Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You are here on a short term Visa, which does not even require you to do 90 day reports, yet want a 5 year  driving licence. ( I presume you are after 5 year licences). If you have managed to obtain Multiple Entry Non-Imm-Os perhaps you have a Thai wife and a one year marriage extension is an option. Prior to Covid were Non-Imm-Os, ME, not getting harder to obtain anyhow? 

Slightly off the facts, what you assume. I'm here since the last century, first working, now each year on a 1 year Non-IM "O" /multy entries without a Thai wife and marriage extensions. I get these visas from the Thai Embassy abroad without any problems. IMHO there is a scuffle going on between the Foreign Ministry (Embassies) and the Interior Ministry (Police/Immigration), so they don't accept the others visa.

But that still doesn't explain, why the immgration behaves like that.
And I still wonder, where and how I can get a Residence Certificate in order to get a new driving licence...

On 5/9/2020 at 5:15 PM, SamMunich said:

I'm up for renewal of my drivers licenses (car and bike), but it seems I can't get the necessary Residence Certificate. My embassy doesn't issue these for Thai agencies etc. only for home country official requests. That is an official form I did download from their web site.
The Immigration at Cheng Wattana won't give me a Certificate, as I am here (since many years) on a Non-Im "O" w/ multipe entries. They claim, they only issue such Certificates to folks on a 1-year visa, meaning I should apply for a retirement visa, which I definitely will not do. I don't pay them unnecessary 1.900 baht AND put down 800K Baht in a Thai bank account, just to extend my drivers licences.
So I  wonder what to do. I already asked the DLT, which kind of residence certificate they accept, and Embassy and Immigration are the only two sources they accept.
So now what to do?

As I understand it: IF you have carried out a 90day report (i.e. at Chaengwattana Immigration) you can receive   Certificate of Residence from the same Immigration Office.

Which Embassy will not issue an Affirmation of Residence letter (I know the British Embassy still does - but only if you are on a Resident Visa which your Non-Imm O is).

Another option is to secure a Tambien Baan - Yellow house book (and pink ID card), you can use this as Proof of Address when applying for a Thai driving licence.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I understand it: IF you have carried out a 90day report (i.e. at Chaengwattana Immigration) you can receive   Certificate of Residence from the same Immigration Office.

Which Embassy will not issue an Affirmation of Residence letter (I know the British Embassy still does - but only if you are on a Resident Visa which your Non-Imm O is).

Another option is to secure a Tambien Baan - Yellow house book (and pink ID card), you can use this as Proof of Address when applying for a Thai driving licence.

I'd be happy, if that were the case, but:
My visa need no 90 days trip to chaeng Wattana but latest after 89 days I have to exit the country. The visa is a "Non-IM O" with multiple entries, issued by a Thai Embassy. This visa is perfect legal, especially, as visas are normally issued abroad and not in the destination country.
I know of several Embassies here, that don't issue Certificate of Residence for use in Thailand. Only for use "at home".
As for the Yellow Tabien Baan, you won't get one, if you rent out an appartment in a building, where there are several, maybe hundreds of appartments, all owned by one owner company. No owner will be giving out such Yellow Books for fear, he might have to take responsibility for whatever he can imagine.
So it seems there is no solution, at least no clean and sober solution to this problem?

Edited by SamMunich

4 hours ago, SamMunich said:

I'd be happy, if that were the case, but:
My visa need no 90 days trip to chaeng Wattana but latest after 89 days I have to exit the country. The visa is a "Non-IM O" with multiple entries, issued by a Thai Embassy. This visa is perfect legal, especially, as visas are normally issued abroad and not in the destination country.
I know of several Embassies here, that don't issue Certificate of Residence for use in Thailand. Only for use "at home".
As for the Yellow Tabien Baan, you won't get one, if you rent out an appartment in a building, where there are several, maybe hundreds of appartments, all owned by one owner company. No owner will be giving out such Yellow Books for fear, he might have to take responsibility for whatever he can imagine.
So it seems there is no solution, at least no clean and sober solution to this problem?

If you have a Non-Immigrant Type O Multiple Entry Visa based on Marriage you can extend the Visa by another 60 days (in effect giving you 5 months) without having to leave the country. When you extend for 60 days you would also have to carry out our 90 day report, at the same time you could also apply for a Residence Certificate.

Thus: Perhaps look into the possibilities of extending your visa without having to leave Thailand.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

If you have a Non-Immigrant Type O Multiple Entry Visa based on Marriage you can extend the Visa by another 60 days (in effect giving you 5 months) without having to leave the country. When you extend for 60 days you would also have to carry out our 90 day report, at the same time you could also apply for a Residence Certificate.

Thus: Perhaps look into the possibilities of extending your visa without having to leave Thailand.

Richard, do you actually READ, what I wrote? I wrote I don`t need a retirement visa and dump 800K Baht in Thailand (Goodbye, my money) and I'm NOT married and I don't need an extension. All I need is a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.
And it seems, they only issue that CR, if you have bought your way through them by means of retirment visa.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the actual situation:

Went to renew my 5 years license which expires next week. There was a long queue outside on a searate desk - only for Khon Thai, no farangs allowed. 

After 8, got a number inside for the chcik-in desk upstairs. When it was my turn, she checked all my documents, stapled their form to it and asked me - rather arroganly - whether I was able to read English and pointed to a sign that said: "We are open again on 20 July". You can continue to drive with your old license. She also said, they expect 1000 Farang to show up on that day.

There were some farang admitted already, seems they had appointments and/or came with an agent. All others were sent away.

Hello .. does anyone know if I can or where I can download the application forms for both car & bike 5 yrs license renewal ?

I would rather fill in the form in comfort of my home before  going rather than having the stress of doing it in  a queue when it's 30+c 

Cheers in advance   .. be safe ????  

17 minutes ago, banglay said:

Hello .. does anyone know if I can or where I can download the application forms for both car & bike 5 yrs license renewal ?

I would rather fill in the form in comfort of my home before  going rather than having the stress of doing it in  a queue when it's 30+c 

https://itsbetterinthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/03/Application_For_Driving_License_Blank.pdf

5 hours ago, banglay said:

The lady did it for me upstairs last time I went.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2013 at 9:42 AM, rmicheald said:

Please be advised, you can NOT apply for a license more than 3 MONTHS PRIOR to expiration. I went today (October ???? and my birthday is in January. I was not allowed to proceed because the gestapo at the desk checking papers said I was too early before my birthday.

The first time I renewed I went a month early and was told to come back after it expired. I understand you can use your old license for up to 1 year after expiration. All my Thai friends and relatives say the same.

Edited by paulbrow
Add info

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need one, use a Work Permit or a Yellow House Book. 

Countless reports of people who have been refused their Yellow Book...  ;(

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You can pay 500 baht under the table to get the Cert. of Residence if you are not legal. Usually, it's free.

Not free. It's 300 baht.

PS: This is the Pattaya forum, so this is information for Pattaya DLT

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Countless reports of people who have been refused their Yellow Book...  ;(

Not free. It's 300 baht.

PS: This is the Pattaya forum, so this is information for Pattaya DLT

Report it then, they are taking advantage of gullible people. Yellow book official proof of your address.

Cert. of Residence is free.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Cert. of Residence is free.

Yes its free if you want to come back in 2 weeks time to pick it up..only to find that it was lost or the big wig signing the paperwork is not in the office today etc etc etc...the Banglamung DLT is reported as not excepting yellow books.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm from Holland and live here since January My question is, can I get to change my Dutch drivers-license into a Thai drivers-license? My Dutch license is valid for all categories and I have an International Drivers-license.
Can anybody tell me whats the most easy way to obtain a Thai license?

Thanks, John.

2 minutes ago, JRBR said:

Hello, I'm from Holland and live here since January My question is, can I get to change my Dutch drivers-license into a Thai drivers-license? My Dutch license is valid for all categories and I have an International Drivers-license.
Can anybody tell me whats the most easy way to obtain a Thai license?

Thanks, John.

This pinned topic includes a list of requirements. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 12:44 PM, johng said:

Yes its free if you want to come back in 2 weeks time to pick it up..only to find that it was lost or the big wig signing the paperwork is not in the office today etc etc etc...the Banglamung DLT is reported as not excepting yellow books.

They accepted mine 6 years ago, though I had to take copies from both blue and yellow book, and have the originals with me.

I'm due again this week, so will see if things have changed

On 7/18/2020 at 8:55 AM, Peterw42 said:
On 7/18/2020 at 8:37 AM, banglay said:

https://itsbetterinthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2020/03/Application_For_Driving_License_Blank.pdf

That link is dead.

Anyone has an updated one?

57 minutes ago, Susco said:

That link is dead.

Anyone has an updated one?

Not sure if this is the right form. The site was updated last year though so maybe ?

https://www.thethailandlife.com/learning-to-drive-in-thailand

6. Application Forms

>> Download the license application form

>> Download the English translation

international-thai-driving-license-form.pdf

thai-driving-license-english-translation.pdf

Edit:
Checking on the DLT website and they show the same (Thai) form as noted above.
https://www.dlt.go.th/site/chonburi/download.php?ref=rTEjLJ1iq2kZoz13M290MTysrT1jpJ1Sq2IZpT15M3E0K2xzrQAjAT00qmEZZz1kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Thanks, on that page is also a link to the DLT website, which shows the below screen. I assume that is just another example of Thai government incompetence, and can be ignored?

image.png.9ed8cf8781396701b8dd4d6009cb646a.png

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

Thanks, on that page is also a link to the DLT website, which shows the below screen. I assume that is just another example of Thai government incompetence, and can be ignored?

image.png.9ed8cf8781396701b8dd4d6009cb646a.png

I don't see that notification anywhere on the DLT website. On Google Maps it shows as them being open (Mon-Fri, 08:30-16:30).

(Seems Thailand has had a couple of "State of Emergencies" this year. One for the covid situation which was extended (again) until after the New Year and another for the demonstrations that were happening in Bangkok. That SoE was lifted in late October though.)

I just went to the DLT in Banglamung to get the application for the 5 year renewal

Was answered there is no form, you just sign your name.

Have to bring certificate of residence.

I said I have yellow book and pink card, and got answered only 2 year with yellow book.

Asked what the difference, was told new law in Thailand, because yellow book and pink card is only temporary.

New law in your head you fat bitch.

So now I have to go get CoR for 300 Baht, then pay 500+ Baht for the license and sit there all morning.

Solution will be no driver license, and pay a few hundred baht when get stopped because I "forgot to bring" the license.

<deleted> the idiots

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I just went to the DLT in Banglamung to get the application for the 5 year renewal

I said I have yellow book and pink card, and got answered only 2 year with yellow book.

Asked what the difference, was told new law in Thailand, because yellow book and pink card is only temporary.

So now I have to go get CoR for 300 Baht, then pay 500+ Baht for the license and sit there all morning.

Solution will be no driver license, and pay a few hundred baht when get stopped because I "forgot to bring" the license.

<deleted> the idiots

your attitude says it all, more about you than the lady you spoke to.  Do as you are informed, or just don't bother.  Its not your country.  Their gig, their rules.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Susco said:

<deleted> the idiots

now now my good chap,don,t get your knickers in a twist...welcome to Thai bureaucracy :cheesy:

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

your attitude says it all, more about you than the lady you spoke to.  Do as you are informed, or just don't bother.  Its not your country.  Their gig, their rules.  

The fat lady doesn't make her own rules,

Get lost

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

They accepted mine 6 years ago, though I had to take copies from both blue and yellow book, and have the originals with me.

I'm due again this week, so will see if things have changed

Yes, do report back.... their unwillingness to accept alternatives to a COR is relatively new as I recall someone posting wrt the change.