Advise please on Reinstating my Retirement extensions after Lockdown in England

Hello Everyone

I am a bit confused and would appreciate some advice.

I originally had a multiple entry O visa from 2009 and have been receiving extensions based on Retirement.

I like others have lost my Retirement extension status due to being locked down in England and now would like to get that reinstated.

I have heard that I could enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa then apply to get an O visa and finally get an extension based on Retirement subject to fulfilling the financial requirements.

Unfortunately, my wife (English) is nervous to do that just in case of a problem getting the O visa in Thailand.

Therefore, I am in the process of applying online via e-visa for whatever is the basic type of O visa which will allow me to get an extension when in Thailand.

My departure is for 13th January via plane change in Singapore, my ticket duration is 141 days, will that be a problem when applying for the O visa as I don’t really want to apply for a multiple entry O?

Also, from the dropdown menu on e-visa I can only see an O visa for 60 days to visit Thai family as I believe other 90 day visa like STV cannot be extended, am I missing something.

Your help would be appreciated.

By the way myself and wife are 70 years old

Thank you

You can enter Thailand with a Tourist Visa or a Visa exempt entry.

Apply for a Non Imm O Visa then the 12 momth extension of stay.

However if you can arrive with a Non Imm O visa it would be easier.

A Non Imm O Visa would give a stay of 90 days that can be extended by 12 months.

Edited by Lite Beer

OP, I must admit... skipped through your post.

Forget the ME visa (marriage). That requires exit every 90 days.

Obtain a non O retirement.

You can do that inside Thailand.

Guessing that you have Thai bank account here.

Many threads with advice about the process. 

So to be clear is your UK wife also coming to Thailand.

Since your from UK you can obtain non O retirement in UK. 

If married to a Thai the OP can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and the extend the 90 day entry from it based upon retirement. 

A non-o visa based upon retirement requires 90 days of the 40/400 baht insurance to be issued.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai the OP can get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and the extend the 90 day entry from it based upon retirement. 

A non-o visa based upon retirement requires 90 days of the 40/400 baht insurance to be issued.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I must admit... skipped through your post.

Forget the ME visa (marriage). That requires exit every 90 days.

Obtain a non O retirement.

You can do that inside Thailand.

Guessing that you have Thai bank account here.

Many threads with advice about the process. 

So to be clear is your UK wife also coming to Thailand.

Since your from UK you can obtain non O retirement in UK. 

From the OP:

Unfortunately, my wife (English)

Hate to be negative Nellie but things are not looking good for any travel in the immediate future the way the tea leaves are lining up.  Two items reported on forum today seem to indicate real issues (BA already saying no direct flight until late next year or later and information on new virus likely being much worse than previously believed) - these combined with current messed up entry situation are likely to make things even worse in the short term.   In the 50's we ran to the air raid shelters - not sure what we do today.  Need more than coffee today.  ????

17 minutes ago, geejay said:

Thank you all very much for your help and replies, I just hope now that my trip doesn't get cancelled due to The Omicron virus 

I suspect all will be fine - believe at some point, maybe now, we are just going to have to accept and live with these new virus threats rather than return to isolation.  Thailand seems to be going that open route.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I suspect all will be fine - believe at some point, maybe now, we are just going to have to accept and live with these new virus threats rather than return to isolation.  Thailand seems to be going that open route.

I hope that you are correct, thank you for your response

Hi, here's my experience:

I'm from UK, I also lost my visa extension. I applied for a Thai Pass mid November - NO ISSUES - I flew back to Thailand on Dec 6th with Emirates, my ticket was for 60 days although I was entering on a 30 day visa exempt. I purchased an "onward travel ticket" 32 Dollars - no one asked to see it at Emirates check in (but I consider it cheap insurance in case someone did).

I did my declaration of residence at Korat Immigration a couple of days after arriving, at the same time I asked about getting a non O (90 day) and converting to retirement extensions - I was told to come back 15 days before expiry of my 30 day visa exempt - this i did and although a lot of paperwork and waiting I was told to come back 30th December for the visa - (so not 100% but it looks like I have managed to do the 90 day non O without having to extend the visa exempt by 30 days).

I stress one thing I have had in excess of 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank account for over 8 years.

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Hi, here's my experience:

I'm from UK, I also lost my visa extension. I applied for a Thai Pass mid November - NO ISSUES - I flew back to Thailand on Dec 6th with Emirates, my ticket was for 60 days although I was entering on a 30 day visa exempt. I purchased an "onward travel ticket" 32 Dollars - no one asked to see it at Emirates check in (but I consider it cheap insurance in case someone did).

I did my declaration of residence at Korat Immigration a couple of days after arriving, at the same time I asked about getting a non O (90 day) and converting to retirement extensions - I was told to come back 15 days before expiry of my 30 day visa exempt - this i did and although a lot of paperwork and waiting I was told to come back 30th December for the visa - (so not 100% but it looks like I have managed to do the 90 day non O without having to extend the visa exempt by 30 days).

I stress one thing I have had in excess of 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank account for over 8 years.

Dear negita43

Thank you so much for explaining your circumstances and method.

I have also maintained my required amount into the bank and will also buy an ongoing airline ticket.