Field hospitals Empty and Abandoned

atpeace

When Covid was surging where I lived, there were a lot of hospitalizations and deaths.  The disease seemed distant and not as much of a threat UNTIL it hit a little closer to home.  First it was a notice in the housing unit to wear masks and follow social distancing protocols because there had been 3 positive cases identified (no names).  Then that number increased.   Then there were some deaths reported in the area and eventually someone I knew.  Then it became real.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Lucky you, the MoPH reported Chonburi province only had two COVID deaths in the past 24 hours, and 200 new COVID cases reported.  Guess you didn't know any of those folks either.

Sorry if i dont know anyone who has had covid or died of it ,but then i dont know anyone who has had a traffic accident and been injured or died going back 16 yrs in one 

We had a field hospital near us. It was fully staffed, but had no patients during the first wave. During the second/third wave it was filled with overflow patients from Bangkok and other hotspots.

Then there were rumours of hundreds of patients in out local region. I'm not sure what happened to them and no one I know had diagnosed Covid. But there was plenty of talk and fear.

I've had 2 bad colds/flus over the last 18 months. Both were slightly unusual - one involved a constant head-ache and the other I lost my sense of smell and taste. Maybe they could have been Covid. They came and went in 3 or 4 days (but sporadically came back every two to three weeks for a day or so).

I'm going to ignore all this media hype about the Omikron strain and suggest others might to. There will be new strains and mutations popping up every 3 or 4 months.

All you can do is get your Covid shot once a year (which will cover all known strains up to that point) and live your life as usual.

We have managed to get on with our lives despite the like threat of new flu strains every year. As we all know, an annual flu shot won't stop you from catching the flu, but will significantly reduce the risk of severe illness, hospitalisation and pneumonia. Sound familiar?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Sorry if i dont know anyone who has had covid or died of it ,but then i dont know anyone who has had a traffic accident and been injured or died going back 16 yrs in one 

That was pretty much my point.

In a country of 70+ million people, the "I don't know anyone who" line seems pretty meaningless in discussing such things.

Thailand's 20,000+ COVID deaths thus far work out to about 1 person dying from COVID out of every 3,500 or so residents on average.

Dunno about others here, but my social circle doesn't get anywhere close to 3,500 people in Thailand, so hardly surprising that I don't happen to know any of them personally.

But, that irrelevant detail shouldn't in any way be used to minimize the fact that 20,000+ people have died of COVID in Thailand thus far.

Or to try to slyly intimate that maybe those deaths didn't really all occur because, after all, "I don't know anyone who..."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunno about others here, but my social circle doesn't get anywhere close to 3,500 people in Thailand, so hardly surprising that I don't happen to know any of them personally.

You are slyly altering the argument to fit your narrative.  The quote above is a perfect example and was never made in the OP or in any other post I've seen.  You just made your own ridiculous argument and then sarcastically tore it apart.  Your point?

Read the original post and don't take it as a challenge to you personally.   My social network of friends of friends of friends is probably closer to 100,000+ of which I know  a fraction of a percent.  

I have stated many times in this thread that Covid has killed millions.  I also think the reaction to Covid has been based on fear and not science or data.

• Like 2

It seems it was you who broached the (what I've characterized as) "I don't know anyone personally" issue earlier in this thread:

8 hours ago, atpeace said:

We are discussing deaths since the pandemic began 2 years ago.  Most seem to have zero personal  knowledge of deaths other than the media. 

That's what I was responding to, when I commented on the 20,000+ COVID deaths in Thailand thus far amounting to 1 per 3500 people.

Making the "I  don't personally know anyone" argument pretty irrelevant, as I've said.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People on my soi are not required to report their deaths to me, or the reasons for those deaths, last time I checked.

As for my quote. Go back to the OP.  You are taking my quote out of context.  You know that I would hope but now not so sure.  Again, I know of zero Covid deaths of the 100.000+ people over 2 years I know  through friends of friends of friends of friends....   

Edited by onthedarkside
personal, trolling comments removed

22 hours ago, atpeace said:

Interesting and wonder if anyone else knows of someone personally and even if it is through a friend, partner...  

My brother died from Covid19 in the UK in February this year. He was 70 years old. He did have COPD as an underlying condition but was admitted with Covid19.

In Kalasin, Thailand the wife's brothers girlfriend father died two weeks ago from Covid19, although he had diabetes as well as an underlying condition. They cremated him last week.

I know personally a few others that have come close to death and been admitted long term from Covid19.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

My brother died from Covid19 in the UK in February this year. He was 70 years old. He did have COPD as an underlying condition but was admitted with Covid19.

In Kalasin, Thailand the wife's brothers girlfriend father died two weeks ago from Covid19, although he had diabetes as well as an underlying condition. They cremated him last week.

I know personally a few others that have come close to death and been admitted long term from Covid19.

Sorry for your loss and this is why it is a good idea to get vaccinated IMO.  Many individuals are not healthy and not getting vaccinated puts them in danger.

As for your wife's brothers girlfriends father, this is the type of connection that a few have noted on this thread.  I don't even have this loose of a connection to a Covid death in 2 years and hope my luck continues.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott said:

When Covid was surging where I lived, there were a lot of hospitalizations and deaths.  The disease seemed distant and not as much of a threat UNTIL it hit a little closer to home.  First it was a notice in the housing unit to wear masks and follow social distancing protocols because there had been 3 positive cases identified (no names).  Then that number increased.   Then there were some deaths reported in the area and eventually someone I knew.  Then it became real.

I don't have any friends in Bangkok, surprising me being so well liked ????  I assume that most know someone or through friends know a person(s) that has died.  I thought the population density in many areas would have resulted in even more deaths as it did in the west. My less than educated guess is it was the masks wearing vs the west and how wearing masks naturally seems to create more separation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atpeace said:

You are creating silly arguments and then showing us how silly those arguments are to make.  Strange...  Do you know what you are doing?  

As for my quote. Go back to the OP.  You are taking my quote out of context.  You know that I would hope but now not so sure.  Again, I know of zero Covid deaths of the 100.000+ people over 2 years I know  through friends of friends of friends of friends....   

Keep talking about your soi if it it rocks your boat.  Off for my morning run.  have fun creating arguments nobody is making but you and then slyly showing how ridiculous...

I agree with you there, I don't know anyone who died of or with Covid. I have family, friends and ex colleagues in countries such as China, HK, Japan, S Korea, Thailand, Dubai, Malta and UK and I've asked them the question many times but none of these know anyone. 

The ‘I don’t know anyone who has had/has died of COVID’ are meaningless, worse there is no way of verifying their veracity.

Not to worry national disease control offices have been collecting data.

Since the late 19th Century data has been used to demonstrate the extent, spread and causes of disease very often in the face of wide held objections based on personal experiences/lack of experience and anecdote.

You say you don’t know anyone who has had COVID or died of it, maybe you don’t but that does not change the real data one jot.

We’ll go with the data and ignore the unverifiable anecdotes.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The ‘I don’t know anyone who has had/has died of COVID’ are meaningless, worse there is no way of verifying their veracity.

Not to worry national disease control offices have been collecting data.

Since the late 19th Century data has been used to demonstrate the extent, spread and causes of disease very often in the face of wide held objections based on personal experiences/lack of experience and anecdote.

You say you don’t know anyone who has had COVID or died of it, maybe you don’t but that does not change the real data one jot.

We’ll go with the data and ignore the unverifiable anecdotes.

Does it really matter that others want to discuss if they know of anyone that has died in their "extended" social network in rural Thailand.  Covid as far as I can tell from the data and personal knowledge sure seems to confirm Covid is a non-issue in rural Thailand IMO.  You feel differently and I can respect that...

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One of my woman's university friends (tracked and traced from a CM nightclub) also had COVID, tested and sent to COVID prison for 14 days, no symptoms.

On the other hand one of my woman's childhood friends died from AZ vaccine in BK last week, and my daughter was rushed to hospital after AZ vaccine in CM last week. The hospital doctor said her symptoms weren't unusual, but how often in the news do you see hospital emergencies after AZ vaccine reported as a common occurrence?

Edited by onthedarkside
unsubstantiated claim removed

15 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Have you heard of anyone dying in a traffic accident.  A friend's friend has a sister and her child has a friend and this friends mother died in a car accident.  This type of scenario is common in Thailand and without even inquiring have heard a few such stories the last few years.  If I asked people, it would take me 10 minutes to find such a person.  This I have done regarding Covid and not once has someone known of a person through their very extended network.  I find this interesting but some (not you) seem to be upset which is strange.

26 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Does it really matter that others want to discuss if they know of anyone that has died in their "extended" social network in rural Thailand.  Covid as far as I can tell from the data and personal knowledge sure seems to confirm Covid is a non-issue in rural Thailand IMO.  You feel differently and I can respect that...

I haven’t objected to what others wish to discuss, I’ve simply pointed out the problem with unverifiable ‘anecdote’ as a line of argument.

It becomes even more problematic when the prior expressed views of the person sharing their ‘anecdotes’ are considered.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, atpeace said:
On 11/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, Mentors65 said:

just wait, Omikron has arrived in Amsterdam. 

Sarcasm?  Just can't think of a reason to fear this rural Thailand.  Might be wrong but doubt it.

Since delta variant was first identified in Thailand within 10-days of it becoming a global 'variant of concern' and well before it became the world's dominant strain, I don't see omicron being any less tardy in getting into Isaan.

Wash your hands. Wear a mask. Keep your distance.

• Like 1

Up until mid September, Thai news outlet NBTWorld used to do a daily English translation of the daily COVID case counts by province and region, including for the NorthEast. This for Sept. 14 was the last version they posted prior to ceasing to do those translations:

875 for the NE is a pretty high number of official cases for just a one-day snapshot back in mid-September, though presumably the numbers would be considerably lower now, at least, those that are officially reported.  I'm presuming, someone knew these 875 people and all those that came before and after them, even if not posters here on this thread.

2021-09-14.jpg.e1cff052257e8d2baf10b9c8a6fd3deb.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/a.10151714100817050/10158251639567050/?type=3

If you went a day earlier on Sept 13, the NE case count number was even higher.... and I could keep going and going for different dates. But the case count tallies for the NE back in that period of time are pretty clear and indisputable.

2021-09-13.jpg.30444faf1bac74e30c728ee1b20b1ebd.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I haven’t objected to what others wish to discuss, I’ve simply pointed out the problem with unverifiable ‘anecdote’ as a line of argument.

It becomes even more problematic when the prior expressed views of the person sharing their ‘anecdotes’ are considered.

Read your own posts and tell me how you have not objected.  Also show me the data showing Covid is an issue in rural Thailand.  Sincerely curious and you claim to have it so please throw up the data.  I'm perfectly capable of adjusting my stance with good data and science. I've been wrong many a time in my life and this may very well be one of those instances.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

One of my woman's university friends (tracked and traced from a CM nightclub) also had COVID, tested and sent to COVID prison for 14 days, no symptoms.

On the other hand one of my woman's childhood friends died from AZ vaccine in BK last week, and my daughter was rushed to hospital after AZ vaccine in CM last week. The hospital doctor said her symptoms weren't unusual, but how often in the news do you see hospital emergencies after AZ vaccine reported as a common occurrence?

1. There’s no such thing as ‘COVID Prison.

2. I’ve already made my comments on the probability of a single individual having close relationships with two people, one who reportedly died as a result of an AZ vaccine (very rare event) and another who was hospitalized as a result of an AZ vaccine (rare event).

Mathematically: 

P(very rare)|P(rare) = Extremely rare, or if you wish, highly unlikely.

Apart from the probabilistic question,  these reports suffer the same problems as I discussed in my last post, they are unverifiable.

59 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Up until mid September, Thai news outlet NBTWorld used to do a daily English translation of the daily COVID case counts by province and region, including for the NorthEast. This for Sept. 14 was the last version they posted prior to ceasing to do those translations:

875 for the NE is a pretty high number of official cases for just a one-day snapshot back in mid-September, though presumably the numbers would be considerably lower now, at least, those that are officially reported.  I'm presuming, someone knew these 875 people and all those that came before and after them, even if not posters here on this thread.

2021-09-14.jpg.e1cff052257e8d2baf10b9c8a6fd3deb.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos/a.10151714100817050/10158251639567050/?type=3

If you went a day earlier on Sept 13, the NE case count number was even higher.... and I could keep going and going for different dates. But the case count tallies for the NE back in that period of time are pretty clear and indisputable.

2021-09-13.jpg.30444faf1bac74e30c728ee1b20b1ebd.jpg

Interesting but the OP was about deaths.  I think we all know many individuals through our extended network in "rural" Thailand that has had Covid.

16 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Read your own posts and tell me how you have not objected.  Also show me the data showing Covid is an issue in rural Thailand.  Sincerely curious and you claim to have it so please throw up the data.  I'm perfectly capable of adjusting my stance with good data and science. I've been wrong many a time in my life and this may very well be one of those instances.

This is an improvement, you’ve given up on anecdote and switched to wanting to see data.

Given that my comment was observations on why anecdote is not a credible line of argument I regard this as an improvement:

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health publishes the data you now wish to see:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=analysis-province

11 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Interesting but the OP was about deaths.  I think we all know many individuals through our extended network in "rural" Thailand that has had Covid.

You keep changing the argument and then refuting it. Not just once but almost every post.  It is easy to refute silly claims especially when you are making the claim.  Why do you keep doing this?

“I think we all know many individuals through our extended network in "rural" Thailand that has had Covid.”

Well yes, on the basis of probability I would agree. Nevertheless, there are a number of people posting in this thread who claim not to know anyone who has had COVID.

Refer their posts in this thread, and perhaps if you are so inclined their prior expressed opinions.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is an improvement, you’ve given up on anecdote and switched to wanting to see data.

Given that my comment was observations on why anecdote is not a credible line of argument I regard this as an improvement:

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health publishes the data you now wish to see:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=analysis-province

where are the deaths in rural Thailand? I don't see any info.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Apart from the probabilistic question,  these reports suffer the same problems as I discussed in my last post, they are unverifiable.

Almost every post in every online forum is unverifiable.

Going through life viewing everyone else as a potential liar probably isn't going to make you very happy.

Sorry I called a 'COVID field hospital' a 'COVID prison', but the inmates didn't want to be there, and weren't allowed out, so IMHO it was a suitable working description of the establishment.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“I think we all know many individuals through our extended network in "rural" Thailand that has had Covid.”

Well yes, on the basis of probability I would agree. Nevertheless, there are a number of people posting in this thread who claim not to know anyone who has had COVID.

Refer their posts in this thread, and perhaps if you are so inclined their prior expressed opinions.

ok but I personally do know of cases but have never heard of a death through a very extended network. I think you are referring tp posters discussing firsthand knowledge. maybe not but regardless I need to go.  Too much time here on TV.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Almost every post in every online forum is unverifiable.

Going through life viewing everyone else as a potential liar probably isn't going to make you very happy.

Sorry I called a 'COVID field hospital' a 'COVID prison', but the inmates didn't want to be there, and weren't allowed out, so IMHO it was a suitable working description of the establishment.

Yes I agree, many posts in online forums are unverifiable.

Sadly everyone is a potential liar.

Put these two pieces of knowledge together is the key to understanding why online anecdote is not a reliable form of argument.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Put these two pieces of knowledge together is the key to understanding why online anecdote is not a reliable form of argument.

Sorry, that's no way I want to live my life.

I prefer to view other ThaiVisa posters as being honest an giving their true opinions.

Edited by BritManToo