TAT predicts 18 million foreign tourists in 2022, spending 1 trillion baht

webfact

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand,

Roadside Moo Ping is 5bht a stick.

Four of those and 5bht of sticky rice and I'm stuffed full!

Back to the OP, I predict less than 5M, assuming the 1 night quarantine, test on arrival, Thailand pass, and compulsory insurance are dropped.

even in Central Chidlom, a stick of moo ping is 15 baht and there is no fat, just lean meat

What are they smoking in TAT??  Oh, that's right, they legalized Kratom, so that must be a mandatory smoke for all the TAT executives to make these absurd predictions................I'm getting more popcorn, this nis getting good, best laugh I have had all day, and I Ian't smoking anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It seems to me that the terms foreign arrival and foreign tourist are frequently confounded by Thai officials.  It would not be difficult to at least make an attempt at differentiating the two.

For 2022 the best case is 18 million foreign tourists spending 1,050,000 million baht (assuming he uses American and not British definitions of billion and trillion), so just over 58,000 baht each.  The worst case is 10 million foreign tourists spending an average of 62,000 baht each.  The average spending numbers are not that different yet but therein lies the dilemna, seek to attract more people who on average spend less or fewer high spenders?  If the latter the forecast tourist numbers will languish but spending will increase.  The choice will clearly have significant impact on public and private investment decisions, of both infrastructure, attractions, and education/training (language skills), employment, and GDP.  There does nto seem to be a coherent policy nor even a comparative analysis of the alternatives.

Any volunteers?  Could eitehr earn you residency or the boot.  

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and the estimations are very low. According to recent research to can travel on one seat. That would be an estimated tourism of 36 million.

Many years ago, my wife worked in Bangkok for an (un-named) airline GSA.  Her boss was at the airport to supervise check in and boarding.   It was found that there was one more passenger than seats.  She told him "sit in the lavatory and come out after take-off.  The cabin staff will find you a seat."

• Haha 2

They probably arrived at that figure by taking the total tourist numbers for 2019 and then subtracting the number who visited Pattaya, as that seems to be the current masterplan, open the country, but leave Pattaya to the homeless and the pigeons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, I do not believe it but hey lets run with it. 100k this month, 300k next month and 300k Jan to March, that leaves 16,7 million tourists in the last 9 months of the year , or 1.85 million a month.

Quite how he believe this figure - which will grow more every month with lack of arrivals - is mindboggling !

yes, 500 seats NOT occupied ones

The TAT number lottery is funny. From April 2022, the numbers will work like a high-rise express lift. Especially when the months of April and May were traditionally always low.

From June to September the second wave of tourism traditionally comes when schools and universities in Europe close for the summer festivities and many take their annual vacation. Thailand then competes with the Mediterranean countries, which (currently) can be traveled with almost no time-consuming and expensive paperwork. And the low budget solo travelers, students, bagpackers, party people then also have 1, 2, 3 months time, but Thailand doesn't want them anymore. They will go again, like this year, to Mallorca, Ibiza, Bulgaria, Lloret de Mar, Portugal, Mykonos, Croatia, Balaton, Malta, Ischgl, Bodrum, etc. 

In October and November the traditional low season comes again with a lot of rain in Thailand. In December at the latest, when it gets cold at the northern hemisphere, the independent "snowbirds" come, who like to stay for several months and around Christmas and New Years also the young short-trip party people.

Nobody knows if and when China will let go of its hordes in 2022. Against this background, I think the 18 million is very excessive.

Edited by tomacht8

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A day after a senior Chonburi tourism official slammed the government's opening of the country as smoke and mirrors and window dressing rhetoric the Tourism Authority of Thailand chief has hit back with his own brand of unbridled optimism.

You mean BS

• Like 1