LTO would only take a Residence Certificate ! So who knows

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Afraid you will have to check with the LTO you use. Much like Immigration, every government office interprets the rules like they want. You are pretty safe with a Yellow Book, since it's purpose is to show a foreigners residence

But there was a period when it was reported here that Pattaya LTO would only take a Residence Certificate ! So who knows

I've been through the phonecall/checking routine previously for information from other Government departments. You arrive at the office with the paperwork specified only to find the the provider of the information is not there and other staff tell you that she/he doesn't know what they are talking about. 

I shall be visiting the Immigration Office next week for a 90 day check-in (internet reporting doesn't appear to work out here in the sticks) so I shall ask there. Of course, there is no guarantee that they will get it right.

• 2 weeks later...

as above in post 362 but the times were 9 am and 2pm......initially when I turned up with all my documents the guy said i had to go back to immigration as the exit date on my residence letter was not same as passport..... he was saying the 18 was a 19 !!....the date was smudged but even without my reading glasses you could make out it was 18.... he went off and asked 2 girls opinion and said it was ok but just goes to show how stupid / petty some people can be !!....