Abandoning a condo what is the penalty?

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Yes  can be easily done. About 4 years ago a father and son visiting Pattaya stiffed their hotel for evening meal of 2,500 as they checked out and left after dinning. When they reurned 2 years later they were arrested by Immigration at the airport as the hotel had filed a report of theft and had copies of their passports/id's from previous check in and notice file of non-payment of meal and services.  A warrent had been issued for them.If remaining in or returning to Thailand some can face a nasty surprise upon return. Was posted on several Thai news papers and Thai Visa.

Exactly. The same reason they take a copy of your passport when renting a motorbike. Condos as well but that's also for the TM30 requirement. Try seriously damaging a rental bike and not paying and see if you have problems leaving or reentering the country.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris.B said:

Allegedly 'stiffed'..... and on the basis of these allegations for not paying for their meal, Thailand had put out a full country wide alert at all land crossings, ports and airfields for this pair! Haha  :cheesy:  Pull the other one.

Further, do you really believe the Thai Immigration Bureau wants to be involved with such matters? Is that their purpose? No.

In fact if there's no official court record that you didn't pay, no gov't, or other agency, would ever get involved. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, do you really believe the Thai Immigration Bureau wants to be involved with such matters? Is that their purpose? No.

In fact if there's no official court record that you didn't pay, no gov't, or other agency, would ever get involved. 

Not paying for a meal is theft which would be on record if the hotel filed a police report/complaint about it. Part of immigration's job is to keep out undesirables who commit crimes, especially in Thailand which is why they were arrested when they returned to Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It is hard to envisage your condo being worth less than outstanding maintenance  arrears plus interest unless there is perhaps a loan involved that you have not mentioned.

Eventually the management will legally sell the property via the court and when outstanding dues and court fees have been paid from the sale price any surplus would be repaid to you.

If you want to sell now the buyer would have to pay the outstanding fees before exchange as a debt free letter is required from the condo management prior to sale .

This would be a civil not criminal matter.

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

Not paying for a meal is theft which would be on record if the hotel filed a police report/complaint about it. Part of immigration's job is to keep out undesirables who commit crimes, especially in Thailand which is why they were arrested when they returned to Thailand. 

If you say so.

I somehow doubt that every police report is monitored in some way by Thai immigration. People who don't pay for a meal are not nice but we don't know the full story and in any case not what most folks would label as undesirables who should be barred from entry to a country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

If you say so.

I somehow doubt that every police report is monitored in some way by Thai immigration. People who don't pay for a meal are not nice but we don't know the full story and in any case not what most folks would label as undesirables who should be barred from entry to a country. 

Correct, maybe the food was shlte, I have been to a restaurant like that before where I wanted to walk out.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not paying condo fees is not a police matter. Eventually the building administration would take ownership but that could take years.

The juristic person can't take ownership of the property directly, any more than you or I could. There is no mechanism in Thai law that allows them to do this.

What often happens is that the debt is taken to Court. The Court makes an order, and the Legal Execution Department then seize the property and sell it. Any monies received are used to pay creditors, legal fees, charges and interest.

In reality what can happen is that either:

1. Someone, perhaps part of the juristic management office, illegally changes the lock on the unit's door, seizes control of the unit and rents it out to an unsuspecting tenant. The condominium maintenance staff repair the unit using materials paid for from the building common fees, and the rent money vanishes every month.

Very unscrupulous staff also find a way to get electric and/or water to the unit for free, charge the unsuspecting tenant and pocket that money aswell.

Or the unit is rented out on Airbnb.

2. Someone from the building management or the building committee buy the unit from the Legal Execution Department for a below average price and then use condominium staff and materials to repair the unit and then rent the unit out from the management office.

Thanks for all'  advice. Money is not the problem. I am returning to Thailand soon for the first time in a few years due pandemic.

Guess I will deal with it when the time comes but it needs some cosmetic and built in furniture repairs or replacements

Something I don't look forward to dealing with nor sure that I want to live in there anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chris.B said:

How are they going to sue him if they don't know where he lives? 

The condo management have the authority to order Thai immigration to stop someone leaving Thailand on the basis of a "pending court legal case"?  55555 :cheesy::cheesy:

They can file a report at the police. The police will know where he is when he does 90 reporting, gets a new visa, wants to leave the country. It isn't rocket science.

Edited by FritsSikkink

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I'm curious to know what the fees are and how they came to be in such arrears. Surely any fees would be less than paying rent unless you are planning to rent a Thai style room for 3,000 Baht/Month? Or was there some large one-off maintenance fee? Where is the condo located, how big is it, how much did you pay, how much have you been trying to sell for and where/how was it advertised? And what would you accept as a price to sell and get yourself out of this anxious situation? Could be a lesson for many here who own condos. Please share.

Looks much more than curiosity to me. Shouldn’t you have messaged privately rather than ask him to share his woes in public?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Unless you have a WP it's very very difficult to get any sort of loan here ( going thru the correct channels )

I was offered a car loan from a major Honda dealer based on pink card and visa status, though I didn’t take the offer so can’t say it would’ve come to fruition.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

1. Someone, perhaps part of the juristic management office, illegally changes the lock on the unit's door, seizes control of the unit and rents it out to an unsuspecting tenant. The condominium maintenance staff repair the unit using materials paid for from the building common fees, and the rent money vanishes every month.

Very unscrupulous staff also find a way to get electric and/or water to the unit for free, charge the unsuspecting tenant and pocket that money aswell.

2. Someone from the building management or the building committee buy the unit from the Legal Execution Department for a below average price and then use condominium staff and materials to repair the unit and then rent the unit out from the management office.

I can’t say this wouldn’t happen of course, it’s Thailand, but I can tell you that I’m aware that in my condo a sale was forced by the juristic office through the courts.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

The juristic person can't take ownership of the property directly, any more than you or I could. There is no mechanism in Thai law that allows them to do this.

What often happens is that the debt is taken to Court. The Court makes an order, and the Legal Execution Department then seize the property and sell it. Any monies received are used to pay creditors, legal fees, charges and interest.

In reality what can happen is that either:

In any case the fees are eventually paid one way or another. When an expat does abandon a condo here I don't think it puts them into criminal legal trouble or would be of interest to immigration except to hear about their new address if still in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In any case the fees are eventually paid one way or another. When an expat does abandon a condo here I don't think it puts them into criminal legal trouble or would be of interest to immigration except to hear about their new address if still in Thailand.

You're right. Abandoning a condo in Thailand is not a criminal matter. It's a civil matter which is of zero interest to immigration.

• Like 1