minimum gap before Booster

wordchild

It is interesting to see that the UK has now reduced the minimum gap between 2nd vaccine and booster jab to 3 months. I believe in response to Omicron.

As far as I am aware Thailand is currently recommending hospitals stick to a 6 month gap before (double vaccinated) people can obtain booster jabs. Certainly this is what i was told by Samitivej (Bangkok) when i enquired recently about a date for my own booster. They said  not likely before Feb as it needs to be 6 months after my 2nd vaccine shot. Even though i booked and paid for Moderna months ago!

Does anyone know if there is a medical reason for this or is it because of supply concerns?

On the basis that Thailand often seems to follow vaccine best practice in Europe/USA I am kind of hoping  the gap may also be reduced here.    

• Like 1

I got Sinovac followed by AstraZeneca, 90 days in between. This was from the head doctor, Phetchabun, 3 months later the 'poo yai bahn' came round and asked if anyone who had had this combo wanted a Moderna booster. I told him the intervals are too close to which he replied 'its free and the head doctor said its o.k.'. So, i signed up.

I've since talked to lots of Westerners in the district and it seems to be the same throughout the county.

Edited by Carlosm
  • Like 1

There are a gazillion charts out there.

Private hospitals only have one paid booster option right now: Moderna.

The government seems to be offering AZ, Pfizer and Moderna as a booster for sino-stuff 2X.

Not a lot about government boosters for AZ 2X.

What vaccines have you received? When? Check with the hospital which administered your vaccines. And check with your Moderna supplier to see what their rules are. And check with the MoPH. The focus remains getting more people fully vaxxed. Boosters might get more press in January? 

One private hospital's booster chart:

vaccine-guide-img-logo.png

Edited by mtls2005

You realized that vaccines are not vitamins, right? The idea of vaccination was to get it once and be done with it (like all childhood vaccinations you got). As it turned out, the covid vaccine doesn't hold very long, meaning antibodies dwindling and supposedly the body won't be able to fight the virus IF you get infected (recent world meter stats indicate about 3-4% of the world's population as of 25 November, and that's over 2 years... and only 2% of those didn't recover which is about 0.007% of the world population).

So the idea of a booster shot is to increase Antibody count when it is getting too low. 

On 11/30/2021 at 3:18 PM, ezzra said:

Don't put too much stock into anything you hear from those guys and girls in the hospitals catering for the booster shots, i just got my Moderna booster the other day in  Samitivej (Bangkok)  hospital and was told by a clerk to come back in 4 moths time for my second shot, so it seems that 4-5 months in between is sufficient enough...

Are you saying that you received another shot (booster) 4 months after your 2nd vaccination, and you are going back for another shot (booster) in 4 months time ?

Can I ask what vaccines you had 1 & 2 and 3rd (booster) and what the 4th shot (booster) will be ?

I had 2 shots of Pfizer in America before coming here, last shot was May 8 2021. I don't know how or where I could get a booster since I was not vaccinated in Thailand, and am not in their system.

7 minutes ago, Tedly said:

I had 2 shots of Pfizer in America before coming here, last shot was May 8 2021. I don't know how or where I could get a booster since I was not vaccinated in Thailand, and am not in their system.

What is your visa status?

When do you enter Thailand? You quarantined?

I guess you could pretend to be unvaccinated and try to get a single Pfizer as a booster. But your MoPH record would only show partially vaccinated. Not sure if Moderna full dose (single shot) works as a Pfizer 2X booster?

5 minutes ago, Tedly said:

You can try buying Moderna from those who paid for it and have since been vaccinated with something else after waiting too long for their Moderna shots which were due in October, however arrived in November and have now started to be administered.

Those that received something else waiting for their Moderna shots, now have the problem with the private hospitals that ordered their vaccines on their behalves not being able to provide them with their Moderna vaccines past a certain date as a booster, e.g. 3 months maximum, so they will have to sell it, or transfer it to someone else for free if willing, or just not show up and kiss their 3,300 baht goodbye. 

5 hours ago, rwill said:

From Thonburi Hospital Group:

3 to 6 months in my case (Sinovac plus Astra) if I got it right.

Astra on August 27.

Have an appointment for Moderna on December 17.

And I will surely do an antibody test before New Year to see whether all this stuff really does something.

I had very little to no reaction to the first two jabs.

In the UK it is partly as a response to Omicron and   "Professor Anthony Harnden said: "There is a very good, strong argument for raising the antibody level in the whole of the community. So accelerating the booster programme both by extending the age range and by reducing the interval between the second dose and the booster dose, would be a sensible strategy."

It was also stated by the Health Secretary that it was to buy time while the effect and spread of Omicron is studied.

The UK is in peak flu season anyway so it does seem reasonable and there is no shortage of vaccines (although they are again asking for volunteer jabbers again to get to 1m jabs a day as there are not enough spare health staff)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59449480

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

3 to 6 months in my case (Sinovac plus Astra) if I got it right.

Astra on August 27.

Have an appointment for Moderna on December 17.

And I will surely do an antibody test before New Year to see whether all this stuff really does something.

I had very little to no reaction to the first two jabs.

My first Sinovac shot if I had been asleep when they gave it to me I would have never known. 

About 4 hours after this Moderna shot yesterday my arm started getting sore.  Made it hard to lift my arm up.  This evening it is still sore but seems to be easing up now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What is your visa status?

When do you enter Thailand? You quarantined?

I guess you could pretend to be unvaccinated and try to get a single Pfizer as a booster. But your MoPH record would only show partially vaccinated. Not sure if Moderna full dose (single shot) works as a Pfizer 2X booster?

I have the non O visa, Yes, I quarantined when I came in July.  I'd like to get a Pfizer for a booster if I indeed get a booster, that's what I was thinking that if I did get one it would be recorded here as just a single shot, not a booster, unless they use my vaccine card and put it in the system

14 hours ago, rwill said:

My first Sinovac shot if I had been asleep when they gave it to me I would have never known. 

About 4 hours after this Moderna shot yesterday my arm started getting sore.  Made it hard to lift my arm up.  This evening it is still sore but seems to be easing up now.

This may be due to the differences in injection techniques for the two different vaccines:  subcutaneous or intra-dermal injection for sino-stuff, and intramuscular for Moderna?

My personal opinion (and what I read / watch the last weeks):

If you got 2 times Pfizer or 2 times Moderna wait 4-5 months and take then the booster. I would say 4 months is minimum. Some European governments recommend a booster after 5 months.

For all others if you haven't have any mRNA shot I would try to get my booster after 3 months latest

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, burner2014 said:

My personal opinion (and what I read / watch the last weeks):

If you got 2 times Pfizer or 2 times Moderna wait 4-5 months and take then the booster. I would say 4 months is minimum. Some European governments recommend a booster after 5 months.

For all others if you haven't have any mRNA shot I would try to get my booster after 3 months latest

And your qualifications for recommending different strategies?
Immunologist or couch browser?

24 minutes ago, Promsak said:

So what is your personal opinion on the thread topic instead of criticizing other posters personal opinions. 

On 12/1/2021 at 5:23 AM, mtls2005 said:

I guess you could pretend to be unvaccinated and try to get a single [Moderna] as a booster.

Can you though? Won't they ask for any documentation? To be unvaccinated he'd either have to have a long-term visa or have come through full quarantine. I'm in a similar position to OP. I don't really want to pretend but then I do want a booster. Haven't decided what to do yet.

Edited by Badger18

On 11/30/2021 at 3:47 AM, wordchild said:

It is interesting to see that the UK has now reduced the minimum gap between 2nd vaccine and booster jab to 3 months. I believe in response to Omicron.

Could be that, but likely too many unknowns about omicron at this time to push the panic button, and maybe more to do with the significant waning protection values at protection and prevention afforded by the vaccines, specifically AZ in this case. US does not have AZ and they have recommended those meeting the risk criteria and vaxed (Pfizer BioNTech/Moderna/J&J) prior to June 01/2021 to get the booster now.

Protection against transmission wanes

The new study showed that protection against transmission seemed to wane over time, however. After three months, people who had breakthrough infections after being vaccinated with AstraZeneca were just as likely to spread the delta variant as the unvaccinated. While protection against transmission decreased in people who had received the Pfizer vaccine, there was still a benefit when compared with people who were unvaccinated.

https://news.yahoo.com/vaccinated-people-less-likely-spread-203900647.html

Edited by codemonkey

There has been some helpful information posted and thanks to all for your contributions.

Just to update; i went along to Samitivej (Bangkok) today and spoke again to the vaccine desk. I also showed a screenshot of the Thonburi hospital vaccine policy  (posted by rwill above) .

This time i got someone different; she checked the records for myself and my wife and immediatly offered us an appointment for next week. She confirmed that a 3 month gap between 2nd vaccine and booster was now considered sufficient.

So either the information i was given the other day (re a 6 month gap) was incorrect or something changed over the last few days.

Edited by wordchild

3 hours ago, wordchild said:

There has been some helpful information posted and thanks to all for your contributions.

Just to update; i went along to Samitivej (Bangkok) today and spoke again to the vaccine desk. I also showed a screenshot of the Thonburi hospital vaccine policy  (posted by rwill above) .

This time i got someone different; she checked the records for myself and my wife and immediatly offered us an appointment for next week. She confirmed that a 3 month gap between 2nd vaccine and booster was now considered sufficient.

So either the information i was given the other day (re a 6 month gap) was incorrect or something changed over the last few days.

I don’t know what Thailand’s official policy is but I would think it depends on what your first 2 shots was. In the US it is 6 months but that is likely because we are getting jabbed with Pfizer, Moderna and JJ.

22 hours ago, Promsak said:

this is a FORUM bro so here we just give opinions. If you really want an answer you have to see a doctor anyways. So don't start this stuff ???? we all just expats who live some years here exchanging OPINIONS.

• Like 1