Field hospitals Empty and Abandoned

atpeace

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Exactly what I stated.  You only have to go back to 2013  and "every" previous year and the risk of death was greater.  How did peple cope with all the death in 2012,2011, 2010...  Yawn

You are making a false equivalence.

The death rates are attributable to causes, without including the causes the comparison is meaningless.

For example: Wars and famines kill huge numbers of people but they do in local ares not globally.

A war in Iraq or a famine in Africa is not a threat to anyone living in Nakhon Nowhere.

Went to one in Bangkok yesterday as girlfriends daughter has covid and was taken there from Pattaya. It is a huge logistics storage warehouse that is being used, rows and rows of beds etc. we took food and clothes as there is <deleted> all there, but not allowed in etc, had to leave stuff at the door. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are making a false equivalence.

The death rates are attributable to causes, without including the causes the comparison is meaningless.

For example: Wars and famines kill huge numbers of people but they do in local ares not globally.

A war in Iraq or a famine in Africa is not a threat to anyone living in Nakhon Nowhere.

Huh??? In every year before 2013.  Strange logic and feel free to expand on it.  Quite entertaining and as for false equivalence well...

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Huh??? In every year before 2013.  Strange logic and feel free to expand on it.  Quite entertaining and as for false equivalence well...

It’s not strange logic at all and it’s not an equivalence.

Nor, as has been brought to our attention, are the COVID deaths included in the graph.

How about addressing that?!

1 hour ago, Barley said:

Did everyone notice the big caveat on the linked website with the chart:

"NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus" 

I did and the chart was posted by someone in response to my claim that the death rate is higher now than in 2013. 

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not strange logic at all and it’s not an equivalence.

Nor, as has been brought to our attention, are the COVID deaths included in the graph.

How about addressing that?!

or the person that posted the graph- 555.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, atpeace said:

Again, good intentions but really doubt the need. 

In my state of Colorado last year during the winter there was a peak of 2500 hospitalized  at once. This is a state of 5.8 million people and it has 108 hospitals. That means at the PEAK there were 23 people hospitalized with COVID per hospital.

Given the size of hospitals I don't see how this could cause people spilling out into the hallways etc... like the news suggested was happening. Even if this was a 100% excess over normal (not likely given their age) what would a hospital need to do to accommodate 23 extra people? Buildings tents outside sounds a little over the top to me.

My guess is that if the US really had excess hospitalization they would build heated tents in parking lots also but since never happened I can only presume they were able to handle the extra people inside the building itself (not shocking since it's only a few dozen people).

• Like 1

Another thing I find odd is  excess deaths are posted with a fair amount of certainty but it is impossible to get actual deaths for 2020 and 2021.  Another possibility is I'm too stupid to find the data.  I tried for 20 minutes but every google search for death data come up with excess death data.  From what I see is the UN and other organizations forecasted the death rate increasing after 2018 and it did for the  first time in recorded history in 2019 without Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Barley said:

Did everyone notice the big caveat on the linked website with the chart:

"NOTE: All 2020 and later data are UN projections and DO NOT include any impacts of the COVID-19 virus" 

Well the big question would be  why is that data taking so long to compile ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atpeace said:

Does anyone personally know of a person that died in NE Thailand. 

Pretty much every day, AFAIK, the Thai MoPH does a public report posted to one of their Facebook pages that lists all the COVID deaths for the prior day, and the provinces where they occurred by number of deaths, unfortunately, in Thai language, although sometimes we have EN translations of that province info in the daily COVID cases thread.

Back when I was monitoring those on a daily basis at the peak of things in August with 200 to 300 COVID deaths per day, yes, there were deaths being reported in various NE provinces.

The daily report for today had a relatively light number of 32 COVID deaths -- lately the daily numbers have been averaging 50-60. Of all the various provinces listed today, the only one from the NE for the past 24 hours was ONE in Buriram. Other days, there likely would be more.

1647715333_COVIDDeaths2021-11-27.jpg.9f4be4c8ec71cecf95557ea56855d1a2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/454764262808570

PS @atpeace  I'm guessing you don't happen to know the person who died of COVID in Buriram during the past day....

But since you didn't actually KNOW him or her, I guess that means that person, and all the others prior, didn't really die -- or at least, that's what your faulty reasoning would suggest.

• Like 1

An apparent attempt by a couple of posters here to turn this thread into a COVID denyers fest, or your version of that, is not going to fly.  Continue in the same vein, and further posts of that flavor will be removed and posters may find themselves on posting vacation.

Here's a prior version of that same MoPH daily deaths report by province from back in August when daily death numbers were higher. On this particular day, August 9, out of 149 total COVID deaths reported in Thailand, 13 were reported from the North East:

699852775_2021-08-09deaths.jpg.286b5d0d532384a7a2a09aabe6ed4ead.jpg

In translation on this one particular day, NE COVID deaths were:

5 in Nakhon Ratchasima, 2 each in Ubon Ratchathani, Nong Bua Lamphu and Chaiyaphum, and 1 each in Surin and Khon Kaen.

Apparently you didn't know any of these unfortunate folks either....

10 hours ago, Airalee said:

If you Google “Bangkok Covid field hospital” and then look at the images, all you will see is tons of empty rooms.

1134E6FA-38D5-4325-984F-E55874F58E17.png

eh? without a time/date stamp i'd suggest these photos were taken quite soon after the facilities had been created, and they are not a representation of the current situation

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

eh? without a time/date stamp i'd suggest these photos were taken quite soon after the facilities had been created, and they are not a representation of the current situation

At various points in the pandemic, the Thai government and police made very clear and public threats against anyone publicizing photos of patients in COVID treatment/care facilities here. That occurred after someone posted on social media photos of a young women laying in bed in one such facility that highlighted personal privacy concerns.

That, in part, led to most of the circulating photos of COVID field hospitals in Thailand being shot and distributed by the government or local media when the facilities were being constructed or just nearing opening, but almost never from inside once they were already occupied by patients.

That said, some of those kinds of photos did manage to circulate, and they often showed very crowded and unkempt facilities. And at one point, the government -- facing a shortage of available hospital beds in Bangkok -- even arranged for trains to export asymptomatic or mild symptom COVID patients back to their home provinces in the North East for care there.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-thailand-627b3482c86556e78ba0ae7255ff3586

"BANGKOK (AP) — Authorities in Thailand began transporting some people who tested positive for the coronavirus from Bangkok to their hometowns on Tuesday for isolation and treatment to alleviate the burden on the capital’s overwhelmed medical system.

A train carrying more than 100 patients and medical workers in full protective gear left the city for the northeast. It will drop patients off in seven provinces, where they will be met by health officers and taken to hospitals.

Medical authorities in Bangkok said Monday that all ICU beds for COVID-19 patients at public hospitals were full and that some of the sick were being treated in emergency rooms. Officials said they have asked army medics to help out at civilian hospitals."

The medical care and health care systems for COVID patients in Thailand got very bad back at the height of the most recent wave in July and August, when the numbers of COVID patients nationwide in serious/critical condition peaked at 5,600+ on a daily basis plus another nearly 1,200 requiring intubation (highlighted in red outline box below).

MoPH daily COVID report for Aug. 15, 2021:

2021-08-15.jpg.1c9cd3f0e5ca0e7eeed9e502fc0034e1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Apparently you didn't know any of these unfortunate folks either....

The way the media has been reporting deaths is misleading. We never used to do this before because it's considered morbid and just not helpful.

In my local paper last year they were reporting daily deaths with general age and if they were in a nursing home or not (which typically means they're terminal or otherwise not able to take care of themselves). Everyday there was a few people, typically in their 70s, 80s and 90s and about 50% of the time in nursing homes. Beyond that you had no idea who these people and what their general health was.

This is misleading because  it gives the reader the impression that they could be next, which is not at all the reality. The worst offenders are these billboard style death counters like then one you posted.

13 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is misleading because  it gives the reader the impression that they could be next, which is not at all the reality. The worst offenders are these billboard style death counters like then one you posted.

The Thai numbers publicly reported were deaths where COVID was specifically found to be a principal cause of death, and then with the added detail of any co-morbidities/risk factors, if present.

The Thai government started out giving a little mini personal profile on the details of each COVID death in the country. But that ceased and they shifted to brief summaries of key info such as age and province long before the daily COVID death toll topped 300 per day earlier this year.

I have no idea what they were reporting in your home town.

1 hour ago, it is what it is said:

Maybe but seriously doubt it.  I bet they are 90% empty and closer to 100% if you exclude security.  Again I  may be wrong and don't live in Bangkok.  You could stroll by and ask security?  The 3 hospital/tents are 100% vacant here (NE) and now security personnel rarely shows up.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai numbers publicly reported were deaths where COVID was specifically found to be a principal cause of death, and then with the added detail of any co-morbidities/risk factors, if present.

I take back what I said about that image being the worst offender because they do indeed have an ok breakdown. The notable deaths were the 15% of under 60's with no history of chronic disease. I'd love to know a little more about those particular people and why they had a bad outcome.

21 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

We live just outside Pattaya,i dont know anyone who has had covid or heard of anyone who has died,we are double jabbed

Lucky you, the MoPH reported Chonburi province only had two COVID deaths in the past 24 hours, and 200 new COVID cases reported.  Guess you didn't know any of those folks either.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pretty much every day, AFAIK, the Thai MoPH does a public report posted to one of their Facebook pages that lists all the COVID deaths for the prior day, and the provinces where they occurred by number of deaths, unfortunately, in Thai language, although sometimes we have EN translations of that province info in the daily COVID cases thread.

Back when I was monitoring those on a daily basis at the peak of things in August with 200 to 300 COVID deaths per day, yes, there were deaths being reported in various NE provinces.

The daily report for today had a relatively light number of 32 COVID deaths -- lately the daily numbers have been averaging 50-60. Of all the various provinces listed today, the only one from the NE for the past 24 hours was ONE in Buriram. Other days, there likely would be more.

1647715333_COVIDDeaths2021-11-27.jpg.9f4be4c8ec71cecf95557ea56855d1a2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/454764262808570

PS @atpeace  I'm guessing you don't happen to know the person who died of COVID in Buriram during the past day....

But since you didn't actually KNOW him or her, I guess that means that person, and all the others prior, didn't really die -- or at least, that's what your faulty reasoning would suggest.

I do care about deaths but simply asking if anyone knows of someone that has died of Covid in NE Thailand.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed

7 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I do care about deaths but simply asking if anyone knows of someone that has died of Covid in NE Thailand. 

what are you trying to get at? The numbers are so low it's very unlikely to know anyone that actually died. Still to this day I only know 4 people who even got COVID and knew about it.

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

what are you trying to get at? The numbers are so low it's very unlikely to know anyone that actually died. Still to this day I only know 4 people who even got COVID and knew about it.

I think you are replying to another poste.  I agree with you.

11 hours ago, atpeace said:

I thought it might be different in BK.  Again, good intentions but really doubt the need.  Millions have died of Covid and excess deaths are up but IMO the fear of Covid far surpasses the real risks.

You really are tempting fate! I think we may be needing those fields hospitals again.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lucky you, the MoPH reported Chonburi province only had two COVID deaths in the past 24 hours, and 200 new COVID cases reported.  Guess you didn't know any of those folks either.

Your point?  We are discussing deaths since the pandemic began 2 years ago.  Most seem to have zero personal  knowledge of deaths other than the media. 

You seem quite upset.  We can't ask if people know of someone that has died of Covid?  This offends you?

More than 20,000 people have died of COVID in Thailand since the beginning of the pandemic, and I don't personally know any of them.

What significance anyone might attach to whether I or anyone else happens to know any of the victims personally or not pretty much seems irrelevant to me.

People on my soi are not required to report their deaths to me, or the reasons for those deaths, last time I checked.

But none of that detracts in the slightest from the real fact that 20,000+ people have died of COVID in Thailand since early 2020 -- no matter how much some may try to minimize that fact.

Screenshot_5.jpg.6b40c86f4db999b5fcacfb85cb83638b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/454802586138071/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK