Problems because of Microsoft Update

Russell17au

On 7th December when I shutdown one of my laptops it went into the automatic Microsoft Update before closing down and the following morning I started the laptop and it went through the usual update procedure before it opened the programs but when it came to the screen to sign in it was different because instead of the box under my name that I put my password in there was just a sign that said "sign in" and when I click on that it says "Just a moment" and the usual little wheel rotates but then it goes back to the "Sign in" screen and the computer does not open. I contacted Microsoft Support on December 8 and they told me it was a gliche in the system and to wait for 1 hour and try again. Well I waited and nothing changed so I packed the laptop away as it cannot be used and this morning December 10 I got the laptop out and tried it but it is still the same as December 8. Laptop unusable. Anyone else have any problems with Microsoft Updates?

Install Linux.  Then add a Virtual Machine application like Oracle's VirtualBox.

Install WIndows 10 in VirtualBox as a virtual machine.  Get your Windows set up the way you want and then make cloned copies.  Then when Windows Update screws up your installation, you can simply bring up the cloned copy and you're back in business within a couple of minutes.  it will make your life a whole lot easier.  MS Windows is a poorly designed OS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Try opening in safe mode and restore to a previous backup point to unwind the upgrade, and then turn off auto update.

Mind you, the chances of there being a valid restoration point available is akin to winning the Thai lottery. I did it successfully recently and had a hard on for a week!

Ok, I tried opening the laptop via the Bios and I used the ESC key whilst turning the laptop on but it would not open the Bios so that I could select "Safe Mode". It just went straight to go into Windows with the same result as before.

26 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Install Linux.  Then add a Virtual Machine application like Oracle's VirtualBox.

Install WIndows 10 in VirtualBox as a virtual machine.  Get your Windows set up the way you want and then make cloned copies.  Then when Windows Update screws up your installation, you can simply bring up the cloned copy and you're back in business within a couple of minutes.  it will make your life a whole lot easier.  MS Windows is a poorly designed OS.

The problem is that I cannot get into the computer to install Linux

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I had something very similar happen (it lost my PIN) which actually meant I had to do a re-install, even a refresh didn't fix it ???? 

No Windows system has just a PIN. If it has a PIN then it also has a password. Use option B if option A does not work.

20 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Ok, I tried opening the laptop via the Bios and I used the ESC key whilst turning the laptop on but it would not open the Bios so that I could select "Safe Mode". It just went straight to go into Windows with the same result as before.

You must get into windows safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Edited by userabcd

6 minutes ago, userabcd said:

It seems to be very hard for people to understand that I cannot get into the computer to go into safe mode

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No Windows system has just a PIN. If it has a PIN then it also has a password. Use option B if option A does not work.

I did of course, and despite me knowing the password it still didn't let me in (incorrect password). Trust me, I did everything.

Nothing lost as I had a system backup from a short time before and my documents are in cloud storage.

And of course the "incorrect password" works just fine on the restored system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I did of course, and despite me knowing the password it still didn't let me in (incorrect password). Trust me, I did everything.

Nothing lost as I had a system backup from a short time before and my documents are in cloud storage.

And of course the "incorrect password" works just fine on the restored system.

one thing that got me scratching my head for some time was the same "wrong password" problem - the update changed my keyboard settings, so that the key mappings were different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tgw said:

one thing that got me scratching my head for some time was the same "wrong password" problem - the update changed my keyboard settings, so that the key mappings were different.

Yup, thought of that one too (view password) as my PW does contain special characters.

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It seems to be very hard for people to understand that I cannot get into the computer to go into safe mode

if you can get to the login screen, then you can go into safe mode.

the usual key to boot into windows safe mode is F8.

press F8 when you start up your computer and windows should start right into safe mode

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Have you got a smart phone? Can you take a picture of the laptop screen and post it?

55 minutes ago, userabcd said:

26 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

In your posts you mentioned getting into bios safe mode?

But you need to get into windows safe mode to try solve windows password issue.

Thanks everybody for your help and suggestions but it looks like I need to take it to someone who know what to do as I know how to operate a computer but I am not that savy when it gets to things like this

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

On 7th December when I shutdown one of my laptops it went into the automatic Microsoft Update before closing down and the following morning I started the laptop and it went through the usual update procedure before it opened the programs but when it came to the screen to sign in it was different because instead of the box under my name that I put my password in there was just a sign that said "sign in" and when I click on that it says "Just a moment" and the usual little wheel rotates but then it goes back to the "Sign in" screen and the computer does not open. I contacted Microsoft Support on December 8 and they told me it was a gliche in the system and to wait for 1 hour and try again. Well I waited and nothing changed so I packed the laptop away as it cannot be used and this morning December 10 I got the laptop out and tried it but it is still the same as December 8. Laptop unusable. Anyone else have any problems with Microsoft Updates?

It sounds as if a new feature version was installed. Somehow changed your Local account sign-in to a Microsoft account sign-in. But you don't have an associated Microsoft account, do you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

looks like they switched you to an "online" sign-on, instead of the "local" sign-on

typical MS, bait and switch, another reason why I disable "auto-update" and do only "selective" updates

look for a tiny link at the bottom that says "skip this", I came to something like this once, and was able to "skip" it. Not 100% sure how.

• Like 2

Have you signed into the Microsoft Store using a Microsoft account ever or used Microsoft PIN to sign in??

Anyway, you can see how Safe Mode looks to you: https://support.lenovo.com/hn/en/solutions/ht105328-f8-or-fn-f8-key-not-able-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10-thinkpad

If no use, you can go in to enable the hidden Administrator account: https://www.isumsoft.com/it/enable-hidden-administrator-account-in-windows-10-without-login/

Once in you can revert back to a Local account from the current push to get you to use a Microsoft sign in.

23 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

don't think you can on Pro version, only "suspend" for 1 month or more

the "Home" version let you suspend for up to 1 month

My experience with the Home MS software is there is no stated specific amount of time to postpone the updates - it is possible sometimes to put it off that day but eventually it forces install - often long before 1 month.

Edited by JimmyJ

28 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

My experience with the Home MS software is there is no stated specific amount of time to postpone the updates - it is possible sometimes to put it off that day but eventually it forces install - often long before 1 month.

I have just gone into settings on this computer and it states under the Windows updates that you can only pause the Windows updates for 7 days but I have also seen somewhere that you can pause the updates for a maximum of 35 days but I cannot remember where it was

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

they do sneak some "updates" download but not install them, I usually delete the downloads manually, a PITA