Visa for <50yo spouse and child of Retirement Visa holder?

Hello all,

My friend is a Canadian of 52 years old and he wants to retire in Thailand. His Canadian wife is 30 years old, and their Canadian son is 4 years old.

Can his wife and child get some sort of dependent visa to live with him in Thailand if I he gets a retirement visa for Thailand? 

His wife does not intend to work in Thailand. He does intend to send his son to a private international school in Thailand.

If yes, what are the visa(s) called?

Edited by ChasingTheSun

51 minutes ago, Oxx said:

If money's no object, then consider Thailand Elite.  They have a special option for family members of a main member.  It will cut down on the Immigration department hassle significantly.

https://www.thailandelite.com/at-your-service/card/elite-family-premium-membership

Didn’t they recently double or triple the prices of the “Elite” card?

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What would be recommended steps for this OP.

It depends upon what they are calling retirement visa.

Since the covid 19 pandemic the problem has been getting the non-o visa for family members (the MFA and immigration do not mention dependent anywhere) from a embassy or official consulate if for those on non-oa  or non-o visas for retirement and few others. See this from a embassy website.

image.png.44c66691940bb19760bf79ff8ae564cd.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

A non-o visa for family members of a person on a extension of stay based upon retirement is not shown on their list for them. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, eddi said:

Jomtien Immigration last week said that my wife could not piggyback on my new extension of stay.

She must first do the 15 months on a non O independently and after that she can piggyback as before.

That is not correct. There is no rule stating that.

Did she apply for the non-o visa at immigration? If yes was it based upon retirement?

29 minutes ago, eddi said:

We were both applying for a 90 day extension, Non O based on retirement being the first stage before getting a 365 day extension which we had before.

That would be the 90 day stay you got from the non-o visa. I assume your wifes showed 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of income to get the non-o visa. If that is correct immigration was just being pickey about not allowing her to apply for a extension of stay based upon being a member of your family.

The problem is that immigration will not issue a non-o visa based upon being a member of your family if getting a extension based upon retirement. I am aware of immigration allowing it before.

I don't normally suggest using an agent but in your case it might help and not cost a lot.

Due to the horrendous queues at Jomtien Immo last week I could not face another 3 or 4 visits.

(It took us 2 and half hours to pay THB 1000 fines for not reporting to Immigration 24 hours after arrival in spite of being in a Q hotel for the first 24 hours)

Therefore I donated the price of a new scooter to my local fixer to resolve the situation.

I've known him for many years and he has supported our local Expats Club and has always given given good (free) advice.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, eddi said:

Due to the horrendous queues at Jomtien Immo last week I could not face another 3 or 4 visits.

(It took us 2 and half hours to pay THB 1000 fines for not reporting to Immigration 24 hours after arrival in spite of being in a Q hotel for the first 24 hours

Can not understand any of that.

Why report to immigration within 24 hours. Do nothing with immigration until prior to attending office. Including address report (TM30) 

Strange post. 

• Like 1

(It took us 2 and half hours to pay THB 1000 fines for not reporting to Immigration 24 hours after arrival in spite of being in a Q hotel for the first 24 hours)

Therefore I donated the price of a new scooter to my local fixer to resolve the situation.

I've known him for many years and he has supported our local Expats Club and has always given given good (free) advice.

Edited by eddi
repeat

Maybe strange. But Immo said that after 24 hours in a Q hotel we then went to our condo and did not do a report within 24 hours of being there (that would have been on a Sunday) we had to pay the fine.

I must remind myself that Thai police forces are a business as well as a service provider.

3 minutes ago, eddi said:

Maybe strange. But Immo said that after 24 hours in a Q hotel we then went to our condo and did not do a report within 24 hours of being there (that would have been on a Sunday) we had to pay the fine.

I must remind myself that Thai police forces are a business as well as a service provider.

Since you are applying for new non O then yes you will need to file Tm30 at some stage.

Forget the 24 hour nonsense.

Realize too late now. 

You could have avoided that.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon what they are calling retirement visa.

Since the covid 19 pandemic the problem has been getting the non-o visa for family members (the MFA and immigration do not mention dependent anywhere) from a embassy or official consulate if for those on non-oa  or non-o visas for retirement and few others. See this from a embassy website.

image.png.44c66691940bb19760bf79ff8ae564cd.png

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

A non-o visa for family members of a person on a extension of stay based upon retirement is not shown on their list for them. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

Ubonjoe,

Sorry I am a bit confused .  Does this mean that  foreign dependent family members overseas of a retiree who is already on a Non-O 12 month extension of stay, can no longer apply for  a 90 day non-imm O for initial entry, and then extend based on being a dependent, 12 months at a time, as they could in the past?

21 minutes ago, neytil said:

Sorry I am a bit confused .  Does this mean that  foreign dependent family members overseas of a retiree who is already on a Non-O 12 month extension of stay, can no longer apply for  a 90 day non-imm O for initial entry, and then extend based on being a dependent, 12 months at a time, as they could in the past?

It appears to be an error now that they are not shown on embassy and official consulate websites now. You just have to contact the embassy or consulate website to find out if they will issue one. What is shown on that page is for those allowed to enter the country.

Immigration has never issued them.

It is shown under this heading on the e visa website for non-o visas.

image.png.6245063d09d0a0525fa7078c50f1a933.png

See: https://thaievisa.go.th/non-immigrant-o