What are these parasites on cat's ears ?

FlorC

I've looked around on the internet for cat lice , cat ear mites and cat ticks , but not many clear pictures. These are very small and are on the outside , fury part of the ear , mostly on the edges.

Ear mites look a bit like these , but stay in the ear canal.

Lice look different and are all over . These are no fleas , those are easy to see,

That leaves ticks ? But ticks are much larger and get bigger sucking blood.

So what are these ? Some typical thai parasite .

Hard to photograph them because they are so small.

I rub them off with rubbing alcohol , but keep coming back.

Zoetis Revolution doesn't keep them at bay for long.

DSCF1611.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Looks like Ear Mites. Same problems I had with my cats.

Ivermectin injectable. Try to keep clean the ears with ear cleanses.

76B41410-8595-4BE4-9017-E8127D54D1F3.jpeg

E34AF754-9DB6-4622-AA70-18E8476E417A.jpeg

D8141361-C103-43F3-9DE6-EF210141FCAF.jpeg

059E5607-AEDD-4C5D-B6A5-59B577BA5CE1.jpeg

No they are not ear mites,ivermectin will kill the ticks.

The vets over here all have it,you can give it as an injection or as a pill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No lumbs on their body but they are so small, you can't feel them.

They only scratch their ears no obsessive licking of paws or other parts.

I keep their ears clean. Ear mites stay IN the ears and look different and even smaller .

Ivermectin is a covid cure ... and for internal parasites , not external

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

What if the cats lick the powder off ?

Bad enough I have to give that expensive toxic <deleted> in the neck once a month.

Mine come with little presents like this too .

Just hoping that they don't get rabies from it.

DSCF1586.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FlorC said:

These are very small and are on the outside , fury part of the ear , mostly on the edges.

Ear mites look a bit like these , but stay in the ear canal.

They're mites of some kind.

Just had one of my rabbits with them, edges of the ear, then later toes, heels and tail.

The vet tried the expensive back of the neck drops, cured the ears but the toes/heels got worse.

Almost fixed now with 3 monthly injections of Ivermectin (3x 100bht).

The vet preferred to use the drops at 300bht a time, but they just didn't work.

Good to know that I must keep an eye on toes, heels and tail , but how ? They are so small . On the ears with very short fur they can barely be seen , toes, heels and tail are much furier and rubbing with alcohol will not work there .

Just now, FlorC said:

Good to know that I must keep an eye on toes, heels and tail , but how ? They are so small . On the ears with very short fur they can barely be seen , toes, heels and tail are much furier and rubbing with alcohol will not work there .

You'll know as the affected parts lose ALL their fur.

Just to much talk again. 100 chef make a bad soup. It´s ticks, and both our cat and dog gets them on a regular basis. Just to buy shots or liquid and they die and are gone for a while. Let´s say you keep buying and giving every 2-3 month and your cat will be almost free from them.

4 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Just to much talk again. 100 chef make a bad soup. It´s ticks, and both our cat and dog gets them on a regular basis. Just to buy shots or liquid and they die and are gone for a while. Let´s say you keep buying and giving every 2-3 month and your cat will be almost free from them.

Not if they get them from their prey or in the bushes , where they go walk every day.

Maybe less ticks in the dry season ?

Ticks. definitely. They grow larger once they start sucking blood if they are able to stay on the cat for very long.

Frontline Plus application once a month (liquid you dab onto the back of the neck) should prevent this asnd also prevent fleas. You can buy it on Lazada

• Like 1

I can't buy from lazada and my vet only has revolution , and now revolution plus .

The selamectin in it is one of the least harmful for the cats , revolution plus has an extra ingredient that I don't like. She has a 3 month one too which has been discussed here on the forum , I forget the name , but that is some nasty toxic stuff , I won't give them.

Only bayer's Advantage I can buy from another , but that is nasty stuff too , it smells bad and does so for a day .

It is very hard to give the in neck type of liquids . Some of my cats have such thick fur , it is hard to get to the skin. And keep them from scratching it and then lick their paw , or just licking it directly when I did it too far from the middle.

57 minutes ago, FlorC said:

What if the cats lick the powder off ?

Bad enough I have to give that expensive toxic <deleted> in the neck once a month.

Mine come with little presents like this too .

Just hoping that they don't get rabies from it.

DSCF1586.jpg

Will not lick off   will become ingrained in skin after a while,leave on floor as it will get into paws also,good stuff  used it for years   ivermectin injections also   but did not get rid of fleas

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

Not if they get them from their prey or in the bushes , where they go walk every day.

Maybe less ticks in the dry season ?

Yes, It works as repellant as well. If you wish more protection you can buy 3 or 6 month necklace that keeps them away. They cost about 400 to 1000 baht each.

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

I can't buy from lazada and my vet only has revolution , and now revolution plus .

The selamectin in it is one of the least harmful for the cats , revolution plus has an extra ingredient that I don't like. She has a 3 month one too which has been discussed here on the forum , I forget the name , but that is some nasty toxic stuff , I won't give them.

Only bayer's Advantage I can buy from another , but that is nasty stuff too , it smells bad and does so for a day .

It is very hard to give the in neck type of liquids . Some of my cats have such thick fur , it is hard to get to the skin. And keep them from scratching it and then lick their paw , or just licking it directly when I did it too far from the middle.

Hard to inagine why you can't buy from Lazada?   It can also be ordeted from Shoppee, TailyBuddy and other sites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlorC said:

No lumbs on their body but they are so small, you can't feel them.

They only scratch their ears no obsessive licking of paws or other parts.

I keep their ears clean. Ear mites stay IN the ears and look different and even smaller .

Ivermectin is a covid cure ... and for internal parasites , not external

We have used Ivermectin for over 15 years against ticks,it is the number one drug used for this in Thailand.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1476370/

16 hours ago, jvs said:

They are ticks.The small ones but still ticks.

In the OP's pics, I can see the insects have 6 legs. My understanding is that ticks have 8, not being I sects, but being arachnids. Spiders in other words. I know it doesn't tell you what they are, but I suggest they are not ticks.

10 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

In the OP's pics, I can see the insects have 6 legs. My understanding is that ticks have 8, not being I sects, but being arachnids. Spiders in other words. I know it doesn't tell you what they are, but I suggest they are not ticks.

You are correct, these guys only have 6 legs. However they are larval ticks, and in this first stage they have 6 legs. They become 8 legged after they engorge and then moult. The adults are 8 legged.

Incidentally, the OP refers to his cat as half mountain lion (lol) and refers to 'him'.  As a tricolour cat, it is a certainty that this cat is female. Cat coat colour is controlled by a gene on the X chromosome, and only females can have the genes for red (ginger) and black at the same time. Females being XX and males XY. The white is simply a lack of pigment. 

• Like 1