Thailand New 10 year Visa

I am very interested in the new visa.  Does anyone know when we can expect to start applying for the new 10 year visa?

I am ok with the investment requirement but a little concerned by the proof of income above 40,000 USD yearly.

If anyone has more info about the new 10 year visa, please share.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

There's also that 10 year OX visa sounds similar......... 

Thats correct and good reason why it's not common. Requirements not popular? 

Would like to hear from someone with a non OX. Share their experience. 

Never even met anyone with a non OX.

Edited by DrJack54

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thats correct and good reason why it's not common.

Would like to hear from someone with a non OX. Share their experience. 

I know a Swede has an OX, he just arrived again recently, was stamped in for 2.5 years due to PP validity. I believe with a PP not expiring any time soon your stamp will be 5 years. ( renewable at the end of 5 ) 3 million baht must not drop in bank first year, allowed to drop to 1.5 million after and only allowed to be spent in Thailand.  Do the yearly extensions and 90 day reports. Need Health insurance.  He's not super clear on it all yet............

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies, everyone.   This visa got to be better than non OX or any other type of Thai long term vises.  Thailand is desperate for the cash of these "rich" foreigners bring.   They got to offer something more enticing.

32 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I do not like to be ripped off , but if you are willing to pay for the insurance , you can get the O-X , ( 2x5 yrs ) , ' upgraded ' from your O type visa or even tourist visa from a local Immigration office within Thailand .

I am not sure that is possible. I have never heard of immigration doing one and people have asked about it and immigration told them no since they had not clue what it was.

No hard to find out what insurance companies can do it for a OX visa. See: https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesox

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure that is possible. I have never heard of immigration doing one and people have asked about it and immigration told them no since they had not clue what it was.

No hard to find out what insurance companies can do it for a OX visa. See: https://longstay.tgia.org/companiesox

Yes , it is . At least in Phang Nga office .

I had it confirmed somewhere ( not remember now ... ) , but they do it from within Thailand if an original ' O ' type visa , or even a tourist visa , or an extension of it , already exists and is still valid .

( We had this discussion last year already , when I was told by the IO that I can upgrade from within Thailand )

20 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Yes , it is . At least in Phang Nga office .

I had it confirmed somewhere ( not remember now ... ) , but they do it from within Thailand if an original ' O ' type visa , or even a tourist visa , or an extension of it , already exists and is still valid .

( We had this discussion last year already , when I was told by the IO that I can upgrade from within Thailand )

I tried 2 years ago to get an O-X inside Thailand, and was told by CW that it was not possible, to do inside Thailand but maybe they have changed

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

We had this discussion last year already , when I was told by the IO that I can upgrade from within Thailand )

I recall that thread and discussion.

Until  someone actually has a non OX obtained inside Thailand I won't believe it. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I've read you can obtain an OX inside Thailand as well, upgrading from a Non O type or even a tourist visa. Seems odd if immigration does not offer it inside Thailand when the 3 million plus needs to be tucked away here....... 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 10:48 AM, CANSIAM said:

I believe with a PP not expiring any time soon your stamp will be 5 years. ( renewable at the end of 5 ) 3 million baht must not drop in bank first year, allowed to drop to 1.5 million after and only allowed to be spent in Thailand.  Do the yearly extensions and 90 day reports.

Why do you need to do yearly extensions if you're stamped in for 5 years??

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, asiam110 said:

Yes they've done this with every iteration of the smart visa, sounds promising to start but by the time it's released the requirements are illogical and ridiculous, thus they get no applicants - the girls in the smart visa section of BOI are candy crush elite now though thanks to a surprising lack of customers for 5 years +

I am unable to eliminate the suspicion that it is a red herring/cover for a wider campaign of making it harder to stay here - as in: "Why of course we welcome long stay foreigners, we just introduced a 10 year (10 YEAR!) visa so that foreigners can stay long term in Thailand, so these allegations that we are tightening the screws to push long stay foreigners out are baseless as you see".

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why do you need to do yearly extensions if you're stamped in for 5 years??

I don't know if thats a fact, possibly bank account checks ? neither does the fella I know who just arrived with an OX, he said even immigration scratch their heads when they see the rare OX..........

Here you have it black on white from the Royal Thai embassy in Washington :

https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

"

Other Useful Information

– Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

– Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

– Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

Btw ... Still need to show up at immigration every year , but mainly to prove that you still have the funds required and valid health insurance . So , less paperwork than with O-A .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

"

Other Useful Information

– Benefits of the Non-O-X visa holders

1) Can work as a volunteer (in accordance with the list of volunteer work as stipulated by the Department of Employment).

2) Can purchase vehicle (under the provision of laws on motor vehicles).

3) Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

– Foreigners who enter Thailand with other type of Visa/Visa Exemption may contact the Immigration Bureau and apply for Non-O-X visa.

– Foreigners who enter Thailand with Non-O-X visa may change from Non-O-X to other type of Visa by submitting request to the Immigration Bureau. Spouse and child’s visa approval will be changed according to status of the main applicant. However, spouse can apply for Non-O-X by himself/ herself if he/she meets the qualifications.

Btw ... Still need to show up at immigration every year , but mainly to prove that you still have the funds required and valid health insurance . So , less paperwork than with O-A .

I'm considering it, but not quite sure yet, presently on an OA unfortunately........ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CANSIAM said:

I'm considering it, but not quite sure yet, presently on an OA unfortunately........ 

Yes , it is quite good , less yearly paperwork , more long-term security ... but insurance is a rip-off ( words of the IO at Phang Nga immigration ) .

I did not take it , because there are rumors that next year there will be some new Visas for foreigners who want to stay 10 yrs or longer and will be investing 10 mio or so ...

I just wait and see ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Don't forget , 3 mio baht have to be in a special fund ( Contact Immigration about this . ) , 1 year already before applying for the O-X .

15 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

You have to remember a embassy is under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and immigration is not under the MFA.

Anything written about immigration on their website will mean immigration can or will do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Don't forget , 3 mio baht have to be in a special fund ( Contact Immigration about this . ) , 1 year already before applying for the O-X .

Have not read that anywhere regarding the 3M  1 year prior to applying.....

1 minute ago, CANSIAM said:

Have not read that anywhere regarding the 3M  1 year prior to applying.....

They were very clear about it .

It has to be in the account for 1 year prior to the application . If you really interested in it , just phone your immigration office and ask ...

2 minutes ago, howerde said:

IT seems to vary Siam Legal shows money needs to be in bank for 1 year before applying  https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/5-year-thai-retirement-visa.php

I did mine in London, the money had only been in for 3 months,

Yes , I remember this ... forgot it later ...

They even say : " The visa is renewable every 5 years and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply). "

I thought it is renewable just once after the first 5 yrs have passed ... but , may be it's kind of a typo ... ?

2 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Yes , I remember this ... forgot it later ...

They even say : " The visa is renewable every 5 years and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply). "

I thought it is renewable just once after the first 5 yrs have passed ... but , may be it's kind of a typo ... ?

Yes it is a 10 year visa, renewed once after 5 years. then i presume you need to sort something else out, as this visa only started in 2016, none will have held it 10 years yet

• Like 1

Interesting, just received email from Thai Embassy in Canada saying you CANNOT apply for the 10 year OX visa inside Thailand. They never answered my question as to how long the 3 million needs to be in a Thai bank prior to applying just that the 3m must not drop in the first year and can drop no less than 1.5m thereafter. Siam Legal apparently says you can apply here, best to stay clear of them anyhow......

Edited by CANSIAM