DLT Chatuchak or Sukhumvit open?

TheScience

If your DL has expired less than 12 months, then the normal 5 yearly renewal process applies. If expired for more than 12 months, then you need to start again from scratch. Both DLT Chatuchak and DLT Bangchak are open, but foreigners are required to make advanced bookings for their renewal. Currently DLT Bangchak has a 3 month wait for renewal.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how far you are from your nearest DLT office but for me, I was 6 months expired, drove to the DLT office near me (15 minute drive) and asked about renewing, they told me what papers I needed and I returned a day or two later and had renewed licenses in about 2 hours,  problem solved.  

Sometimes it's better to make a visit in person rather than waiting for the online go-ahead.

• Thanks 1

I went to the Sukhumvit office (next to BTS Bang Chak) and it’s fully open..

but… all DL issues are “by appointment” only.. they don’t do walk-ups 

Thais use the DLT E-QUEUE app, but foreigners must make an appointment manually with the office.  Even though you may have a 13 digit # (be there via pink card, or more recently via Mor Phrom) they don’t accept those for the e-queue.

(I made an e-queue booking using my Morh Phrom and it was rejected at the DLT, but they nicely gave me a foreigners appointment for the very next week despite the list being full…. because i had already waited for about one month already via the e-queue platform)

As noted, appointments at Sukhumvit are fully booked for MONTHS out — I recall that late March was the first days i saw with openings readily available.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, new2here said:

Thais use the DLT E-QUEUE app, but foreigners must make an appointment manually with the office.  Even though you may have a 13 digit # (be there via pink card, or more recently via Mor Phrom) they don’t accept those for the e-queue.

(I made an e-queue booking using my Morh Phrom and it was rejected at the DLT, but they nicely gave me a foreigners appointment for the very next week despite the list being full…. because i had already waited for about one month already via the e-queue platform)

As noted, appointments at Sukhumvit are fully booked for MONTHS out — I recall that late March was the first days i saw with openings readily available.

Thanks for this

The system is utterly broken

46 minutes ago, new2here said:

DLT Smart Queue is the app to use for non Thais although the list of DLT offices are in Thai so you will need a translater.

I booked an appointment for Banglamung DLT in September and the earliest date I could get was 1st Eebruary.

31 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

DLT Smart Queue is the app to use for non Thais although the list of DLT offices are in Thai so you will need a translater.

I booked an appointment for Banglamung DLT in September and the earliest date I could get was 1st Eebruary.

I think this is a YMMV situation as i did have an e-queue (based on my 13 digit from MP) but was told at the office that as a non-Thai, i’m not eligible… so… 

Im not sure what the official answer is, as i’ve not seen anything that definitively says one way or the other. 

in the end, the office staff did “take care of me “ in that they gave me an appointment the very next Friday (i’m free on Friday’s) despite the foreigners queue list being 100% full. 

The plan...

Using the website...

1 Try to book Chatuchak

2 Try to book Sukhumvit

3 If I cannot get a booking then try a walk in on Sukhumvit

Is list of documents on website perfect?

I still have my immigration address verification.

Do I need another rubbish doctors note?

I don't even have a car!

Might my tax id schedule me for anything?

Edited by TheScience

10 hours ago, TheScience said:

I'm nine months late.

Is there a link for appt on the main website? I'd thought I'd seen one.

Main DLT still says NoT OPEN.

I went with an appointment for my DL renewal exactly one year after my expiration birthday and all went ok except that they did not want to accept my 13 digits id from my vaccination.  My wife confront them with force and then they accepted my passport id.  It was my last day, 365 days late, and they wanted us to come back with another appointment from them if not for my wife verbal violent intervention. 

Moral: When visiting any government office always go with your wife if you can. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

I went with an appointment for my DL renewal exactly one year after my expiration birthday and all went ok except that they did not want to accept my 13 digits id from my vaccination.  My wife confront them with force and then they accepted my passport id.  It was my last day, 365 days late, and they wanted us to come back with another appointment from them if not for my wife verbal violent intervention. 

Moral: When visiting any government office always go with your wife if you can. 

My wife is too passive. She's not meek but she won't get in anyone's face even if you've already lost the game

Another moral ..

They just don't care despite them being closed for months on end.

Immigration is the same...

Went to the DLT in Chatuchak to renew my license last week. 

They only process 40 foreigners a day, on a first-come basis. I arrived at 6.50am and all seats were filled up by then, so go there very early. Quite a few had problems with the proof of residence and was turned away so make sure you got that in order. 

That being said, once you get your queue number, it is as smooth sailing as dealing with Thai government entities gets. 

2 minutes ago, KinKinReowReow said:

proof of residence

Because they didn't have it or it was too old and dated?

What about an older medical certificate?

So, you went in without an appointment?

Same building as where I got my license I presume (kinda forget)

Thank you

The Bangchak DLT office is open. I renewed my 5 year licenses there a couple of weeks ago.

Before the office closed all those months ago I had an appointment obtained from that office, written on a yellow slip of paper.

I was very lucky, because I randomly turned up and they honoured their previous appointment and told me to go in and get started.

About 2 hours later I had both my 5 year licenses. I was about 8 months overdue.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:47 AM, TheScience said:

Because they didn't have it or it was too old and dated?

What about an older medical certificate?

So, you went in without an appointment?

Same building as where I got my license I presume (kinda forget)

Thank you

Seems like they had a proof of residence, but there were some issues with it. What they were, I do not know. 

You need to have a new medical certificate. Can't remember exactly how old it can be, but not more than a month old or so. Dr. Donna took care of it in 10 min and dirt cheap so that would be my recommendation.

No appointments for foreigners, is my understanding at the moment. Only walk-in and first come. 
Cannot stress how important it is that you get there early. 6.30 or so, and you'll be good. 

Yeah, same building as always. Big purple front at the end of the complex when you come from Phahon Yothin.