VISA extension - grace period / postponement on the due date

hi there

my next VISA extension (marriage) on early March. and mid Feb I return to my home country for renewing my passport then come back to Bangkok for the VISA extension. I foresee that I may not able to meet the due date on applying the VISA extension.

any grace period on this date ? or any official way that I could apply a 2-weeks postponement ?

thanks in advance !

There is not grace period for to apply for a new extension of stay.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to delay applying the one year extension if you have not applied for one since you last entry with a visa. You need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to delay applying the one year extension if you have not applied for one since you last entry with a visa. You need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country.

thanks Ubonjoe, it looks a workable solution ! I never do this before, what should I do when and how :

- before leaving Thailand, get an one-time re-entry permit on the existing year-on-year VISA

- before leaving Thailand, apply for a 60-day VISA extension visiting wife, (and get an re-entry permit on it) ?

- during I am away, my existing year-on-year VISA extension will be expired at the due date

- upon returning, I use the new 60-day VISA extension visiting wife to enter the country

- upon returning, although I entitled for a 30-day VISA free, do not use it

- after returning, within 30 days (60-30 days consideration), apply the new extension on the last year-on-year VISA

- when the extension of the year-on-year VISA is valid, I stay in Thailand with the new extension, till the new due day

- I don't need to leaving the country for activating the new extension of the year-on-year VISA

yeah, definitely it is my first time doing it !  thanks !

If you leave, and your existing permission to stay will expire during your absence, you will return to Thailand with a fresh entry. No re-entry permit will help. Joe is suggesting that you get a 60-day extension of stay before leaving and pair this with a re-entry permit. This assumes that, with the extra 60 days, it will allow you to return in time for a subsequent one-year extension.

9 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

before leaving Thailand, get an one-time re-entry permit on the existing year-on-year VISA

- before leaving Thailand, apply for a 60-day VISA extension visiting wife, (and get an re-entry permit on it) ?

- during I am away, my existing year-on-year VISA extension will be expired at the due date

- upon returning, I use the new 60-day VISA extension visiting wife to enter the country

- upon returning, although I entitled for a 30-day VISA free, do not use it

You will apply for the 60 day extension stay and then after it is issued you will apply for single re-entry permit (1000 baht). The 60 day extension will start from the day your current extension of stay (it is not a visa) ends and the re-entry permit will valid to the day the 60 day extension end. You then will be stamped into the country to the day re-entry permit expires.

The 30 day visa exempt entry would not be done by immigration since you will have a re-entry permit to use for entry.

19 minutes ago, ETatBKK said:

after returning, within 30 days (60-30 days consideration), apply the new extension on the last year-on-year VISA

- when the extension of the year-on-year VISA is valid, I stay in Thailand with the new extension, till the new due day

- I don't need to leaving the country for activating the new extension of the year-on-year VISA

After entering the country you can for the one extension of stay up to 30 days before the permit to stay date you will get when you enter the country. The extension of stay will be valid for one year from the day your permit to stay from re-entry permit ends.

You will be given a new permit to stay date that is not a visa.

@BritTim and @ubonjoe

THANKS !!  I get the concept, it is using the 60-days extension (visiting wife) as a kind of time bridge that connects the existing permission to stay (expire early March) and the application of the new permission of stay (as soon when I come back). sounds all doable, the only effort is applying the 60-days extension and the single re-entry permit. let me drill down all the details and start preparing it. feel a lot more comfortable !

MANY THANKS, and stay healthy, stay happy !