Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

49 minutes ago, sometime said:

No little dots normal traffic lights half size and you stand 6 feet away

What about the perception test where you had to move the two sticks together?

Edited by giddyup

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

They dont have the perception test any longer. Due to Covid, people touching the buttons.

With the greatest of respect Giddy, if you are worrying about the size of the lights and the little dots that cause you grief, should you be driving?

I'm color blind so always had a problem with the color test. As for whether I should be driving, I guess driving for 60 years with only one accident, which wasn't my fault, and the last 13 years in Thailand, also accident free, speaks for itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, giddyup said:

I'm color blind so always had a problem with the color test. As for whether I should be driving, I guess driving for 60 years with only one accident, which wasn't my fault, and the last 13 years in Thailand, also accident free, speaks for itself.

Go the same time as a friend that can make hand signs 

• Like 1

Hello!

Anyone have experience renewing over 2 years expired license in Chiang Mai? 

I booked a slot online. But I am reading mixed information that over 1 year I have to start from scratch. I am thinking to do it in Chiang Mai.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone renewed a 5 year licence at Pattaya recently? Wondering what they require besides passport and old licence? Somebody said that you need letter of residence plus a doctors letter. Pretty sure I never had to provide either of those things the two times I renewed previously.

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone renewed a 5 year licence at Pattaya recently? Wondering what they require besides passport and old licence? Somebody said that you need letter of residence plus a doctors letter. Pretty sure I never had to provide either of those things the two times I renewed previously.

Don't forget the online video certificate, they wont to see a hard copy of your pass

On 3/14/2013 at 9:11 AM, gmac said:

The thing about forums is that although many subjects appear to get done to death, there are always those who need up to date information and who welcome a rehash of an old subject. My licences run out in 2015 and I certainly don't want to have to search through 5 year old threads for out of date information when the time comes. OP, well done and keep up the good work.

The info is very region specific too .. I did mine two months back, I was told to bring 2 copies of everything, and they only took one. A doctors note was needed in Khon Kaen DLT and we only did a colourbliness test where you are shown a card with the dotted number and a reaction test. All other tests had been stopped due to the fear of spreading covid through touch. I too was in at 8.30 and out the door by 9.15. I hope they stop the ridiculous video in favour of an online video and a code to tell you that it has been completed. The only true way to find out is to follow their instructions and even then it depends upon the direction of the wind if the instructions are followed.

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What online video certificate and pass?

There is now an online video - https://dlt-elearning.com

First you answer 3 or 4 multiple choice questions, then you watch the video and then at intervals the video will stop and they repeat the questions. The video will not proceed until you answer the questions, every time you click on some other app or window on your computer the video stops, I actually sat and watched it all, but you could just as well walk away and keep an eye on the video to see if its at its pause state about every 20 mins.

As usual, one (all) of the questions was worded in a strange manner, and I got one question completely wrong for the duration, and still passed. The questions aren't at all connected with the video.

When you get to the end, they give you a QR code / completion screen - I think you are supposed to print it off, but they asked to see a photo in the office before you book an appointment to do the color / reaction tests.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

My 5 year license has expired. I live in Chantaburi and have used the Soi Dao DLT office for getting my license and 2 subsequent 5 year extensions. I went to ask them what the requirements were beforehand, and got a fairly cranky older woman (immediately thought, here I go), she listed off the doctor's certificate, photocopies of passport and visa, watch the video and a residence certificate. At this point she said I would have to go to Immigration in Chantaburi city as per normal, OR if they wouldn't provide it I would have to go to the Australian Embassy at which point my ears twitched.

Anyway without checking the Embassy website I went and asked Chantaburi Immigration (who have previously issued this to me), and spoke to two men there who both claimed that due to "orders" they were no longer issuing it, and I would have to go to Embassy Bangkok. It wasn't clear to me whether the new boss he was referring to was the provincial boss or higher. I could see it was no point arguing so left without a fuss. Of course the Embassy clearly specifies they have nothing to do with it. Where to from here, I reside at my wife's address and am not on tabien baan etc. Can you renew your license in another province, it wouldn't be my first choice due to it being a hassle but I suppose I could do Rayong or Pattaya easy enough

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my 5 years license renewed in Chiang Mai. Car and motorbike, both expired more than 2 years. Here is my experience.

Condition:

• Entered Thailand with non-imm visa in late July
  • Applied renewal on 1/Aug
  • Out of Thailand for 3 years due to COVID
  • Licenses were expired more than 2 years

Documents:

• Residence certificate (I paid an agent to do it through immigration, because I didn't have time. Embassy option was not possible due to the length I stayed here, too short to issue it).
  • Passport
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Medical certificate
  • expired license 
  • Printout of the QR code of the online course certificate

Procedure:

• Took online course even before I arrive in Thailand.
  • Walk in to the Chiang Mai hang dong branch, arrived at 8.00. There was already a long que.
  • Entered the building at 8.15, queued again at the information on the second floor. However if you are sure with the document, probably you can skip this process.
  • Go to counter 27 without any numbers assigned, just directly give the document at the counter
  • As my license was expired over 1 year, exam at 10.00. 
  • 2 exams, one for car, one for motorbike. They register your fingerprint for verification.
  • Pass the exam. Over 45/50. 
  • Go to counter 27. They gave me the number for other counters to pay.
  • Number called, fee paid. 
  • Proceed to take pictures, and print the new license, good until 2028. It's renewed license, not new. So the date when I got the license first remains as 2014.

The good thing is that in Chiang Mai you don't need booking and you can process it on the same day. I originally thought of doing it in Bangkok, but online booking was fully booked until September. I also contacted some agents in Pattaya, I didn't mind paying if it can be done quickly. However, they told me they need to book it when I arrive in Thailand, then from that point it could be a few days, or weeks to wait. They also said if it's expired over 2 years, it's complete new license, starting from 2 years temporary license again. I contacted 2 agents in Pattaya they sell these supporting services and both said the same thing.

In the end, coming to chiang mai and doing it by myself was the fastest and also the best result.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chikuwa said:

I just got my 5 years license renewed in Chiang Mai. Car and motorbike, both expired more than 2 years. Here is my experience.

Condition:

Documents:

• Residence certificate (I paid an agent to do it through immigration, because I didn't have time. Embassy option was not possible due to the length I stayed here, too short to issue it).
  • Passport
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Medical certificate
  • expired license 

Procedure:

• Walk in to the Chiang Mai hang dong branch, arrived at 8.00. There was already a long que.
  • Entered the building at 8.15, queued again at the information on the second floor. However if you are sure with the document, probably you can skip this process.
  • Go to counter 27 without any numbers assigned, just directly give the document at the counter
  • 2 exams, one for car, one for motorbike. They register your fingerprint for verification.
  • Proceed to take pictures, and print the new license, good until 2028. It's renewed license, not new. So the date when I got the license first remains as 2014.

The good thing is that in Chiang Mai you don't need booking and you can process it on the same day. I originally thought of doing it in Bangkok, but online booking was fully booked until September. I also contacted some agents in Pattaya, I didn't mind paying if it can be done quickly. However, they told me they need to book it when I arrive in Thailand, then from that point it could be a few days, or weeks to wait. They also said if it's expired over 2 years, it's complete new license, starting from 2 years temporary license again. I contacted 2 agents in Pattaya they sell these supporting services and both said the same thing.

In the end, coming to chiang mai and doing it by myself was the fastest and also the best result.

Good deal!

And it's only fair.  The offices were closed for most of 2 years anyway.

Happy motoring! 

Hi I'm trying to book an appointment to renew my driving licence in Phetchabun, but the app on my wife's mobile doesn't seem to be working. Any links/ help greatly appreciated. I've got a Doctors certificate already. I'm on the site for the Driving licence renewal do I need to do both courses (Private licnece and persoanl licence (safe driving)
Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Went yesterday to Surin Immigration for a Residence Certficate, 500 Baht. In the evening I went to a local hospital for a medical certificate. Since I'm recorded there as a diabetic, I was requested to do an X-ray, was told lungs are excellent, 470 Baht. This morning I went to Rattanaburi (northern Surin province) LTD. Entered about 08:15, deposited all my documents, duly signed. Was called for a color and brake reaction test. At the latter the lady said: Woaw! I asked why "woaw? She said: so fast. Then looked at two videos totalling one hour, paid for the license 505 Baht, took a picture and picked up my new driver's licence minutes later at 10:00. Valid until 2028. Mind you, I'm 76½ years old. My wife asked if there is an age limit. The lady said: We look how fit an elderly applicant looks and decide who gets and who doesn't. 

Edited by Dario

On 8/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, chikuwa said:

I originally thought of doing it in Bangkok, but online booking was fully booked until September.

You don't need any online booking to go to Bangkok DLC. I was in and out within 1hr 30m doing just walk in earlier this month. It might have been faster still if they had a few more working at the card machines, they have 8 only one was worked.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can someone describe the set up for the color test in Pattaya now? I heard it decribed as similar to a traffic light, red on top, amber centre and green at the bottom, is this true?

At my place up country, a colour can appear in any of the three positions.....????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

After reading that you could go to your local police station to confirm your address I thought I'd chance my arm and call dlt in Sakon Nakhon.

Their English was limited but after about 20 minutes a young sounding female confirmed I needed a letter from my Embassy (No chance I'm flying to BKK for that) or a letter from the police in Sakon Nakhon city. After a few questions she of course meant Immigration not the police.

So this poor old guy has a round trip of 280km to look forward to unless does anyone know if agents can do this for you by post?

Edited by Tanlic

On 8/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, chikuwa said:

Condition:

Documents:

• Passport
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Medical certificate
  • expired license 

Procedure:

did anybody came across the requirements to renew for the 2nd time DL, brother lived in Krabi province, had original 2 years license there, renew 1st time for a 5 years and now wanted to renew again for another 5 year and was faced with a request to attend a 1 hour training at their place or over the internet, has anybody done that? attached is copy of their documentThai Drivers License Info.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back today from renewing my motorcycle licence........what a nightmare it could have been if not for pure luck.

First stop was to get a medical certificate ..cost 50 baht which was blank and had to fill my own name in and passport number Duh!!

My friend went to the same place to renew his licence and they didn't want a medical certificate but anyway they took mines.

Next step was go online AT HOME sit the test, took a screen shot of the pass and printed up a copy. 

Then it was to book an Appointmenent with DLT Sakon Nakhon and I got one for 9am to 11am screenshot and printed that up.

Printed up and signed visa and info page of passport signed every copy in blue ink.

Now it was just a simple case of getting up at 4.am to be at Thai Immigrartion for 8am.

Her indoors parents decided they would come for a day out. 

Now I had already sent a copy of my lease etc etc and was regisred with Thai immigration for my 90 day report

So they had confirmation of where I was staing as they sent us receipts for the TM30 and the TM 47 for my landlady who just happens to be my g/f mother..it's complicated.

We get there at 8.am and a Thai immigration policeman pulls up a few minutes later and asks what I want. Nice guy very polite takes my passoprt and by 9.30 am I have a letter confirming my address but not without an unexpected glitch.

The guy comes out and asks me for a copy of my land ladies house book. Considering I am registed there already I am left wondering why as I have never been asked for this before in BKK or Phitsanulok. 

So two things..By pure chance my Landlady has come with me and lo and behold she has her blue book with her or  I was goosed.

Then he asked me for a photo of myself and by chance I had 4 old ones in my wallet. Again the last time I got a letter was at Phisanulok and there was no photo requirement. Lady just looked me up on compater saw my 90 day reprt was in order and proted a letter up boss signed it done.

Anyway we get to Sawan Daeng Din DLT and we have everything.

One problem!! there are two DLT offices in Sakon Nakhon and we are at the wrong one we passed the other about 45 minutes beforehand.

However this very cute young lady gave me a smile and said don't worry I will put it through here for you.

Great go to the counter hand over everything and the guy checks everything is in order.

But alas!!!! he says I need a copy of your landladies ID and I am gobsmacked. She doesn't have it with her.

Why I don't know but he insists he must have it despite the fact Thai Immigration have given me a letter confirming my address with my photo attached and huge red stamp over it and signed by an officer,

However Father has his ID so I take that copy it he signs it and give it to the guy. He barely looks at it and takes it with the rest and tell us to come back in the afternoon for the test. She points out colours and you do that old brake test so very easy.

My curent licence runs out in October but my birthday was in September so I get my licence 6 years.

Very advabced by the way with holograms to stop faking them I suppose.

I don't know if this is nationwide now but fair warning to anyone who rents. get copies of your landladies ID and hpusebook plus take a few passport photos with you to immigration and to DLT or you could end up having to go through the whole thing again.

This seems to be a new ruling as there is no mention of this requirement on either BLT ot immigration websites

Edited by Tanlic

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to renew my 2 year driving licences with 5 year licences and get an international driving license at DLT Banglamung. Previos posts say that you have to book a slot in person i.e. make the trip twice, and booking online or by phone is not possible. Can I obtain the international driving license simultaneously? Do I need an agent in order to make only one trip to DLT Banglamung and not to need a 2nd original residence certificate for the international driving license (I already have one original)? If yes, any recommendations on an agent?

On 10/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, Klonko said:

I will have to renew my 2 year driving licences with 5 year licences and get an international driving license at DLT Banglamung. Previos posts say that you have to book a slot in person i.e. make the trip twice, and booking online or by phone is not possible. Can I obtain the international driving license simultaneously? Do I need an agent in order to make only one trip to DLT Banglamung and not to need a 2nd original residence certificate for the international driving license (I already have one original)? If yes, any recommendations on an agent?

When I got my 2 year motorcycle licence and renewed my 5 year car licence they asked for 2 separate letters confirming my address and would not accept a copy.

You book your appointment here https://gecc.dlt.go.th it has every office in Thailand in a drop down...once you do I suggest you take a screen shot (Windows key + prtsc key. open paint and paste) then print a copy. Also you will be asked to watch a 1 hour long video and asked a couple of questions like when do you start to signal (30mt) once you pass that again take a screen shot of the certificate that shows up and paste it into Paint....save both a JPG's. and take those with you. It's a piece of cake if you can get there before it opens you'll be in and out in an hour.

On 10/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

i read yesterday that you don't have to book in advance now for the DL

Well I definitely had to..don't get confused with Covid waiting time,you can book today for tomorrow now.

4 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

When I got my 2 year motorcycle licence and renewed my 5 year car licence they asked for 2 separate letters confirming my address and would not accept a copy.

You book your appointment here https://gecc.dlt.go.th it has every office in Thailand in a drop down...once you do I suggest you take a screen shot (Windows key + prtsc key. open paint and paste) then print a copy. Also you will be asked to watch a 1 hour long video and asked a couple of questions like when do you start to signal (30mt) once you pass that again take a screen shot of the certificate that shows up and paste it into Paint....save both a JPG's. and take those with you. It's a piece of cake if you can get there before it opens you'll be in and out in an hour.

Yes, no copies, except copies of yellow book, if you have one...

• Thanks 1