Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

Anybody renewed their 5 year license recently?

Mine is due on 1st August and wondering if the process is the same, i.e. go to DLT office by Regents and get an appointment prior.

Going after the 1st August still result in getting close to six years, or have they stopped this now?

Any updates appreciated.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:01 AM, Mattd said:

Anybody renewed their 5 year license recently?

"All Land Transport Offices have suspended all services related to driving license and transport personal license from March 31st 2020 until the state of emergency is terminated or until there is another announcement."
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

In other words: currently I can't renew my 5-year-driving-license which expires at the end of June 2021. My wife called LTD Banglamung and asked for it. 
Answer LTD: NO driving-license extensions at this time for foreigners, because they have to sit with lots of other foreigners for more than one hour in a small room and look the information-video (infection risk).
Extension for Thai-people is okay because they can look the video online and confirm it later via app and ID-Card number-code.
Question of my wife: When will it be possible for foreigners to extend their license again?
Answer LTD: We don't know yet. You have to follow our information on social media or phone us again next month. 

Edited by zenobit
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, zenobit said:

"All Land Transport Offices have suspended all services related to driving license and transport personal license from March 31st 2020 until the state of emergency is terminated or until there is another announcement."
https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

In other words: currently I can't renew my 5-year-driving-license which expires at the end of June 2021. My wife called LTD Banglamung and asked for it. 
Answer LTD: NO driving-license extensions at this time for foreigners, because they have to sit with lots of other foreigners for more than one hour in a small room and look the information-video (infection risk).
Extension for Thai-people is okay because they can look the video online and confirm it later via app and ID-Card number-code.
Question of my wife: When will it be possible for foreigners to extend their license again?
Answer LTD: We don't know yet. You have to follow our information on social media or phone us again next month. 

Unless they have closed again, this is not correct, certainly were allowing renewals with a prior appointment.

21 hours ago, Mattd said:

Unless they have closed again, this is not correct, certainly were allowing renewals with a prior appointment.

Believe it or not. My wife definitely has no reason to lie to me about the content of the phone call with the LTD officer. Nor does it make sense that the officer lied to my wife.

Perhaps it is handled differently in other LTD branches as well. According to TELEPHONE INFORMATION FROM LAST TUESDAY, the rules I have already mentioned apply to Banglamung in any case:
• Driving license extension for Thais is currently possible with prior appointment via app.
• It is currently not possible to extend driving licenses for foreigners by making an appointment on site (not possible via the app anyway). 

As a reason, my wife was told that Thai-people can look the video online and confirm it later via app and ID-Card number-code. Foreigner can't do this because they can not confirm the app with their passport number and would have to look the video in a small TV-room with other foreigners (infection risk).

Edited by zenobit

My wife renewed her 5 year license this morning, she is Thai but had the following information which might be useful.

All the procedures that were on the ground floor inside the building including car tax renewal and the machine for DL renewal tickets are now outside in large open tents.

There is a desk outside where your documents are checked and a card with a number on it is given to you.

They call numbers in batches of ten for the eye and braking tests upstairs, foreigners were also in her batch so it seems they are also able to renew whether by prior appointment or just turning up I don't know. Some agents were also in evidence helping foreigners.  

The video room is now closed and foreigners now have to go to one of four locations away from the center to watch the video, transport to the video location is apparently provided if you want it.

Thai people will previously have watched the video on line, and already taken an online test, they will have an appointment.

That's about all I could get from her regarding the actual procedure.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, zenobit said:

Believe it or not. My wife definitely has no reason to lie to me about the content of the phone call with the LTD officer. Nor does it make sense that the officer lied to my wife.

I am not even suggesting that your wife is lying, what is more likely is she has been told bum info by whoever she spoke to on the phone, absolutely nothing strange in that.

What I do know is Foreigners are renewing their licenses at the moment, I am just trying to find out the procedure from someone who has recently, simply as calling DLT is a waste of time.

17 hours ago, Rimmer said:

My wife renewed her 5 year license this morning, she is Thai but had the following information which might be useful.

All the procedures that were on the ground floor inside the building including car tax renewal and the machine for DL renewal tickets are now outside in large open tents.

There is a desk outside where your documents are checked and a card with a number on it is given to you.

They call numbers in batches of ten for the eye and braking tests upstairs, foreigners were also in her batch so it seems they are also able to renew whether by prior appointment or just turning up I don't know. Some agents were also in evidence helping foreigners.  

The video room is now closed and foreigners now have to go to one of four locations away from the center to watch the video, transport to the video location is apparently provided if you want it.

Thai people will previously have watched the video on line, and already taken an online test, they will have an appointment.

That's about all I could get from her regarding the actual procedure.

Thanks, I will perhaps go to there and find out, or see if my son can go and get the info, worst case, will engage an agent to assist.

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Thanks, I will perhaps go to there and find out, or see if my son can go and get the info, worst case, will engage an agent to assist.

I believe if you go there with all the correct paperwork and IF they have space that day they will give you a ticket for that same day, if there is no space on that day they will check your paperwork and if all is correct give you an appointment sometime later.

19 hours ago, Rimmer said:

".....foreigners were also in her batch so it seems they are also able to renew whether by prior appointment or just turning up I don't know.....

The video room is now closed and foreigners now have to go to one of four locations away from the center to watch the video, transport to the video location is apparently provided if you want it....."

There are driving schools that organize driver license renewals for foreigners (they advertise this service on Facebook). Perhaps the foreigners in the queue were customers of such a driving school.

The "video solution" does not sound desirable to me personally. I find it much easier to follow the instructions of the officer my wife spoke to on the phone and to postpone the extension until the service is back to normal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, raybarrell said:

Is the service back to normal yet as I need to renew my license? Please??

I renewed my licenses back in May of this year, and even though they were expired by 6 months I was still allowed to just take the color vision and depth perception test to get my licenses renewed.  No appointment needed or agency used. I showed up at 1 in the afternoon as was out the door in a little under 2 hours. 

Just make sure you have all the proper paperwork (medical and residence certificates and copies of passport)

Does anyone know how long you can postpone an appointment to renew your 5 year driver's license without facing serious consequences like refusal of the renewal?

I ask because the LTD (Banglamung) has been making  appointments for foreigners now again since the beginning of July and — with a look at the current Covid infection figures — I would prefer still to wait with my next visit. However, my driver's license expired on June 26th. ????

2 minutes ago, zenobit said:

Does anyone know how long you can postpone an appointment to renew your 5 year driver's license without facing serious consequences like refusal of the renewal?

I ask because the LTD (Banglamung) has been making  appointments for foreigners now again since the beginning of July and — with a look at the current Covid infection figures — I would prefer still to wait with my next visit. However, my driver's license expired on June 26th. ????

If done within 12 months of expiry it is a normal renewal, after the 12 months you will need to re-do the theory test.

How does your insurance work driving around un-licenced ?

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

If done within 12 months of expiry it is a normal renewal, after the 12 months you will need to re-do the theory test.

How does your insurance work driving around un-licenced ?

It probably doesn't work, but we live in very uncomfortable times with only negative options. Driving for a limited time with an expired license seem to me a less bad option than sitting during the climax of a dangerous epidemic for hours with lots of people in a closed room. 

By the way: thanks for the helpful information about postponing an LTD appointment. ????

58 minutes ago, zenobit said:

It probably doesn't work, but we live in very uncomfortable times with only negative options. Driving for a limited time with an expired license seem to me a less bad option than sitting during the climax of a dangerous epidemic for hours with lots of people in a closed room. 

By the way: thanks for the helpful information about postponing an LTD appointment. ????

Considering the chances of catching covid at the LTD are far smaller than having an expensive at fault car accident...

I personally would choose to not drive un-licenced.... but hey, each to their own.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Considering the chances of catching covid at the LTD are far smaller than having an expensive at fault car accident...

When I said "Driving for a limited time with an expired license" I meant only sometimes very short distances like from our home to the next 7-Eleven and back. 
My wife will drive the most and especially the longer distances during this time.

Does anyone know by chance where there is still a small clinic in Pattaya where you can get a health certificate for the extension of your 5-year driver's license inexpensively and easily? 
The small clinic near Soi Siam Country Road, where I was five years ago, unfortunately no longer exists and I don't want to go to a hospital because of it. 

1 hour ago, zenobit said:

Does anyone know by chance where there is still a small clinic in Pattaya where you can get a health certificate for the extension of your 5-year driver's license inexpensively and easily? 
The small clinic near Soi Siam Country Road, where I was five years ago, unfortunately no longer exists and I don't want to go to a hospital because of it. 

I received my certificate in a small clinic on Soi Khao Noi (in March). Coming from the railway road heading east, just past the Bkk Bank branch (same side), maybe 100m or so..

Was in the new format,. Paid for one, thenphotocopied at home so that I had 2no for the 2 licence applications. 

Edited by dabhand
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zenobit said:

I got my medical certificate May of this year at a small clinic on Soi Nern Plab Wan, all paperwork and screening was done sitting outside, 150 baht, located on the left hand side while driving towards Pattaya City, a few hundred meters east of the train tracks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9316139,100.9072613,3a,75y,224.23h,90.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_lEbLv1s-c_U9XxU3ERf_A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zenobit said:

The small clinic next to the Tin Cup/opposite LK Metro entrance on soi Bukhaow charges 100 baht...got mine yesterday.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Department of Land Transport in Banglamung yesterday to have my 5-year driver's license extended and due to the Covid measures, the visit was much easier this time than last time:

1. Limited number of people, thanks to prior appointment.
2. The hour-long traffic video could be viewed online at home.
3. The time for the complete processing including tests as well as the creation of the new license took just an hour (for five years it took almost a day to complete).

LTD.png

Edited by zenobit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2013 at 6:14 PM, Spalpeen said:

Just wondering. Is this more or less the process that Thai nationals go through to get a licence, or do they have to demonstrate an ability to drive a car? A guy I know who drives a baht bus was hit from behind by a Thai woman driver. He thought it was funny that her driving licence was just one day old.

Irrelevant.  This is about renewal  not passing a driving qualification.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone was wondering.... here goes

https://www.dlt.go.th/site/chonburi/m-news/1269/view.php?_did=33124

Mr. Chirut Wisanchit, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, revealed that the epidemic situation of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) still has an increasing rate of the number of infected people. Especially in the highest and strictly controlled areas, 13 provinces, namely Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom, Narathiwat, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Pattani, Yala, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Songkhla, Chonburi, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. and Chachoengsao The Center for the Epidemic Management of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) has issued an order to control the spread of COVID-19. Department of Transport took measures to comply with such orders as follows 

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Q.  Is the DLT Banglamung office still open despite the current state of lockdown expected to last until at least 31 August??

It was closed for licences and taxing vehicles. I would expect that to be extended too. If you want to tax a vehicle you can drive to Rayong as there they have drive through open.

I just want to tax my motorbike for the next year. It is 5 years old now and so also needs a test certificate. Could someone please tell me where I can go to do this -if it can be done that is.

I tried DLT.Go.th but that was not working properly this afternoon. If the information is there I will try it again later.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by dsfbrit