Drunk minivan driver intercepted after passenger reports terror ride

webfact

8 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

One of the reasons there's a 1000 fatalities a month!

Should take his nonexistent license away!

Yes, a coach bus driver has around 58 people's lives in his hands, and he has had no proper heavy vehicle training, and most likely paid a bribe to get his licence.   

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, a coach bus driver has around 58 people's lives in his hands, and he has had no proper heavy vehicle training, and most likely paid a bribe to get his licence.   

It was a mini van ( see headline ), you do not need any additional training or license to drive one of these in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It was a mini van ( see headline ), you do not need any additional training or license to drive one of these in Thailand.

No, but the driving test is tough.  They have to negotiate heavy traffic at high speed, wearing a blindfold.

11 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I know it was a minivan.  I simply used a larger public passenger vehicle to highlight how many lives a poorly trained and unprofessional Thai driver can have in his hands, not to mention, the vehicles coming the other direction as well.  

Several small ATR 72 planes are in operation in Thailand.  They carry about 72 passengers.  The pilot has to meet international training standards, and the plane has to meet international standards for maintenance.

A 300 baht a day, untrained Thai driver, who may have paid a bribe for his licence, has around 58 people's lives in his hands, which is not that many less than a popular small commercial flight in Thailand that has to meet high international standards. 

Little wonder so many die on the roads here.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

I know it was a minivan.  I simply used a larger public passenger vehicle to highlight how many lives a poorly trained and unprofessional Thai driver can have in his hands, not to mention, the vehicles coming the other direction as well.  

Several small ATR 72 planes are in operation in Thailand.  They carry about 72 passengers.  The pilot has to meet international training standards, and the plane has to meet international standards for maintenance.

A 300 baht a day, untrained Thai driver, who may have paid a bribe for his licence, has around 58 people's lives in his hands, which is not that many less than a popular small commercial flight in Thailand that has to meet high international standards. 

Little wonder so many die on the roads here.   

Your comparrison of an airline pilot and Somchai the mini van mong is like comparing apples to oranges, it has no relevance to this story.

• Like 2

On two occasions I've made my taxi driver from Swampy to Patters pull over and I've taken over the driving.  

The first time I'm sure the idiot was legally blind and couldn't see past his nose.  When it started raining he slowed to 30 klm/h and we were being passed by everything.  He didn't seem too perturbed when I took over the wheel.

The second time the guy kept nodding off at the wheel.  After I had to smack him on the back of the head three times to wake him up, I'd had enough.  He slept in the back seat while I drove.

Once I flagged down a taxi in Patters because it was raining and I was just a tad drunk and couldn't be arsed with a song-taeow  The muppet had racing slicks fitted.  We surfed all the way to Jomtien.

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Your comparrison of an airline pilot and Somchai the mini van mong is like comparing apples to oranges, it has no relevance to this story.

I disagree.  

It's about education, training, and professionalism.  How much of these do you get for 300 baht a day, yet, they hold so many lives in their hands.  

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

How do you figure that out, i'm yet to see a mini bus with 300+ seats....

You were also talking about training and not the amount of people involved?

Are you feeling ok?

Scroll back, Harry.  The figures are there.  I mentioned ATR 72's, not 737's.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DaveE13 said:

Looks like he's come straight from working on a construction job.  If you saw that guy driving a public service vehicle would you really get on?

Transport is an essential service.  You either take your chances and get on, or walk.  Both are not good options.  

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Pls explain how you figure that out.

ATR 72 planes hold 72 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72

Scroll down.  Bangkok Airways has 13 ATR 72's in it's fleet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Airways

The King Long coaches can hold 64 passengers.  

http://kinglong-bus.com/patch/news/d/8945/

64 is not far away from 72.  The pilot has to undergo training to international standards, where as Somchai, the coach bus driver, with 64 people's lives in his hands, probably paid a bribe for his licences and is on 300 baht a day.  

In the event of an emergency landing, the pilot will try to find an open space to land, where as Somchai may crash his bus into an oncoming vehicle. 

When you add the lives of the people in the on coming vehicle to those on his bus, it's possible Somchai, the bus driver, has more lives in his hands than the pilot of the ATR 72.  

Somchai, the bus driver, can even hit trains here.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54497497

Quote:  

"Traffic collisions are common in Thailand, with poor safety standards and busy roads thought to be key factors. A 2018 report from the World Health Organization (WHO) said Thailand had the second-highest traffic fatality rate in the world."

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

ATR 72 planes hold 72 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATR_72

Scroll down.  Bangkok Airways has 13 ATR 72's in it's fleet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Airways

The King Long coaches can hold 64 passengers.  

http://kinglong-bus.com/patch/news/d/8945/

64 is not far away from 72.  The pilot has to undergo training to international standards, where as Somchai, the coach bus driver, with 64 people's lives in his hands, probably paid a bribe for his licences and is on 300 baht a day.  

In the event of an emergency landing, the pilot will try to find an open space to land, where as Somchai may crash his bus into an oncoming vehicle. 

When you add the lives of the people in the on coming vehicle to those on his bus, it's possible Somchai, the bus driver, has more lives in his hands than the pilot of the ATR 72.  

Somchai, the bus driver, can even hit trains here.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54497497

Quote:  

"Traffic collisions are common in Thailand, with poor safety standards and busy roads thought to be key factors. A 2018 report from the World Health Organization (WHO) said Thailand had the second-highest traffic fatality rate in the world."

Comedy gold!

On 12/18/2021 at 10:55 PM, DaveE13 said:

Looks like he's come straight from working on a construction job.  If you saw that guy driving a public service vehicle would you really get on?

I would have said straight from a bender, which he had. 

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 2:11 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

How you compare pilots to mini bus drivers for one, sorry just can't stop laughing...

It's not about the differences in skills and training required for each occupation, it's about the similarity with the amount of lives in the hands of the pilots / drivers, but I guess the maths is too hard you.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's not about the differences in skills and training required for each occupation, it's about the similarity with the amount of lives in the hands of the pilots / drivers, but I guess the maths is too hard you.

Senseless.

Are you suggesting there's 300 seater+ mini busses?

• Haha 1