Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

6 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Sorry, I can't answer your questions as I only completed the process as far as I needed to, as I had already made an appointment in person at the Rayong DLT. Your certificate is the same as mine, and I printed a copy off my desktop. Perhaps you could resolve your doubts by going and making an appointment at the Banglamung office?

Yes..........i will take all the required documents and may just get lucky on the day

No great rush, dont need to go before the first week in December, just thought i/d get the video out the way................dont want to get the other docs too early as they/ll expire

Edited by thaiflyer1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Yes..........i will take all the required documents and may just get lucky on the day

No great rush, dont need to go before the first week in December, just thought i/d get the video out the way................dont want to get the other docs too early as they/ll expire

I went to enquire at Rayong on 5th October, a week before my licence expired, and was given an appointment for next Thursday 28th. As far as I am aware nothing bad happens unless your licence is 12 months overdue, so if you don't get to renew on the day it's not a problem.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon

I will have to renew my car driving licence beginning of the year.

Has anyone a recent experience in Pattaya ?

These would be my questions

. how long before can you do it ?

. still needed I imagine medical certificate and certificate of residence

. can we go straight to the office or any appointment to be taken
all recent experience would be appreciated and helpfull

Thank you

Have a nice afternoon

• Like 1

Hi there, I've held a Thai drivers licence for the past 20 years all renewals have been from the transport office in Pattaya. I dread going there as there's always a spanner thrown in the works. Even though I've held a licence for all those years and I've always used the same registered address in Naklua. Is there any alternative as I also hold the title for a condo in Bangkok. I've been to the local transport office near my Bangkok condo and  it's probably no more than 30 minutes to make the licence renewal, it's rarely busy. Thanks.

Edited by NONG CHOK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 8:58 AM, hackjam said:

Does anyone know what are the requirement's/paperwork needed to get an international driving permit in Chonburi?

I did get one a few years back but cant remember what I took.

I did one 3 months ago.

Took the requirements from here -

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

The only change was you had to queue first with your documents outside behind the building under a large awning to have them checked. You then took these up to the office (4th floor from memory) and dumped them in a tray and waited to be called.

Majority of Thais queuing but for car/bike licences and it was very busy.

Not sure how Omicron may affect the operation 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Is the pattaya land and transport office still taking foreigners in the morning for renewal of 5 year driving licence as first come first serve? 

I wish to go this week to renew my expired 5 year driving licence I will have all the necessary paperwork and my licence expired at the end of October I could not go and renew it before or after due to personal problems.  So I am able to do it now.

Regards 

Scotsman   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Renewed my 5yr licenses yesterday. Works like this in Pattaya currently:

1. Need to go DLT office to make appointment (not aware of possibility to online or by phone). Rode there and got appointment in 2wks.

2. Watch the 1hr online education program and print the certificate at the end. No issues, just need the one hr. Get medical certificate (100 baht) and residence certificate (300 baht)

3. Actual appointment (for me 2.30pm, option also 9AM). Only test was color blindness test. In-out about 2hr+, mostly waiting... (for test, for payment, for photo, for license). Not too bad.

Cost 255 for moto and 505 for car, total 760 for the two. About 20+ people there so not crowded (maybe because last day before songran holidays?), much better experience than before with the disorganised herds filling the 2nd floor area, now much more comfortable. Had they possibility to book online, it would be as good as it can be in Thailand...

Documents needed see pic (got this when made appointment). Residence cert and medical cert  one original is ok, 2nd can be copy i.e no need to pay for two even if two licenses. Full set of document copies needed for each license.

renewaldocs.jpg

Edited by mran66

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 PM, mran66 said:

Residence cert and medical cert  one original is ok, 2nd can be copy i.e no need to pay for two even if two licenses.

Even for residence certificate, was copy enough, thought you needed photo on that. 

What did you need for the residence permit at immigration and how much was it.?

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Even for residence certificate, was copy enough, thought you needed photo on that. 

What did you need for the residence permit at immigration and how much was it.?

Yes copy ok for the 2nd, one original enough. 300 baht for immigration. I recall immigration wanted 2 photos (1 stapled to certificate, 1 for their files) , and usual set of copies of passport pages incl entry stamp visa tm6, and something to prove your address (utility bill, house book or something like that) 

Edited by mran66
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

TM30?

Would expect so but not sure, let someone else with experience to comment.

I always use house book copy for everything immigration as it proven to work. Did not copy tm30 for my application and not asked. 

• 4 weeks later...

Report 10/6 2022

Arrived 08.40 for 09.00 appointment. 

Checked my documents for both car & motorcycle. 

Copy passport (2)

Copy permission to stay. (2)

Copy of each expired license, both sides. (same paper) 

Residence certificate from immigration, copy for #2

Health certificate, copy for #2. 

Printout proof of watching training video. (2)

Passport and old driving licenses. 

Wait until 09.30 then go upstairs. 

Only colorblind test and reaction test. 

Wait 20 min, then paid 505 baht for car and 255 for motorcycle. 

They only take cash.

You'll get number for photo. 

Go downstairs and take photo. 

Wait 20 min and guy came out with both driving license and receipts. 

My former car license expired 2 years and 11 moths ago. 

My motorcycle license expired 3 years and 11 months ago. 

No problem. 

I was horrified that they let people with shorts take driving license, when I lived on Koh Samui they would not issue unless you were properly dressed. ???? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Report 10/6 2022

Arrived 08.40 for 09.00 appointment. 

Checked my documents for both car & motorcycle. 

Copy passport (2)

Copy permission to stay. (2)

Copy of each expired license, both sides. (same paper) 

Residence certificate from immigration, copy for #2

Health certificate, copy for #2. 

Printout proof of watching training video. (2)

Passport and old driving licenses. 

Wait until 09.30 then go upstairs. 

Only colorblind test and reaction test. 

Wait 20 min, then paid 505 baht for car and 255 for motorcycle. 

They only take cash.

You'll get number for photo. 

Go downstairs and take photo. 

Wait 20 min and guy came out with both driving license and receipts. 

My former car license expired 2 years and 11 moths ago. 

My motorcycle license expired 3 years and 11 months ago. 

No problem. 

I was horrified that they let people with shorts take driving license, when I lived on Koh Samui they would not issue unless you were properly dressed. ???? 

I am horrified that they did not make you take the full test seeing that your old license had expired years ago, never mind HO you were horrified people wearing  shorts 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

When I renewed my licence I wore trousers....  in the ‘exam room’ (colour reaction test etc), I saw a handful of Thai’s wearing shorts... no issues. 

The last time I renewed my licence I wore shorts.... the main examiner (bossy lady) was quite rude, bo!!ocked me for not wearing trousers, I told her "I have trousers with me and can go and change, but are you going to make those 4 Thai guys (in the same group) also change ?”.... 

... Ok ok.. no need, was her reply !!! ( I don’t think she liked foreigners very much !! )..... 

Next time I’ll wear trousers...  I get it, don’t offend the institution etc...  but if its a rule, it's a rule for everyone... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sometime said:

I am horrified that they did not make you take the full test seeing that your old license had expired years ago, never mind HO you were horrified people wearing  shorts 

A pity Samui is not more concerned about the standard of driving on the island, than having a problem wearing shorts to the licensing centre. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A pity Samui is not more concerned about the standard of driving on the island, than having a problem wearing shorts to the licensing centre. 

Nodaway it seems like it's OK not wearing a helmet as long as you wear a mask. ???? 

Anyone done a recent renewal at Pattaya and can confirm that the color test is now done with a traffic light just using red, green and yellow? Also did you have to provide a resident certificate?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Anyone done a recent renewal at Pattaya and can confirm that the color test is now done with a traffic light just using red, green and yellow? Also did you have to provide a resident certificate?

Yes on both questions 3 weeks ago

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sometime said:

Forgot to add also the reaction brake test.

Thought we were going to be there all day as one chap failed at least 10 times , he blamed it on his funny feet so he took his flip flops off.

And finally passed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, sometime said:

Roughly how big is the traffic light and do they still do the perception test where you move the two sticks? I always had a problem with the color test when it was dozens of little dots.

Edited by giddyup

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Roughly how big is the traffic light and do they still do the perception test where you move the two sticks? I always had a problem with the color test when it was dozens of little dots.

They dont have the perception test any longer. Due to Covid, people touching the buttons.

With the greatest of respect Giddy, if you are worrying about the size of the lights and the little dots that cause you grief, should you be driving?

Edited by recom273

Has anyone ever used a driving school to get a DL?

I have held a UK licence for 30+ years, but I must have lost it somewhere.

I need to the whole test again, and to be totally honest, I cant be arsed to go through the farse.

What is the procedure? We called one place up and the procedure was vague (maybe intentional). The course is 4 days, not needed but whatever, I might swell get the wife a ticket at the same time.

Someone said they completed the theory test for you, and I'm hoping that I can just make an appointment at the DLT, get a certificate of residence from immigration, the certificate from the driving school and do the photo, however, if I need to the color and reaction test then so be it. Anything less, I might aswell do the government test for 350B, but I just hate that stupid video and computer test with a passion.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No little dots normal traffic lights half size and you stand 6 feet away

• Thanks 1