Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

26 minutes ago, Ninafarm said:

Well does anyone know if the pink resident card is acceptable at Chonburi instead of a Residence Certificate from Chonburi Immigration?

It would depend on what ID you showed to get initial license, if it was yellowbook/pink ID, then that will be the Number on your license and should be ok to renew etc. if its passport then that number is on license and would be the document and res cert you use.

Edited by Peterw42

On 3/17/2013 at 11:39 AM, craigt3365 said:

I was there the day before and forgot to get the residency cert. The lady told my wife I needed 2. Wifey complained a bit, but the clerk said one was needed for each license.

As you say, you never know. But having to go all the way back to Jomtien and back would probably cost you 200B in gas in case it doesn't work. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Can you post your experience here?

Thanks!

from jomtien it is a 54 return journey of course depending on where you live in Jomtien.....

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not my experience. 

or mine - and i needed a residence cert. just to update my passport no. This is at the Pattaya DLT.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

Wrong in chonburi.

Do you mean the main Chonburi DLT or what is referred to as Pattaya DLT next door to Regents school?

6 hours ago, Bob1million said:

Hi all whats the process at Pattaya Immagration about obtaining a Resident Certificate for a 5 years licence renewal. I have a 1 year retirement visa which is extended every year. So basicly do i walk in and he looks me up on the computer and issues me the certificate.?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You obtain a residence certificate at Immigration in Jomtiem soi 5. Here is my list as of June 2018:

Residence Certificate....

2 color pics

Original passport

Original proof of address.... rental contract, (I usually bring my phone bill and a copy of it)

Signed copies of:- passport photo page

visa stamped in passport (extension in my case)         with last admission stamp.

TM6 card.

Complete form TM 18.

They also wanted a signed copy of the stamp in my passport where the original Non-Imm O was transferred into my new (at the time) passport..

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On attempting to renew from 2 to 5 year license they made us take a color and depth perception test. I put the marker about 1 inch past the other on 2 attempts and failed. I was told to come back tomorrow. They gave back my licenses but kept my paperwork.

Does anyone know how many failed attempts they will allow? My licenses expire by 1 year in mid October.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Bob1million said:

Can someone please advise me
Can i renew my 5 year licence in Bangkok. My first licences were done in Pattaya. And is a resident certificate your actually lease? THANKS ANYONE IN ADVANCE

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, actually you can go to any LTO for a renewal (many from Pattaya go over to Rayong) unlike Immigration DLT's follow the same rules everywhere.  Yes, you will need a residency certificate from the Immigration office where you do your 90 day report.  A lease is not your residency certificate, you use your lease as a document to obtain a residency certificate  

19 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Can someone verify a report that a Med Cert is now required to renew a 5 year license? I get a variety of answers and no one I speak to knows the exact answer.

I can verify that it’s not needed, and has never been, for a 5 year renewal.
Wife was out just last week, without medical certificate, and returned home with two brand spanking new licenses.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:53 PM, pattjock said:

Anyone know how long before expiry date of the license you can re-new it?

Haven't seen or heard any changes to the 90 days before expiry date.

• 1 month later...

On 12/17/2019 at 2:53 PM, pattjock said:

Anyone know how long before expiry date of the license you can re-new it?

I renewed mine, 2 year to 5 year licence on the 16 December 2019.

2 year licence expired on 4 April 2020. New licence expires February 2025.

Edited by ozfarang

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, roger101 said:

I already have my Residence Certificate, what I want to know is "do they fill the renewal form for you and if not where do you get it from"?

Yes they fill it in.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2013 at 6:14 PM, Spalpeen said:

Just wondering. Is this more or less the process that Thai nationals go through to get a licence, or do they have to demonstrate an ability to drive a car? A guy I know who drives a baht bus was hit from behind by a Thai woman driver. He thought it was funny that her driving licence was just one day old.

I went for my first Thai driving license in Sri Racha back in 2006, and back then I think there were two "tests": the first one was the "colour" test and this consisted of the lady pointing to small spots (of different colours) at head-height on a white wall. I remember when the gent in front of me - who was getting on a bit - was up for the colour test. The lady pointed to a colour and asked him which colour it was; his reply: "Colour, I can't even see the pointer". Needless to say, he didn't get to the second test.

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:49 PM, Banana7 said:

Can a 5 year license originally obtained in Bang Lamung be renewed in another province? Anyone know of an office in Bangkok that has a small waiting line for license renewals?

Nong Chok - 10 km east of Minburi (on the road to Chachoengsao). Multi storey building that has the various stages of the procedure on different floors: always loads of people waiting but it works like a well-oiled machine - 2 to 3 hours in my experience.

• 1 month later...

I just moved here from Chiang Mai.  And I just noticed that my license expired half a year ago.  (Actually a cop pointed that out to me). Up in CM, that's not a problem because they give you a one year grace period.  

But now I live here.  

Will I need to start from scratch and go through the two-day class again?  

I'm up for renewal of my drivers licenses (car and bike), but it seems I can't get the necessary Residence Certificate. My embassy doesn't issue these for Thai agencies etc. only for home country official requests. That is an official form I did download from their web site.
The Immigration at Cheng Wattana won't give me a Certificate, as I am here (since many years) on a Non-Im "O" w/ multipe entries. They claim, they only issue such Certificates to folks on a 1-year visa, meaning I should apply for a retirement visa, which I definitely will not do. I don't pay them unnecessary 1.900 baht AND put down 800K Baht in a Thai bank account, just to extend my drivers licences.
So I  wonder what to do. I already asked the DLT, which kind of residence certificate they accept, and Embassy and Immigration are the only two sources they accept.
So now what to do?

7 hours ago, SamMunich said:

So I  wonder what to do. I already asked the DLT, which kind of residence certificate they accept, and Embassy and Immigration are the only two sources they accept.
So now what to do?

You are here on a short term Visa, which does not even require you to do 90 day reports, yet want a 5 year  driving licence. ( I presume you are after 5 year licences). If you have managed to obtain Multiple Entry Non-Imm-Os perhaps you have a Thai wife and a one year marriage extension is an option. Prior to Covid were Non-Imm-Os, ME, not getting harder to obtain anyhow? 

Edited by jacko45k