First OA Extension @ CW Today

Long day.... arrived at 9:50am, in queue until 14:00. Handed over my stack of papers and copies ( a new passport as well ). Pleasant IO, carefully looked through my bank letter and statement ( 800k method ). Carefully looked through my Health Insurance and validity date ( June 23, 2022 ). No questions asked as she saw the over  3,000,000 baht annual coverage sum. My 90 day report was due December 7 so I asked her about it, said can do now. I had a prepared TM47 ready with my new passport number filled out and signed and got a new 90 day notification slip. Yes my permission to stay stamp was to health insurance expiry ( June 23 ) not the full year which is fine as I'm leaving in March and killing off this OA. Also some overstay warning papers to fill out and sign. To any Canadians out there and I'm sure other Nationalities on OA extensions, another Canadian was there doing his OA extension, he uses his monthly income and gets an affidavit issued from the Canada Embassy in BKK that is accepted at CW, he does not have or show the 800k here. He said you can get the Embassy affidavit stating your home country bank has the 800k equivalent baht thus CW does not ask for the 800k in a bank here. Interesting, check with your Embassy !! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Any idea what your insurance premium would be if it was full 12 months.

I'm 5 or so months into my 1 year Thai health insurance policy already, to re-align the health insurance to get a 1 year extension of stay it would cost me about 35 - 37,000 baht, not necessary as I have to leave in March anyway and return with something other than a OA...

Edited by CANSIAM

22 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I'm 5 or so months into my 1 year Thai health insurance policy already, to re-align the health insurance to get a 1 year extension of stay it would cost me about 35 - 37,000 baht, not necessary as I have to leave in March anyway and return with something other than a OA...

Ouch.

Wonder if premium is  seriously expensive for say 75 yr old. (not me).

Perhaps Non O-A becomes a museum object. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am an OA extension since many years....since 2 years I had the 400000 / 40000 Bahts Insurance

My next extension is NOW on the end of May..this year they have decide to give me 9 months instead of 12 due to the date of insurance )

What changes ? is that 400000 bahts insurance still valid ?

or do I need to update my insurance ?

last November on 90 days report....the Immigrations IO doens't have tell me anything !!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

My next extension is NOW on the end of May..this year they have decide to give me 9 months instead of 12 due to the date of insurance )

What changes ? is that 400000 bahts insurance still valid ?

or do I need to update my insurance ?

When you apply for the extension you have to have 12 months of insurance. The only did your extension to the date your insurance expires.

There have been no changes. You will need 12 months of insurance when you apply for your next extension.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you apply for the extension you have to have 12 months of insurance. The only did your extension to the date your insurance expires.

There have been no changes. You will need 12 months of insurance when you apply for your next extension.

My question was is there a change about the 400000/ 40000 ?

On 12/14/2021 at 4:09 PM, Mamasun said:

My question was is there a change about the 400000/ 40000 ?

The increase to 3 million kicks in next September for O-A extensions. For your May 2022 extension insurance is still 400000 / 40000, but when you extend in May 2023 it will be the higher amount. 

OP, would you mind describing the police clearance document you got from Canadian law enforcement? I'm American, but I have a specific question about these for the O-A. I'm probably not going to go the O-A route, but in case I need it as a backup option I really want to know about this. (Please see the new thread I just posted in this forum for more details about what I'm trying to have clarified.) Thanks

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

OP, would you mind describing the police clearance document you got from Canadian law enforcement? I'm American, but I have a specific question about these for the O-A. I'm probably not going to go the O-A route, but in case I need it as a backup option I really want to know about this. (Please see the new thread I just posted in this forum for more details about what I'm trying to have clarified.) Thanks

The police clearance check is required for OA visa application for Thai Embassies abroad.  I just obtained it at a local RCMP detachment, simple process fill out an address and DL number, sign some papers. I'm not sure about the USA process, You said some misdemeaners are expunged, can you get a Pardon Document letter from US government ? this would seal or 'hide' any convictions from the past. Your Police clearance is left with the Thai Embassy where you applied along with your other application papers. If an FBI or DOJ document is showing some convictions from long ago, its possible the Embassy could decline the OA application unless somehow get the law enforcement clearance letter stating 'expunged'. Thai immigration does not request to see anything on arrival, when the OA visa sticker is in your passport the clearance check has been accepted. There are several other options rather than the OA, I'm leaving in a couple months without a re entry permit to kill my OA off......

Edited by CANSIAM

CANSIAM, thanks for your reply. I have never heard of any "Pardon Document," I wonder if this is a Canadian thing. My understanding is that all I can get from FBI or my state's DOJ (which are highly linked agencies of course) is a printout of my raw criminal record data. I've done this already to test this, and it shows... well here, I'm just going to post redacted images of what I'm talking about. This is what they sent me. Definitely not a "verification letter" of any kind, it's raw DOJ data.

Criminal-background-check-2021-letter-from-CA DOJ-redacted.png

Criminal-background-check-2021-redacted.png

In case anyone might be imagining I was a thug running around with a gun, I wasn't. I was working as a private investigator during a time in L.A. when there was a rash of violent carjackings going on, many resulting in murdered drivers. I had resorted to carrying in my car (without a permit, yes) as protection.

Edited by PadPrikKhing

Yeah a straight printout, looks like you won't be able to get any explanations added. Yeah its Canadian thing 'Pardon Document', I have one so when a clearance check is done anywhere its 'hidden-does not show' my DUI does not show up from many moons ago, just send it with your OA application to Embassy and see what they say, if 'no' grab a tourist visa or 90 day Non O or visa exempt..........good luck....

Edited by CANSIAM