Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

On 10/6/2022 at 2:51 PM, Klonko said:

and get an international driving license at DLT Banglamung.

You cant get the IDP at Banglamung. You have to go to Chonburi city DLT - or other main DLT's but that is the closest to Pattaya.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New LTD regional documentation requirements for renewing driver's license?

I've renewed my DL for 20 years at the Nonthaburi LTD office near my home in Laksi, Bangkok. I live 1km from the Nonthaburi-Bangkok border. I have always used a yellow thabien ban and or pink card for proof of address.

This year, I waited in the queue for 5 months and went for my renewal today, Oct 25. They rejected me saying they cannot accept the thabien ban or pink card as  both were issued from Laksi, Bangkok. They recommended going to Chatuchak, or,  get a residence certificate from either an embassy or the Immigration Department. I got the same story from 2 officers.

Reading between the lines of some odd comments, I am not convinced I'll be accepted on return. It's also odd as a thabien ban or ID card is usually preferred.  

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be because of Covid, farang, warring fiefdoms?

I also cannot access the Chatuchak online system (to make a Q reservation if needed), Chatuchak is grayed out for me, but accessible to wife can using her Thai ID. What is up with that?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hank69 said:

can anyone recommend an agent to renew a 5yr car licence and idea on cost.thanks

From a Thai bureaucracy perspective, getting a Thai DL is one of the easier things to do...

1) Letter of Address

2) Passport Copy

3) Medical Cert

4) Home country licence (no need for IDP if in English)

Turn up in the morning..... do the indoor tests....  The only thing an agent does is guide you through a simple process and perhaps cut down some queueing time.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From a Thai bureaucracy perspective, getting a Thai DL is one of the easier things to do...

1) Letter of Address

2) Passport Copy

3) Medical Cert

4) Home country licence (no need for IDP if in English)

Turn up in the morning..... do the indoor tests....  The only thing an agent does is guide you through a simple process and perhaps cut down some queueing time.

thanks, at present im not in thailand and license finish soon, that why i would like agent to do for me. i have 1 yr renewable visa (retirement), valid till mid next yr. not sure how quick i make back to thailand

7 minutes ago, hank69 said:

thanks, at present im not in thailand and license finish soon, that why i would like agent to do for me. i have 1 yr renewable visa (retirement), valid till mid next yr. not sure how quick i make back to thailand

Unfortunately even using an agent you have to show up and do the 4 physical ability tests yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately even using an agent you have to show up and do the 4 physical ability tests yourself.

when license expire how long time i have to renew before i go back to beginning - 1yr license

2 minutes ago, hank69 said:

when license expire how long time i have to renew before i go back to beginning - 1yr license

You have a 12 month grace period to renew your licence.

i.e. if you have a 5 year licence you can get a new 5 year licence within 12 months of expiry. 

After 12 months you would have to go through the process again, which is the same as the conventional renewal anyway (i.e. need same documents and do the indoor tests)... but you’d only get a 2 year licence. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You have a 12 month grace period to renew your licence.

i.e. if you have a 5 year licence you can get a new 5 year licence within 12 months of expiry. 

After 12 months you would have to go through the process again, which is the same as the conventional renewal anyway (i.e. need same documents and do the indoor tests)... but you’d only get a 2 year licence. 

thankyou this is good news/info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

forgive me for not scrolling through the numerous replies but I’m looking to renew my expired Thai drivers license. I got it in 2018 but since 2019 stayed abroad and I have yet to return since the covid outbreak. I was on a temporary 2 years Thai license but it is now expired since 2020. 

I have a yellow book. What should I do now? Will it be a complicated process or can I just go to the transportation office and show up with my yellow book, medical certificate, passport and expired Thai license? Furthermore, would I need a visa in my passport if I have the yellow book to get the renewal?

thanks a lot

Happy New Year

THA118

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 8:29 PM, THA118 said:

Hi everyone,

forgive me for not scrolling through the numerous replies but I’m looking to renew my expired Thai drivers license. I got it in 2018 but since 2019 stayed abroad and I have yet to return since the covid outbreak. I was on a temporary 2 years Thai license but it is now expired since 2020. 

I have a yellow book. What should I do now? Will it be a complicated process or can I just go to the transportation office and show up with my yellow book, medical certificate, passport and expired Thai license? Furthermore, would I need a visa in my passport if I have the yellow book to get the renewal?

thanks a lot

Happy New Year

THA118

Hope you got sorted ok. I had to copy everything..My 90 day report my arrival card and of course my visa. What a strange question or is it me? 100% you need a valid visa in your passport????

Edited by Tanlic

I suspect this has been asked several times but I need to renew my 5year Thai motorcycle license, it will expire end April. So can I do it now? And what do I need? I suspect I will have to go to the same place as before, on outskirts of Pattaya, near international school.

6 hours ago, hackjam said:

I suspect this has been asked several times but I need to renew my 5year Thai motorcycle license, it will expire end April. So can I do it now? And what do I need? I suspect I will have to go to the same place as before, on outskirts of Pattaya, near international school.

i think 3 months before is ok so April should be ok, if not maybe using an agent can help. Go to Transport office near Regent school to get an appointment which will be a few weeks later

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hackjam said:

I just had to sit my car license test last month and this is one of the questions I saw on repeat while learning the answers off by heart. It’s 6 months before expiry, which is news to me because I always understood as @scubascuba3 says, they usually won’t entertain you until 3 months prior. I guess as always depends on the clerk or wether or not they have had lunch or not.

• Like 1

Just renewed this morning and got the 5 years for cars and bikes. They were fine with the Elite visa and the Yellow book for my residence. They added my ID card for their data.

I have to go to the main office in Chiang Rai for an IDP. I will also get a 5 year IDP independently.

About 800 baht all in including multiple copies of my documents. So ~400 baht for a single license.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I have 2 tabian baans, the first for my house in Bangkok and the other for my condo in Pattaya. My condo address is registered with the Jomtien Immigration Office. My house is in Nong Chok Bangkok. The transport office in my area is 5 minutes from my house and rarely busy. Can I do a license renewal there? It just gets to me holding a Thai license for 20 years and having to through the whole process again like a first time applicant. Cheers.

26 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Hi there, I have 2 tabian baans, the first for my house in Bangkok and the other for my condo in Pattaya. My condo address is registered with the Jomtien Immigration Office. My house is in Nong Chok Bangkok. The transport office in my area is 5 minutes from my house and rarely busy. Can I do a license renewal there? It just gets to me holding a Thai license for 20 years and having to through the whole process again like a first time applicant. Cheers.

Sorry for the repeat as I forgot to click Follow Topic. Cheers.

It shouldn't matter (but might, depending upon the attitude of the staff at that particular DLT office). For example, my yellow tabien baan and TM30 filing are registered in Bangkok but I do my 5 yr driver licence renewal in Petchaburi rather than Mo Chit or Bangchak as the staff in Petchaburi DLT office are quick and cheerful, and accept by Bangkok address without question.

In your case it's unclear whether either of your tabien baans' are yellow or both blue. If they're both blue then you will need a residence letter from the immigration office where you file your 90 day reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm in Pattaya and I use an agent for my one year visa. The service is great and eliminates all the hassles when visiting the Jomtien Immigration office. That said do agents in Pattaya run the same service for drivers license renewals, if so what would the cost be? Cheers.

1 minute ago, Mason45 said:

Hi there, I'm in Pattaya and I use an agent for my one year visa. The service is great and eliminates all the hassles when visiting the Jomtien Immigration office. That said do agents in Pattaya run the same service for drivers license renewals, if so what would the cost be? Cheers.

Can an agent test your eyes, your reactions or if you are colour blind.....?

19 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

About 5k, holds your hand for you, but you still need to do the tests

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:58 AM, Quickmill said:

Does anybody know if the validity of the residence certificate letter released by the embassy on November 2022 is considered until the end of the 2022 or it will be for 365 days?

Thanks.

Did you find out how long they are valid for? I was told today it's only 1 month, but that doesn't sound right. (I think they were confusing it with the medical certificate.)

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions but haven't found anything on the previous pages, so any fresh feedback here is appreciated.

My 2-year Thai car drivers license is up for renewal at the end of October 2023 which I would like to extend to a 5 year license. I know about the online video which I have to do, I think I can book a queue slot online right, but on the DLT website it mentions as requirements:

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

I have a digital work permit as part of my BOI company. Is it sufficient if I print a screenshot of the digital work permit? There's also a QR code on the backside of the digital work permit that takes me to a website with additional information. I guess I print both just to be safe.

What about these reaction tests like braking tests, depth perception test etc? It's not specifically mentioned as a requirement on the DLT website for a renewal but I guess I still have to do this? 

And can I choose the DLT location? I live in Ekkamai so Bang Chak would be most convenient for me? When I got my license two years ago I went to the Chatuchak office.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, Sambora said:

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions but haven't found anything on the previous pages, so any fresh feedback here is appreciated.

My 2-year Thai car drivers license is up for renewal at the end of October 2023 which I would like to extend to a 5 year license. I know about the online video which I have to do, I think I can book a queue slot online right, but on the DLT website it mentions as requirements:

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

I have a digital work permit as part of my BOI company. Is it sufficient if I print a screenshot of the digital work permit? There's also a QR code on the backside of the digital work permit that takes me to a website with additional information. I guess I print both just to be safe.

What about these reaction tests like braking tests, depth perception test etc? It's not specifically mentioned as a requirement on the DLT website for a renewal but I guess I still have to do this? 

And can I choose the DLT location? I live in Ekkamai so Bang Chak would be most convenient for me? When I got my license two years ago I went to the Chatuchak office.

Seems you already have everything you need...  just rock up at DLT Area 3 (nr Sukhumvit 99)... they may either take you in there and then or ask you to make an appointment, come back the next day etc...  

As far as the ‘in-class tests’.... Yes... you will have to do those (the colour blindness, proximity, reaction tests etc)...

On 5/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, Polar Bear said:
On 11/16/2022 at 11:58 AM, Quickmill said:

Does anybody know if the validity of the residence certificate letter released by the embassy on November 2022 is considered until the end of the 2022 or it will be for 365 days?

Thanks.

Did you find out how long they are valid for? I was told today it's only 1 month, but that doesn't sound right. (I think they were confusing it with the medical certificate.)

Depends on the ‘body’ in receipt of said document.... I’ve heard 12 months, 3 months and 1 months... all from different officers at the DLT....    

.... thus, as with much of Thailand, your mileage simply varies and an element of luck comes into it when things swing your way. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I need to renew my 5-year driving license in August and wonder if I can do so with a certificate of residence from another province, not from the province where I want to renew my license. Has anybody done this before or know if it's possible? Thank you so much in advance.