Thai unemployment at its worst point in 14 years

webfact

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

A large proportion of the Male Population are Bone Idle and have no intention of working if they can get away with it.  There are so many still 'living with Mum and Dad' into their 40's and never taken any responsibility for anything; including Children Born to Girlfriends who were left to fend for themselves years ago.    Even those that are 'Married'; or what they call Married after a Party in the Village, still in many cases don't work but rely on their 'Wives' to go to work for up to 15 hours a day to not just feed the Family but supply all the money for Bills, Beer and Tobacco.   We have Female Neighbours who left these idle Jerks years ago, went back to live with Mum and took the Kid(s) with them and the Men never visit the Kids or make any financial contributions or offer any help whatsoever.   Much of this has to be blamed on succeeding Governments of all colours who have never done anything about errant Males and poor parenting for never teaching them anything about 'Responsibility', 'Accountability' and the like.

Good post and 100% correct 

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand's tourism represented an estimated 20% of GDP, prior to 2019. That is how many jobs? 6 million? And how many of those people are unemployed now, due to the sadistic sabotage of this economic sector? 

Any figures these liars and creeps provide are fake. So, what is the real unemployment figure? 20%, 25%, 30%? 

They said 2.3% I’m sure they mean 23% that would make the true figure upwards of 23%. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pravda said:

It was meant as tongue in cheek, but anyhoo it looks like you didn't read your own link. Quite a few zeroes there, whowouldathought 

IMG-20211210-161711.jpg

Maybe it's time for a maths lesson, or new glasses.

"It's pretty astronomical as Thailand unemployment has always been zero"

36 minutes ago, Almer said:

They said 2.3% I’m sure they mean 23% that would make the true figure upwards of 23%. 

Anything and everything these circus clowns say is a lie. They have an abhorrence of truth, accuracy, competency and transparency. So, you are likely close to the mark. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

A large proportion of the Male Population are Bone Idle and have no intention of working if they can get away with it.  There are so many still 'living with Mum and Dad' into their 40's and never taken any responsibility for anything; including Children Born to Girlfriends who were left to fend for themselves years ago.    Even those that are 'Married'; or what they call Married after a Party in the Village, still in many cases don't work but rely on their 'Wives' to go to work for up to 15 hours a day to not just feed the Family but supply all the money for Bills, Beer and Tobacco.   We have Female Neighbours who left these idle Jerks years ago, went back to live with Mum and took the Kid(s) with them and the Men never visit the Kids or make any financial contributions or offer any help whatsoever.   Much of this has to be blamed on succeeding Governments of all colours who have never done anything about errant Males and poor parenting for never teaching them anything about 'Responsibility', 'Accountability' and the like.

It's wonderful how some can make a judgement of Thai working class (of a country of 70 mil. population) just from his experience of his wife's family and his view over the fence.

Wondering how Thailand has been able to develop itself practically from zero within last 70 - 80 years to the present level.    

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. Fundamentally, though, I don't think that is so much the fault of successive governments, but rather the cause has to be in the matricentral culture that is so characteristic of a large part (most?) of Thailand = the man leaves his family to live with his wife's family. As a result, he often finds himself in an unfamiliar environment to which he stays relatively unattached. The children will anyway be taken care of by the mother's family which they have grown up with. The temptation to leave is there. On the other hand, often enough, the woman will end up kicking the guy out - the woman's family may well influence that decision, especially if the man drains the family resources instead of contributing to it.

Are the men childish and irresponsible because of this matricentral system, in which their importance is actually not that great, in spite of all macho behaviour?

I must say, of the 2 or 3 dozens of men I know in my wife's family, only 2 or 3 fit that pattern, the others are decent and dedicated to their wives and children. So I would not generalise too much, but it is a well-known pattern.

The corollary of this pattern is that the women are often left alone and keep waiting for "the good man". All those songs about women hoping to meet "khon dii"....

I am sure that posters that shared their experience with anecdotal evidence of lazy Thais in their mo baan or village are right. However the bigger picture tell a different story. Productivity in 2021 among ASEAN countries has Thailand recorded the highest average growth rate and Thailand 2021 global competing ranking rose one rank as reported IMD. 

59 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I am sure that posters that shared their experience with anecdotal evidence of lazy Thais in their mo baan or village are right. However the bigger picture tell a different story. Productivity in 2021 among ASEAN countries has Thailand recorded the highest average growth rate and Thailand 2021 global competing ranking rose one rank as reported IMD. 

Thanks to foreign labour ?

25 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Thanks to foreign labour ?

How much does the "foreign labour" make?  Anyway, is Thailand an example of "foreign labour"? Look on Western countries, Germany, Switzerland, France. And how about UK? Without the "foreign labour" (left after Brexit) there are empty shelves and empty petrol stations.     

6 hours ago, Saanim said:

How much does the "foreign labour" make?  Anyway, is Thailand an example of "foreign labour"? Look on Western countries, Germany, Switzerland, France. And how about UK? Without the "foreign labour" (left after Brexit) there are empty shelves and empty petrol stations.     

Yes Thailand is an example of foreign labour. I know what it is like in Western Europe because I live there but have you ever talked to workers on a construction site ? I did and I smoked a cigarette with them during their break. Depending on the location in Thailand they came from Burma, Laos or Cambodia, they are the ones yoy can see in the evening with the coloured helmets on being jam packed transported in an open truck back to their camps. During the last 2 decades I never ever caught one single Thai working there, apart from the team leaders.

The UK is a different story, this has been caused by the typical misplaced English arrogancy of boris. Finally he was prepared to issue 5,000 temporary work permits to lorry drivers but only a few hundred applied. The rest gave him their middle finger.

You reap what you sow !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Yes Thailand is an example of foreign labour. I know what it is like in Western Europe because I live there but have you ever talked to workers on a construction site ? I did and I smoked a cigarette with them during their break.

9 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Certainly not Thai workers. FYI my moo baan is in Europe.

What a lifetime experience to speak with workers at their smoke break. Next time when you are in Thailand for a week or two I can show you few Hi-Tech engineering facilities (even near Pattaya) built entirely by Thai workers and engineers under supervision of handful of foreign advisers from the companies supplying the equipment. Being there with them for a bit more than a smoke break.

Yes, there are areas where the foreign workers are profiting (and the Thai employers as well), however, they are working under Thai Labour law, their employers have to register them and pay for it. Of course there are many cases of Schwarzarbeit, similarly as you surely can see it in your country, not only at Baustellen where you hardly can understand the workers' language.  You hardly can catch a taxi where the driver speaks Hochdeutsch. Similarly in other Western countries, Switzerland could hardly make a construction nor offer a service in a hotel without foreign "sezoniers" (hired only for few months).  

Edited by Saanim

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

On the backs of it's hard working women!

Yes, I agree, it's partly true. However, beware of generalizing from your sojourn in Pattaya or similar.

As in my previous post, I can bring you in places where you can see factories from inside, seeing there also male workers hard working.   And in numerous cases I have seen situations when I asked myself what would be the reaction of a worker in a 1st world country (Mister, on such a job I could only ...)  

Figures are nonsense. In most normal countries, you are considered employed if you pay income tax... which most Thais are either too poor (or too rich) to do. How are they coming to these figures with any believable grasp on reality? Sitting on the side of the road in a hammock selling coconuts or deck chairs isn't employment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

Sitting on the side of the road in a hammock selling coconuts or deck chairs isn't employment.

Why not? Or do you need to buy a coconut only in 7/11? And feeding the overhead and franchise?

You should cease to look on this world by western eyes. Such views lead to the poverty in the old world where crowds are sitting on side of the road - unfortunately not in a hammock and not only in daytime - selling nothing but awaiting few coins in their hat in front of them.  

To be unemployed in Thailand you have to have been previously in a salaried job and paid into the social fund. And benefits are time limited. The reality is that probably more than half the people work in the informal sector - roadside food stalls, village shops, builders, electricians, you name it.

In my family, my wife runs a village shop - no incentive to declare actual income because of income tax and social security payments. She employed a niece until 2 weeks ago as a part-time shop assistant, cash in hand (niece now has a real job!) Nephew works for Dad killing chickens (was promised government job 18 months ago, never given a start date). His dad also works informally. His wife sells in the market - also informally. Same for 2 other nieces and Nephews.

What with retired, school age etc., out of 16 family members only 3 are officially 'employed' - but no-one is unemployed.

If you do find a proper job, usually they want 10 hours plus a day, 6 days a week - but only want to pay minimum wage. Not surprised so many work informally.

My job is ATM......

10 hours ago, Saanim said:

What a lifetime experience to speak with workers at their smoke break. Next time when you are in Thailand for a week or two I can show you few Hi-Tech engineering facilities (even near Pattaya) built entirely by Thai workers and engineers under supervision of handful of foreign advisers from the companies supplying the equipment. Being there with them for a bit more than a smoke break.

Yes, there are areas where the foreign workers are profiting (and the Thai employers as well), however, they are working under Thai Labour law, their employers have to register them and pay for it. Of course there are many cases of Schwarzarbeit, similarly as you surely can see it in your country, not only at Baustellen where you hardly can understand the workers' language.  You hardly can catch a taxi where the driver speaks Hochdeutsch. Similarly in other Western countries, Switzerland could hardly make a construction nor offer a service in a hotel without foreign "sezoniers" (hired only for few months).  

It is pretty nasty to humiliate someone you don't know  a bit about. My "lifetime experience" in Thailand is a bit longer than 2 weeks as you mention. My first visit was in 1967 and after that I came off and on untill 30 years ago when we started to come every Christmas 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. Since 2001 when I retired I came twice a year for 2 to 3 months. During all those years I've seen the country changing, In Patong where I usualy stay All and really ALL the workers in restaurants both serving and cooking, people selling on the markets, the boys on the beach taking care of the beds and umbrella's are foreign. Mostly Burmese but I also found people from India, Bangla Desh and Nepal. After staying in Patong I always travel to a different location, to the South, the North and the West and also been to many different islands and everywhere I found the same. Working under Thai labour law ? From the managers in the restaurants where I take my meals, also foreign, I know they hire the Burmese because they are cheaper and only half the workforce is on the payroll.

The example about the High tech plant is a nice story but are you aware where the investment came from ? Probably foreign.

The point is you are wondering how Thailand has been able to develop ITSELF and I think they never could have done this without foreign investment and labour.

I could provide you a long list of foreign compagnies operating in Thailand but I think you know them yourself too.

Certainly Europe after WW 2 was in a terrible state and I think without the Marshall Aid from the US it would have taken much longer to build it as it is now.

A free advice : if you don't know the English translation of some German words try Google.   

• Like 1

To be unemployed in Thailand you have to have been previously in a salaried job and paid into the social fund. And benefits are time limited. The reality is that probably more than half the people work in the informal sector - roadside food stalls, village shops, builders, electricians, you name it.

In my family, my wife runs a village shop - no incentive to declare actual income because of income tax and social security payments. She employed a niece until 2 weeks ago as a part-time shop assistant, cash in hand (niece now has a real job!) Nephew works for Dad killing chickens (was promised government job 18 months ago, never given a start date). His dad also works informally. His wife sells in the market - also informally. Same for 2 other nieces and Nephews.

What with retired, school age etc., out of 16 family members only 3 are officially 'employed' - but no-one is unemployed.

If you do find a proper job, usually they want 10 hours plus a day, 6 days a week - but only want to pay minimum wage. Not surprised so many work informally.

My job is ATM......

6 hours ago, rickudon said:

My job is ATM......

I like you to work for me...................................

19 hours ago, Saanim said:

Yes, I agree, it's partly true. However, beware of generalizing from your sojourn in Pattaya or similar.

As in my previous post, I can bring you in places where you can see factories from inside, seeing there also male workers hard working.   And in numerous cases I have seen situations when I asked myself what would be the reaction of a worker in a 1st world country (Mister, on such a job I could only ...)  

That is as maybe, and hopefully a factor of the future. I had a good pal who ran a factory in Bangkok and his comment was to always employ women. Men were too much trouble and disturbed the smooth running of the place. He also said Toms made good supervisors.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

It is pretty nasty to humiliate someone you don't know  a bit about. My "lifetime experience" in Thailand is a bit longer than 2 weeks as you mention. My first visit was in 1967 and after that I came off and on untill 30 years ago when we started to come every Christmas 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. Since 2001 when I retired I came twice a year for 2 to 3 months. During all those years I've seen the country changing, In Patong where I usualy stay All and really ALL the workers in restaurants both serving and cooking, people selling on the markets, the boys on the beach taking care of the beds and umbrella's are foreign. Mostly Burmese but I also found people from India, Bangla Desh and Nepal. After staying in Patong I always travel to a different location, to the South, the North and the West and also been to many different islands and everywhere I found the same. Working under Thai labour law ? From the managers in the restaurants where I take my meals, also foreign, I know they hire the Burmese because they are cheaper and only half the workforce is on the payroll.

The example about the High tech plant is a nice story but are you aware where the investment came from ? Probably foreign.

The point is you are wondering how Thailand has been able to develop ITSELF and I think they never could have done this without foreign investment and labour.

I could provide you a long list of foreign compagnies operating in Thailand but I think you know them yourself too.

Certainly Europe after WW 2 was in a terrible state and I think without the Marshall Aid from the US it would have taken much longer to build it as it is now.

A free advice : if you don't know the English translation of some German words try Google.   

It is pretty foolish to make any judgements about life and conditions of working class unless you are not permanently connected with the business working life. Experience from temporary stays in places like Pattaya, Phuket cannot give you any ideas what is a life of other 70 million people in Thailand.  

12 hours ago, Saanim said:

It is pretty foolish to make any judgements about life and conditions of working class unless you are not permanently connected with the business working life. Experience from temporary stays in places like Pattaya, Phuket cannot give you any ideas what is a life of other 70 million people in Thailand.  

I think proper reading is not your strongest point, I said many places but I never mentioned Pattaya because I've never been there. I also calculated my stays in Thailand and came out on 9 years all together. AT Least. Not realy temporary and long enough to get a good impression when one is curious and sticks his nose in everything he is interested in.