Bristol dad 'fuming' after Boots loses his PCR test before flight to Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Not true. The one 2 days before arrival to the UK can be a PCR or lateral flow test result. 
The one 48 hours after has to be a PCR

Just been on the BBC news this morning that you NOW have to have the PCR test for both directions, dropping the LFT option due to the concern over the new variant. They have also put back in place the "red zone" that they had earlier scrapped.  At the moment it is just for various African countries. I have no doubt that situation will change again within a few days with these muppets running around like headless chickens!

Not trying to sound to negative but with the Thailand Pass being so hit and miss, airlines not much better but to take a PCR test with results in 48 hours is cutting it fine and certainly not risk I would recommend. I've just got back and despite having a rejected Thailand Pass which took seven days (still no idea why rejected) resubmitting exactly the same documents and getting an acceptance 2 days later, I thought long and hard as to which company to use for PCR test and opted for a local walk in clinic (£69.00) with results by midnight which at the very worse, if it hadn't arrived by next morning, there would still be time to do something about it. There are enough companies out there offering same day results or within 24-hours so why would you choose a 48 hour one whether it was Boots, Superdrug or any other household names.  That, said I paid the £80 + extra over a standard fair to get a fully changeable, fully refundable flight, specifically in case this sort of thing happened as you've all heard the horror stories, this chap being one of them. As many have commented, still very easy to get here by Christmas!!! 

What does <deleted> me off more than anything with a split flight is the length of time it takes by clueless check in staff with no idea whether its a genuine RT-PCR test from a legitimate company or a copy/imitation pulled off the internet for a tenner, AND to go through the same nonsense when you change planes and they want to go through the whole rigmarole again!! (Amsterdam in this case resulting in 2 hours delay) Its a broken system and only a matter of time before everyone realises it and although I'm not condoning it, its human nature to find a way around something that's costing them money and enough people out there are willing to oblige. Wont even start on the wearing face masks on a motorbike, on a beach or generally outside in open spaces!! Bit to off topic...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Get another test and take a flight in a few days..... plenty of time before Christmas..... 

And if Boots have lost the original, should be free of charge unlike the pharmacies here that have notices saying "No refunds - sorry for the inconvenience"!!!

I don't get these people that create a part-time Thai family.  I know a few people who are married and only see their wives 2 or 3 times a year which is weird enough.  But to have kids as well and only see them when you fancy a holiday is ridiculous.  Two year's he's not been over.  Probably blames Covid.  If I had kids I know I would do absolutely everything to make sure they are in my life at all times.  They're probably better off without him...

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite. I had a same day result at LHR for £76, had the test about 5 pm and the result by 8 pm, flew out the following morning.

Boots charged £79 for a 48 hour result, should have done a bit more homework.

The more I look at the Covid stories I think someone is making an awful lot of money out of a human catastrophe.

Why are all these tests, RT- PCR, COE, lateral flow, certificates to fly, Thailand Pass etc etc etc not free of charge? 

You almost need a Degree in Communications to understand the requirements, and with TAT being so desperate to boost their figures, I'm surprised they are not offering to pay for correctly filled in documentation! ????   

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SamuiAddict said:

I don't get these people that create a part-time Thai family.  I know a few people who are married and only see their wives 2 or 3 times a year which is weird enough.  But to have kids as well and only see them when you fancy a holiday is ridiculous.  Two year's he's not been over.  Probably blames Covid.  If I had kids I know I would do absolutely everything to make sure they are in my life at all times.  They're probably better off without him...

And why not get married and have your wife and your children as British citizenship

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, some odd balls out there. Don’t worry; karma has a knack of seeking them out. ????

If karma is real then maybe this is karma getting back at the guy in this trivial "news" piece.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

t’s clear that not one of you who commented so flippantly have tried to build the house of cards it takes to return to Thailand.

Off to meet someone who just did it... and he claimed it was not so bad. He is more worried by the changing rules of getting back to the UK in a few weeks. 

4x for me (since the onset of Covid-19).

The potential for charging rules are very much a concern....  ultimately, anything which can prevent, delay, cancel or impact the journey gives cause for concern... There is so much that ‘could’ go wrong that is not in the hands of the person undertaking what used to be a simple hassle free journey.... 

The biggest potential issue used to be a ‘rogue’ immigration officer having a bad day and asking questions of someone chancing the visa system... not a concern for the vast majority of us. 

Now the concern is someone we don’t know, with whom we have no contact, who is wholly unaccountable screwing up and misplacing a Covid-19 test... when attempting to get ‘home’ to see your kids the impact of such a simple mistake cannot be accurately understated... it must be an awful situation to find oneself in after doing the hoop jumping. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:
14 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes .... although it's totally unprofessional & unacceptable action by Boots,  it's not all lost and gone,  mistakes do happen even in the UK,  it was probably all a complete misunderstanding as the well known Thailand excuse.

Get another test and flight booking immediately ..... 

Expand  

A tad of an over reaction on his part..

Yes an inconvenience, but another test with them and asking for a swift turn-around would have been a better solution.

Boots must handle thousands of test without mishap.

Get a grip.

How did he over react exactly ????.... where is there any reaction other than the statement that he was furious ?

I challenge anyone not to be furious in a similar situation.... 

That said, you may have a valid point that there were other options - but even while emotionally removed from the situation and with your ‘cool head’ you have not offered the best solution on a tight deadline, so how can you expect someone else to think clearly when their feet are to the flames ?

Suggesting Boots ‘fast track’ (swift turn around) is not a viable option - given the time frame the only viable solution is to take a ‘fast track’ test (result within 1-3 hours) at key locations around the UK.

For the benefit of others who could find themselves in a similar situation in the UK. 

Randox offers 1-3 hr testing (£80) - key locations around the UK.... 

https://covid.randox.com/clinic-locator/

6 hours ago, hioctane said:

Why didn’t he just get an express PCR test at the airport? It might cost more, but he would have made it to Thailand!

Exactly this.... I suspect he was in somewhat of a panic, not thinking very clearly and had no idea that such a test was even possible. 

Making potential travellers aware that there are ‘options’ is one good thing that can come out of this thread. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DBath said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s clear that not one of you who commented so flippantly have tried to build the house of cards it takes to return to Thailand.

Expand  

I recall you posting a checklist of "How easy it is to travel in and out of Thailand" or something along those lines, not too long ago. I can't seem to locate it, but perhaps someone else here can. 

So, is it still so 'easy' or just a 'house of cards' as you put it?

I recall the thread, I also recall the ‘bashing’ I got from some at the time. 

Some posters were commenting that it was impossible to meet the document demands it wasn’t worth attempting to try and travel to Thailand - I disagreed. 

I counted that meeting the document demands and the steps of the process were easy. 

Presenting Scans of our Passport ID page, Visa Page, Flight tickets, Insurance, ASQ booking etc were all easy. 

It was simply a matter of ‘going through the process’. 

It has always been easy enough to ‘prepare the documents and meet the requirements’... that facet of the Certificate of Entry application to return back to Thailand is (was) simple enough (the Thailand pass was somewhat of a different matter in the first week of Nov !).

The part of the process which is ‘out of our control’ is the stressful part - a house of cards is easily built, but it takes one rejection or mistake for the whole lot to come tumbling down. 

....  The wait for someone to approve our application is horrible...  getting that final PCR test result is ’nearly’ the last ‘card’ in the ‘house of cards’... getting through Airport Check-in is another card successfully erected... once on the flight a sigh of relief can be breathed... but it is only when the PCR test (Test&Go) on arrival is negative can we finally breath... 

The process of returning is extremely easy...  but it can still fall apart if someone makes a mistake - its a house of cards. 

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There was absolutely no need to go down to the airport 6 hours before departure and pay 3x the normal rate for a PCR test because someone ‘might make a mistake’..... 

Expand  

Stop exaggerating

One poster has already gave an example of where that isnt the case.
His was actually cheaper at the airport that what  Boots charge. 

No exaggeration...  I’ve done it enough times now, the guy was poorly researched... the boots test is £79... 

However, I’ve always done the Randox PCR Test at £35  (pickup the test, self swab, drop off test in a drop-box, result the next day). 

Heathrow Airport test £80 (result in 1-3 hours - excellent....the prices have recently come down some what). 

4 hours ago, robblok said:
8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is unfortunate that these things ‘can’ happen... but the consequences of someones screw up are horrible. 

I doubt Boots would offer a refund for the whole costs, but they definitely should and if not there is room to make a claim against Boots - but thats not what someone wants at the beginning of a holiday.

The cost of re-booking may also be significantly greater as while Airlines offer free re-booking that does not include fare differences - the cheaper promotional fares are usually unavailable when booking closer to the travel date and the fare difference is often quite a lot. 

Expand  

I do agree with what your saying however the guy should have been a bit more pro active too. Even when the deadline had passed... I mean i get that the mistake was made by this company and they should compensate but the victim is not totally blameless either. Would you have sit back having total faith or would you have made some calls and so on.

Completely agree...   but the landscape has been fluid, I always try and have a ‘Plan B’ but one has not always been available (particularly when flying in from different areas). 

That said a Plan B was available (£80 airport test) - I think this guy just left it too late before panicking assuming ‘Boots’ being the household name it was would just ‘come through’...   He still had time to get to the airport and Take a PCR test (1-3 hour result). I suspect he panicked and lacked the critical thought under pressure to research a viable option at late notice. 

I’ve actually been in a similar situation last year: First time returning (after being stuck outside) - Embassy approved CoE, Embassy issued seat on a repatriation flight to Thailand, less than 24 hrs before a Sunday evening departure.  I find out on Saturday evening that my existing Visa Type would not be permitted entry at the time under Emergency Decree. 

Under that pressure it was difficult to secure a solution, calls were made but with less than 24 hours before travel, with the wrong visa and on a weekend (Embassy closed) and Thailand under Emergency Decree it was looking as though I had been beaten into submission.

I have one person in the Thai Embassy in London to Thank for checking their personal e-mail (that I’d tracked down via helpful friends) on a Sunday morning and calling me back....   a detour into the Thai Embassy (on Sunday), a Non-Imm Visa planted in my passport....  a resolution secured.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how resourceful we are the answer is in someone else’s hands, other times we have our options - this guy had options, he just didn’t know it. I’m not critical of him for that. A company he was relying on failed to deliver. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, SamuiAddict said:

Last year in Feb I travelled overseas for work, giving the wife a kiss and telling my son I’ll see him in a month....  

I next saw them at the beginning of August after a 2 week quarantine...  nearly 6 months... 

If I don’t blame covid, then I blame the Thai Government for locking Thailand down and preventing those with proven ties to Thailand to return.

I returned at the very first sniff of an opportunity on the first re-pat flight (as soon as they allowed foreign spouses of Thai nationals)... a lot of people were not so lucky and it took them a lot longer. 

Others had work commitments and their ‘freedom of movement’ was compromised by Covid.

I don’t know the career this guy has - maybe he worked on a ship, O&G, military etc... and Thailand is the best place for his Wife and child while he is away at work a lot..... Covid-19 definitely put the kibosh on the freedom to move in and out relatively freely until just over a year ago and work commitments may have kept him away for longer. 

Who are we to judge, especially when we don’t know the full story. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I recall the thread, I also recall the ‘bashing’ I got from some at the time. 

Some posters were commenting that it was impossible to meet the document demands it wasn’t worth attempting to try and travel to Thailand - I disagreed. 

I counted that meeting the document demands and the steps of the process were easy. 

Presenting Scans of our Passport ID page, Visa Page, Flight tickets, Insurance, ASQ booking etc were all easy. 

It was simply a matter of ‘going through the process’. 

It has always been easy enough to ‘prepare the documents and meet the requirements’... that facet of the Certificate of Entry application to return back to Thailand is (was) simple enough (the Thailand pass was somewhat of a different matter in the first week of Nov !).

The part of the process which is ‘out of our control’ is the stressful part - a house of cards is easily built, but it takes one rejection or mistake for the whole lot to come tumbling down. 

....  The wait for someone to approve our application is horrible...  getting that final PCR test result is ’nearly’ the last ‘card’ in the ‘house of cards’... getting through Airport Check-in is another card successfully erected... once on the flight a sigh of relief can be breathed... but it is only when the PCR test (Test&Go) on arrival is negative can we finally breath... 

The process of returning is extremely easy...  but it can still fall apart if someone makes a mistake - its a house of cards. 

Thanks for an objective and thorough response (as usual). We've had our differences, but I've always respected your factual and thorough analysis.

When my wife and I immigrated to Spain this summer the anxiety I felt wondering whether or not we would receive our PCR test results in time - reminds of what you said about 'the last card' in your reply.

Ironically, they (KLM) never asked me for proof of my PCR or even seemed the least bit interested when I offered it up - I was surprised by that, especially after making sure we had all of or I's dotted so to speak.

Nor did anyone ask to see or scan the barcode on our Spain Travel Health app when we connected thru AMS and landed at our final destination in Madrid.

Anyways, I'm done with air travel for a good while after doing it 26 years week-in and week-out, I have zero desire to get back on a plane anytime soon.

I'm going to try to enjoy my life here on the ground for a while and do as much exploring as I can in the meantime.

Good luck with your frequent travels and take care.

10 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

But what happened regarding his flight? Did he get to cancel it without being charged?

Heaven knows..... I thought he could have got a test at the airport and not had the issue. Airlines are being a bit more flexible these days.