How long can i stay in Thailand?

4 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Non O based on retirement is 800k in bank or 65,000 THB pension income internationally transferred to a TH bank account every month.

The monthly transfers of 65k baht is only required if your embassy will not issue the proof of income. For a non-o visa application at immigration only proof of income from a embassy will be accepted. The transfers will only be accepted for a extension of stay application

51 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you have a visa the airline will not ask for onward ticket.

Did happen to me once flying to Vietnam as my visa only had 5 days left.

With your tourist visa you won't be asked for onward flight.

To obtain the TV your application may require onward flight. That's up to consulate that your dealing with. If asked for they would/may accept 90 day from arrival date. You would need check with consulate.

Thanks. But in USA I thought the evisa for 60 days was available on line through one website?  In the past I dealt with honorary consulate Boston and Consulate NYC. New York City seems to go to same site. I am looking to travel  in Jan but I don't see myself dealing with a specific office this time. Am I wrong? Thanks. 

Edited by alex8912

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Thanks. But in USA I thought the evisa for 60 days was available on line through one website?  In the past I dealt with honorary consulate Boston and Consulate NYC. New York City seems to go to same site. I am looking to travel  in Jan but I don't see myself dealing with a specific office this time. Am I wrong? Thanks. 

You will do the application on the e visa website but it will processed at at the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates (New York, Chicago or Los Angles) designated for where you are living. If living in the North East it will be New York. Map is here. https://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Royal-Thai-Embassy-Washington-D.C..png

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

At tourist visa allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days that allows a total stay of 90 days.

if i have a 60 day tourist visa and its about up, finished. could i at end of my 60 days apply for the covid extension for the extra 60days or would immigration only give me the 30 days extra

5 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

if i have a 60 day tourist visa and its about up, finished. could i at end of my 60 days apply for the covid extension for the extra 60days or would immigration only give me the 30 days extra

Most immigration offices will require you do the 30 day extension before applying for the 60 day covid 19 extension.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

Don't wait till the end of your 60 day permit, you can obtain extension week or more early.

Your extension will start at expiry date of current permit. 

Also no need to rush for the covid extension as they will make you obtain the 30 day "standard extension" first.

9 hours ago, tonray said:

By extensions you mean queue up at immigration and pay 1900 baht ? If so, this seems no better than a retirement extension.

Correct, however if you're under 50 years of age and not married to a local and don't want to take a job with visa/work permit then this is the only way to stay uninterrupted for extended periods of time.

The extension process takes 5 minutes and involves a single form, no bank statement nonsense either.

I recently applied for and was issued with a Special Tourist Visa (STV).

There was lots of photographing (or scanning) and uploading involved plus some printing but other than that the process was straight forward, although interpreting some of the requirements did prove challenging, and the type(?) of files accepted and their size can be an issue.

I'd say the only real obstacle to not getting the visa is not having the required £5000 in your bank account (you will need to provide a bank statement).

As someone unable to go down the retirement or marriage route I'm very happy with the potential 9 month stay it grants me (90 days on arrival, plus two 90 day extensions at B1900 a time). It may be a good option for you also, however if you're looking to stay longer than 9 months there may be better options out there, as it's uncertain at this time what further permissions of stay will be granted when holding this type of visa. 

The cost of the visa was £60, issued by the Thai embassy in London (other embassies may have different requirements). You apply online at: https://thaievisa.go.th/ (The STV is found under 'Purpose of Visit': ‘Duration of stay no longer than 90 days’.)

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What did you do for proof of accommodation booking.

Seems a point asked about often.

I booked 90 days in a hotel on Agoda, which is refundable up to a few days before check-in.   

From what I read online, the booking needs to be for a minimum of 90 days, when applying to London at least.

I also provided proof of my initial one night ASQ hotel using the above method.

22 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Or take the risk and presume covid extensions will still be available that way you get 30+60 instead of 60+30 (although I guess you could end up with 60+60? )

Nope. You will need a flight out at 30 days. Changing the ticket costs much more than the TR or STV.

I would look at an O-A if the cash is there. One year extendable.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, asiam110 said:

Or take the risk and presume covid extensions will still be available that way you get 30+60 instead of 60+30 (although I guess you could end up with 60+60? )

No you have to apply for the 60 day visa from your own country, can't do it from Thailand. Therefore must arrive with 60 day visa.

On 11/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, DrJack54 said:

Here is one suggestion.

Enter tourist visa and obtain extension. That's 60+30.

Next apply for a non O based on retirement. The pain is that on day you apply you need 800k baht in Thai bank in your name only.

The nice thing is you can withdraw it after you obtain the non O.

That visa gives you 90 day stay.

All up 6 months.

Some will suggest obtain  STV however messy.

How do you transfer such money 800k in Thailand ? Please explain. 

16 minutes ago, darkobeli said:

How do you transfer such money 800k in Thailand ? Please explain. 

Obviously you need Thai bank account. 

The various options are covered in many threads and compared.

A very popular option is Transferwise rebranded to WISE.

Personally I use that however also I use Forex.

For large sums you may need break it down to smaller amount. 

800k baht can be done in one hit.

When I purchased a townhouse for 4mil baht+I did it in 3or 4 separate transfers. Can't recall.

You can obtain detailed advice in finance forum.

• Thanks 1