Public transport tips please

Greenwich Boy

Heading down from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on the train for a couple of days just for a change.

Planning to use public transport when I can but would appreciate some tips.

I know you need two pre paid cards, that is fine. Stupid question, I have a Bangkok Bank ATM that says Rabbit on it. Can I use that on the Skytrain?

A lot of lines seem to be 'under construction' Which metro lines are actually open? Just the colour is fine, can work the rest out.

Are the cross river ferries working, and is that a cash fare?

Any of the major tourist places shut?

Many thanks

Your bank Rabbit card should work on the BTS (not the MRT)

Active lines here:

spacer.png

Not sure about the ferries...but I believe they are open now...I remember it was about 3 baht. last year cash.

Many major tourist places are open but you may find them uncrowded and appealing...better wait for the crowds to make it awful to visit for an authentic experience (:))

And you don't need an MRT card ...you can buy tokens at the machines

• Thanks 2

If you are over 60 years you should get an 'Elder MRT Card' you will save 50% on each trip.

I tried to get a 'Senior BTS (Rabbit) Card' but as a foreigner unable

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I have a Bangkok Bank ATM that says Rabbit on it. Can I use that on the Skytrain?

If you've never used it as a Rabbit card before you may run foul of KYC (Know Your Customer) which requires you to "register" the card using your passport or (hopefully, I've not tested it) pink ID. It's a one-off task and an AMLO requirement.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tonray said:

Not sure about the ferries...but I believe they are open now...I remember it was about 3 baht. last year cash.

Ferries in my area are 4-5 Baht each way (no idea why some are 4 and some are 5) to cross the Chao Phraya.

Worth noting that on many of them you only pay on one side, i.e. if you get in on the non-pay side you pay when you get out.

Express Boat I think is still 15 baht and you can ride it for hours but only one way, and be careful with evening trips as a taxi ride back after the service is finished can be quite pricey.  Closed Sundays since the lockdown I hear.

Sathorn Pier (Saphan Thaksin) is under renovation and thus a bit hard to navigate but I think everything is running, maybe not the big new electric boats?  But I've only been back a couple days, maybe I just didn't see them.

If you have no fear of poisonous sludge nor of being eaten by water monitors in the event of a capsize, there is also khlong kayaking available in Chinatown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

If you have no fear of poisonous sludge nor of being eaten by water monitors in the event of a capsize, there is also khlong kayaking available in Chinatown.

In Chinatown, it's the water monitors that have the fear of being eaten.....ha ha ha

• Like 1