Field hospitals Empty and Abandoned

atpeace

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, that's no way I want to live my life.

I prefer to view other ThaiVisa posters as being honest an giving their true opinions.

It’s got nothing at all of how to live one’s life.

And yes I too much prefer to view other members as being honest and giving their true opinions.

Until of course what is said doesn’t add up.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Covid as far as I can tell from the data and personal knowledge sure seems to confirm Covid is a non-issue in rural Thailand IMO.  You feel differently and I can respect that...

The data says otherwise, as regards your "Covid is a non-issue in rural Thailand" comment.  Though it presumably IS a better situation now than it WAS a few months back, as illustrated by the info below:

2021-09-14.jpg.4c86f1057cc1d0ae2f09f3f1dbb8c0ba.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/a.10151714100817050/10158251639567050/?type=3

2021-09-13.jpg.306b8d05635f88512dad1f1770f9d045.jpg

And regarding the daily numbers of COVID deaths in the NE earlier this fall:

As for the present, MoPH today reports three new COVID deaths in the NE, out of 30 reported nationwide. One each in Mukdahan, Sisaket and Chaiyaphum provinces.

2021-11-28.jpg.056bffd964f0c00327362e7f9ceb4b59.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/455348376083492

I'm guessing, somebody knew those souls who passed away from COVID in the past 24 hours in the NE, even if not folks posting here in this thread.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As for supposed "non issue" COVID in the Northeast region, here's is the MoPH's daily report on official COVID cases there by province (which likely is an undercount from reality, since many people choose for varying reasons to not seek medical care and/or to get COVID tested):

By my count, those below work out to a total of more than 500 confirmed COVID cases just in the NE region provinces just for the past day. 

But obviously, some folks posting here clearly don't know any of these positive cases, just like they don't know any of the daily COVID deaths there.

247226138_NortheastRegionCOVIDcases2021-11-28.thumb.jpg.95cbc8f2a6bb844fef5a74c28c1259a2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/455342799417383/?type=3

I don't think the Thai media outlets do an official EN translation of these daily province reports anymore, like they used to. So I'll chip in and do my best. Again, these are officially reported cases just for the most recent ONE day.

--Nakhon Ratchasima -- 101 cases

--Khon Kaen -- 100 cases

--Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchathani - 74 cases each

--RoiEt -- 35 cases

--Kalasin -- 30 cases

--Buriram and Sisaket -- 23 cases each

--Mahasarakham -- 15 cases

--Surin and Bueng Kan -- 13 cases each

and then lesser numbers from there.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As for the present, MoPH today reports three new COVID deaths in the NE, out of 30 reported nationwide. One each in Mukdahan, Sisaket and Chaiyaphum provinces.

2021-11-28.jpg.056bffd964f0c00327362e7f9ceb4b59.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/455348376083492

I'm guessing, somebody knew those souls who passed away from COVID in the past 24 hours in the NE, even if not folks posting here in this thread.

That is my point.  3 deaths yesterday.  Far from a catastrophe IMO . Do you have death counts for 2021 for NE Thailand?  I can't find any data.

You seem to think the sky is falling and I'm cool with your outlook.  I feel zero fear and the numbers you posted solidify my believe.  We simply see things very differently.

• Like 1

The Thai government's case reporting for COVID is often lower for the weekend days, presumably because government officials are off work and not all the cases get processed into the system as quickly as during the weekdays.

So I went back to last Friday and looked at the same NorthEast province report for Friday, Nov 26, which had an even higher total of 600+ COVID cases for that single day.

198054831_NortheastRegionCOVIDcases2021-11-26.thumb.jpg.9f5064f68b2a5a749712d0a9b9ff6f4b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/454121899539473/?type=3

Meanwhile, last Friday, those same NE provinces reported a total of 5 official COVID deaths for the day -- 2 in Nakhon Ratchasima, and 1 each in Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen and Amnat Charoen.

1797364945_NortheastRegionCOVIDdeaths2021-11-26.jpg.4ab4dab2defc8fec94778e8abe389e49.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/454115496206780

I would suggest, all of the above is not a "non-issue" if it happens to be your family or friends that have suffered a COVID death or had a family member hospitalized because of it.

But then again, I personally don't know any of those people... so....

This MoPH website, I believe, shows that up through today, there have been 1,087 officially recorded COVID deaths (shown below in dark gray) in the various NE provinces during the pandemic, and a total of 248,803 officially recorded COVID cases there (shown below in dark red).

Also that only about 43% of the population there thus far have been fully vaccinated with two shots, and that the COVID testing positivity rate for the past week has been running about 5.5%.

Screenshot_5.jpg.90502ab69c670dceb60da928e6212e79.jpg

You can see the various NE provinces listed on the mini-map n the upper right portion of the graphic above. And, the 524 new cases number for the latest day shown in red in the graphic above matches the same number in the NE provinces chart I posted and translated earlier in this thread.

The 487 count of so-called "walk-in" cases listed above in yellow also means that almost all of the new cases found in the NE region for the most recent day came from people seeking out their own medical care, and very few of the new cases were found from any kind of government outreach proactive testing program.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=province

But hey, I don't personally know any of those almost 1,100 NE region folks who have been officially listed as having died from COVID during the pandemic, so I guess that makes their deaths some kind of "non-issue."  ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai government's case reporting for COVID is often lower for the weekend days, presumably because government officials are off work and not all the cases get processed into the system as quickly as during the weekdays.

So I went back to last Friday and looked at the same NorthEast province report for Friday, Nov 26, which had an even higher total of 600+ COVID cases for that single day.

198054831_NortheastRegionCOVIDcases2021-11-26.thumb.jpg.9f5064f68b2a5a749712d0a9b9ff6f4b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/454121899539473/?type=3

Meanwhile, last Friday, those same NE provinces reported a total of 5 official COVID deaths for the day -- 2 in Nakhon Ratchasima, and 1 each in Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen and Amnat Charoen.

1797364945_NortheastRegionCOVIDdeaths2021-11-26.jpg.4ab4dab2defc8fec94778e8abe389e49.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/454115496206780

Reading what you posted above. Thanks

Wish there was a site that I could look at past data.  Using random facebook posts doesn't make it easy.  Any sites with past province data?

As for 5 deaths on a Friday.  Not sure if this is the norm or outlier.  Have noticed Thailand's numbers as you mentioned are higher on weekend which is the opposite of the USA.  Not to be petty but many cities in those provinces. I live in rural Thailand and the OP was in regards to rural Thailand.  Cities sure seem to be where most the deaths are occurring worldwide?

Edited by atpeace

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

Wish there was a site that I could look at past data.  Using random facebook posts doesn't make it easy.  Any sites with past province data?

As for 5 deaths on a Friday.  Not sure if this is the norm or outlier.  Have noticed Thailand's numbers as you mentioned are higher on weekend which is the opposite of the USA.  Not to be petty but many cities in those provinces. I live in rural Thailand and the OP was in regards to rural Thailand.  Cities sure seem to be where most the deaths are occurring worldwide?

See above....

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

See above....

OK Thanks!  Here is my amateurish calculations and feel free to correct my errors.

Thailand death per 1 million is roughly 300 ( what is Bangkok's death per mil?)

NE Thailands death per million is roughly 55  

1087 deaths divided by 21 mil population. I calculated population from the number of vaccinated that was in the data         you provided which was 43% of the total population.

Opinion -The NE is definitely more rural which is the reason for the sharp drop in deaths.  I think there would be a similar drop comparing the cities ( many large cities but not as dense as Bangkok) in the NE to rural areas like the one I live.  I believe somewhere between 3-10 deaths per million in rural Thailand is realistic.  Not trying to upset you but sincerely believe this to be the case. 

Regardless, thanks for the data.  In the end, maybe we simply perceive Covid and risks differently.  Cheers

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, atpeace said:

OK Thanks!  Here is my amateurish calculations and feel free to correct my errors.

Thailand death per 1 million is roughly 300 ( what is Bangkok's death per mil?)

NE Thailands death per million is roughly 55  

1087 deaths divided by 21 mil population. I calculated population from the number of vaccinated that was in the data         you provided which was 43% of the total population.

Opinion -The NE is definitely more rural which is the reason for the sharp drop in deaths.  I think there would be a similar drop comparing the cities ( many large cities but not as dense as Bangkok) in the NE to rural areas like the one I live.  I believe somewhere between 3-10 deaths per million in rural Thailand is realistic.  Not trying to upset you but sincerely believe this to be the case. 

Regardless, thanks for the data.  In the end, maybe we simply perceive Covid and risks differently.  Cheers

The relative scarcity of ‘cross community’ social interactions within rural communities compared to those within cities will hinder the rate of infection but ‘cross community’ interactions do occur and there have been a number of instances in which visiting relatives have infected their ‘rural’ family and the community which they have visited.

We might regard the isolation of rural communities as an example of ‘natural social isolation’ while infectious that are introduced by visitors as a breakdown in that isolation.

The lesson here is that yes rural communities are largely isolated but yes infections do get through.

And this is the problem with your ‘I’m not at risk in a rural setting’ argument.

COVID is not going away it is always going to be hunting for people vulnerable  to infection. Nowhere is safe from the virus.

With that knowledge the rational response is to make sure when you meet the virus you are vaccinated.

There is one other ‘risk’ issue.

Rural Thailand is not blessed with the medical facilities of the urban centers.

Living remote from quality health services is a choice, but it’s not a choice I would make. It is absolutely a factor in the calculation of health risks. 

Get vaccinated and follow the public health advice.