TAT: Governor tells media there's been no slowdown to tourism due to Omicron

webfact

Optimistic maybe but reports all around the forums of visible increase in numbers of tourists arriving to resorts. 

Can’t see anyone worrying about the new variant as it’s not even here here, unless you are one of those with a particularly nervous disposition. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I am currently doing touristy things in Bangkok. Just seen my first tour group near Wat Pho. Snake of maybe 30 people. Bloke with a stick and a flag in charge. Eastern European or Russian from listening to them. Back in Chiang Mai there are a few new faces about. Not a lot I agree but some are still keen to travel whatever obstacles are put in front of them.

• Like 2

It's one of those Catch 22 situations. Thailand now looks like a safe haven from Covid compared with most Western countries, and combined with the WInter sunshine, restaurants in many places including most of the main tourist resorts now being allowed to sell acohol, plus the prospect of bars being allowed to reopen next month, why wouldn't you want to take a relaxing, warm break here? The trouble is that some of those tourists arriving will end up carrying Omicron and other variants into the country, the system to try and catch them is far from foolproof, and by next March things might end up looking like they did last July. they have to try, though, the big unknown is if they will have the nerve to stay open if they're recording 30,000+ new infections a day every day.

3 hours ago, Virt said:

I don't think a lot of people will cancel their already bought tickets, since it's not possible to get a refund in the current situation, so he might be correct if 600,000 already had bought their tickets, but it does sound a bit to optimistic.

I have no idea where that info comes from. Most hotels have free cancellation options and flights offer vouchers and refunds, dependant upon the airline. I don't know about pcr tests and insurance will depend upon the terms and conditions. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn told Sanook that there had been no slowdown to tourist arrivals from fears connected to the Omicron variant of Covid-19.

Still very early days to be making statements like that.

But the emergence of a new strain isn't going to speed up tourism, that's for sure.

• Like 2

The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn told Sanook that there had been no slowdown to tourist arrivals from fears connected to the Omicron variant of Covid-19.

I'm sure he's right as "dozens" of true tourists (vs expats) continue to arrive daily.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Optimistic maybe but reports all around the forums of visible increase in numbers of tourists arriving to resorts. 

Can’t see anyone worrying about the new variant as it’s not even here here, unless you are one of those with a particularly nervous disposition. 

Seems it is already here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I have a friend here in Thailand, both of us want to fly back to the states to visit family. Neither of us are willing to risk buying damned expensive round trip tickets just to have these knuckleheads lock the country down while we're out of the country, stranding us in the US, losing our phone numbers, our retirement status, possibly all our worldly goods in LOS, etc.

This is the big risk we all face

• Like 1

They should stop worrying about something they don't have and deal with what they do have which is a Delta epidemic.

Omicron will come later, and it will come. Based on what I've been reading over the last week or two it's not going to be what people seem to expect.

Replacing Delta with Omicron is something they will wish they could do quickly and simply, but they can't - Delta continues to rage forward in Thailand.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Firstly it's already in Thailand.

but also it has caused MAJOR concern in Europe - restrictions are re-ontroduced. This includes travel restrictions - e.g. testing EVERYONE re-entering the UK. This is already impacting on venues in the K and travel agents are reporting cancellations. This is bound to impact on the already small numbers in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I have no idea where that info comes from. Most hotels have free cancellation options and flights offer vouchers and refunds, dependant upon the airline. I don't know about pcr tests and insurance will depend upon the terms and conditions. 

If you book properly with good airlines/ hotels etc, there are always refundable or similar conditions , not if you cancel for no reason tho, then you can change the date. No, from what I see, the evisa is a problem ( big delays in some countries) and  The THai Pass which FB is still reporting loads of stressed people who can’t get through, help line doesn’t answer, are missing flights. That’s the problem. And leaving a very sour taste in potential tourists !