Thailand set to ease entry requirements

webfact

While you're at it why don't you change this stupid Thailand Pass? I checked today on a trip I have all booked for 17 days to the states.

Now I will have to change my flight at great expense and add hotel rooms and rent a cars in LA, also expensive.

All for what? So this stupid government can make it look like they're doing something.

My last trip cost me a small fortune because they couldn't get my COE approved in time.

Meanwhile, the country is open, but with all the BS this government is causing, nobody wants to come here.

"Come to Thailand, you can't drink or party, but come here anyway because we need your money". Great ad slogan, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well that's a personal choice, but I've always taken travel insurance even when I was young and healthier! My current one is nearly free from my bank despite me having had life-threatening health events in the past.. 

Not wishing to criticise your life choices in any way, but my insurance has paid for itself twice in trips to Thailand.

What's the expression?  Up to yoooooo ????

And that is your "life choice" so what's your point. I have never needed it despite travelling the World and have enough cash to pay for whatever occurs. Why should I be forced insurance against my Will?

Edit: by the way, 56 years old travelled the world. Lived 15 years as an expat. Premiums $0, medical claims $0. How about you?

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

And that is your "life choice" so what's your point. I have never needed it despite travelling the World and have enough cash to pay for whatever occurs. Why should I be forced insurance against my Will?

Edit: by the way, 56 years old travelled the world. Lived 15 years as an expat. Premiums $0, medical claims $0. How about you?

Steady on.....I'm not criticising, merely observing. In my case, 66 years old, like you travelled the world, (lived in various places for work) have twice needed to claim on insurance (for issues that I could easily have afforded to pay for from my own pocket)  and now have a history which includes heart issues.  That could prove very expensive!!! 

So far, premiums have been a couple of hundred pounds, medical claims similar (not going to look them up) BUT......peace of mind PRICELESS.

However, my original response was to comment that it's not the insurance aspect of all this that bothers me; clearly you don't share that school of thought.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

And here's the nail in Thailands coffin....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

If the previous virus was anything to go by, based on the article it will probably take a year to developed a vaccine, 6 months for it to be approved another year to produce and distribute...

2024 may be a reasonable time scale for normality! 

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

However, my original response was to comment that it's not the insurance aspect of all this that bothers me; clearly you don't share that school of thought.

Fair enough.

My only point from this is that countries shouldn't be able to decide whether insurance is made mandatory. If I didn't have a condo there I wouldn't care, I'd never go back with such a mandate. No-one likes being forced into something they don't need....scam alarm ????

• Like 1

Go ahead and relax entry requirements.  With the new strain out and all governments earth wide recommending against unnecessary travel we are seeing flights from south africa and other countries being banned - again.  It could easily be Thailand and you will be stuck.

Seriously, it is not the time for any kind of tourism.  There is no care free holiday, only hassles, fears, and worries.  We need more time.

If you travel right now I get why, but it's not a family going to Thailand for a holiday.  It's something entirely different.  And you may just not get back to your home country and the sole person responsible is you, sadly.  

Wasn't this discussed last week?  and the result was No but hell No!  This week they are thinking of going that route again what change!

Although it isn't full proof the reality within the country if you want to travel even unvaccinated you go to a clinic pay 590 baht and if result are negative in 15 minutes off you go this has been going on now for a number of months. My Granddaughter 3, two weeks ago they told us go the the pharmacy get a ATK kit 100 baht next day took her to the school the people who were providing the test weren't specially qualified just teachers.

Now with tourist fully vaccinated, insurance, 72 negative test prior to arrival they want you to take another expensive PCR test pay for an expensive 1 night hotel dump for 3 times the normal price and put on a show as if they actually know <deleted> they are doing!  ????

As long as they continue to overthink this thing which truly no one has an idea even the experts just open up because Covid is the norm as I've been saying get your home in order because there will continue to be outbreaks it is going to be a long bumpy road. Get quality vaccines, medical supplies, PPE, and medical staff trained and ready for another surge, if it doesn't happen then everyone can continue with their happy ending? 

Open, full throttle NO APPLICATION, FULL VACCINATION AND TEST 72 HOURS CONFIRMED WHEN YOU CHECK IN YOUR FLIGHT!  NO INSURANCE!  beginning of the year everyone arriving will have an addition in their ticket or departure payment 600 baht, based on the projected visitor if fully opened and the % of visitor getting sick the government should be MAKING A KILLING!

The brain power from the leadership just isn't there never will be in my lifetime so lets just roll the dice! Every daily suggestion just goes up in smoke and making things worse!

Edited by thailand49

10 hours ago, gt162 said:

Antigen test on arrival at the airport should take 5-10 minutes. Eliminating the 1 night expensive quarantine hotel for test results should improve the tourism.

agree, they need to implement a passenger locator form system as used very effectively by the uk. it does though require a competent and effective follow up checking system, which from experience the uk is able to do

the insurance requirement needs to be addressed too, either removed or priced more realistically with regard to the chances of a claim and the cover provided.

Why can't they adopt a lateral flow test policy for double vaccinated tourists who have taken a PCR test within 72 hours of flying to Thailand  and for expats that have their own condos and houses make them self isolate at their places of residence if they get a positive test result,?

After all, Thais returning home in Isaarn travel here on public buses from the capital and those that test positive are being told now to home isolate.

What's the difference?

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

What I would like to see is a scrapping of the Thai embassy step (COE, TP) for holders of visas. This is really the limiting step. Passengers who turn up without the required paperwork can simply be fined on arrival (have to pay for the test and/or the insurance at a premium compared to the pre-flight online rate).

I propose FOA (Fine On Arrival). Thai airport police should love it.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, gt162 said:

Antigen test on arrival at the airport should take 5-10 minutes. Eliminating the 1 night expensive quarantine hotel for test results should improve the tourism.

This part of the 'process' seems to be still under decision.

On one fb page it says the passenger must go to a hotel to have the Antigen test but doesn't have to make a booking at that hotel and no need to stay at that hotel and free to move on as soon as a negative result is received (which according to one media report takes 5 minutes). 

What a puzzle. If it takes just 5 minutes surely there plenty of space for the test to be conducted in a structured routine /batches at the airport, which would mean the authorities have control over the tests/results. Would probably need many staff but I won't be surprised if passengers are charged a fee regardless of the location of the Antigen test which would recover all costs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

So the hotel quarantine, transport charges, and insurance still remain in place, with all of it going through the Thailand Pass. The only thing different is the test, I guess, which has been changed, not dropped.  

my thoughts exactly. it's a deceitful headline, there isnt an easing of of anything, just maybe changing one test for another. how do they expect anyone to believe their .08% positive figure when they've been caught lying about numbers when it suits them! oh well, shows what they think of farangs if they think we are that desperate and so easily fooled. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

oops!!!!!!!!!!  us stock market down 1000 points due to south african variant.  i think thailand might do an immediate u turn on this opening?  europe covid is exploding yet thailand continues opening. ?????????  error??

Come on. The TAT has clearly announced the new tourist numbers for next year. 8 Million sure will come. TAT know better then you. We really don't need any pessimistic facts right now. Thailand is open now. Let's have at least one last cold beer before the virus slaughters us all.

My wife and I have been spending 3 - 6 months a year in Chiang Mai for 10 years. I do not want to spend another winter in Canada.

For the last month I have been trying to find a way back. Thailand is open/not opened with a quarantine/no quarantine.

First had some questions so emailed Thai Consulate in Vancouver...no reply, then emailed Thai Embassy in Ottawa.... no reply

Next was to look at flights... Always fly Vancouver - Hong Kong - Chiang Mai on Cathay/Dragon.

They no longer fly to Chiang Mai so have to do Bangkok.

Usually pay around CDN$1200-$1800 pp. When I put in my dates I get prices between CDN$6000 - $10000 for economy!

Other airlines had more reasonable prices but with brutal layover times. I find a 20 hour trip bad enough, I won't fly if it takes 45 hours or even more.

Cathay sent me an email about big seat sale, so I tried again and after 3 days or more $600-$10000 prices, finally found a flight to Bangkok on sale.

Booked it... there is a $200 cancellation fee with this flight.

When I see comments on here about insurance I always have to laugh. Why would anyone travel without cheap travel insurance...really only $50,,,stupid not to...etc etc. Those people must be young and healthy or have some sort of subsidized travel insurance. Most Insurance companies won't cover me because im over 70 and have preexisting conditions. A Canadian company quoted over $1200 for me and my wife for 2 months, then refused me after medical declaration. Two Thai companies have refused me outright.

Next quarantine hotels.....lots on Agoda/Booking say SHA+. Thailand Pass site says SHA EXTRA +. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to book a package. Hotels haven't returned email.

One hotel posted $34 for night, then wanted $380 at checkout. No details on PCR or transport.

Even IF all above could be met, Canada has been mixing vaccines with usually up to 10 weeks between shots. I have seen posted somewhere on Thai govt site that they will accept mixed vaccines, but require the 3 or 4 week manufacturers recommended time between shots.

So even though we have 2 shots and booster of Pfizer and Moderna and Vaccine Cert QR code from Canada govt and Provincial Govt, I won't know if that will be accepted by Thailand Pass system until I pay for Visa, Flight, Hotel, Transport, PCR on arrival.

At this point, I have pretty much decided to wait to see if things change before my flight date. If not I will take the loss of cancellation fee of $200 X 2.

I am starting to look at more friendly places to go for the winter. My wife loves to go to Thailand, but if we end up going somewhere else and she likes it, we will probably never go back to Thailand.

I have had a lot. of experience with Thai bureaucracy but this has been just too much frustration.

Add to that Thailand is starting to get a "no fun" reputation cuz everything still closed.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to travel to Thailand right now.

Just not worth the hassle

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joules said:

Tourist will never come here unless they scrap that ridiculous insurance.  It has the same effect as a surcharge.  It cost a friend of mine $1,200 Can.  Who is going to pay that just to come here when there are so many other choices?  Nobody.

To add insult to injury, it is expensive insurance that I suspect would not pay out if needed. 

• Thanks 1