On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That doesn't preclude it from being offensive whether intentional or not which is why black face, golliwogs and wearing of nazi uniforms is either illegal or frowned upon by society, not just the "woke" leftist fringe.

The Nazi symbols are frowned upon and are offensive to the Western World , many Countries in the World would view the British army uniform as being equally offensive , the Chinese view the Japanese army uniform as being offensive and the Vietnamese view the Chinese army uniform as being offensive  .

Some people are upset by the confederate flag and some are upset by the hammer and Sycle flag .

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

are you sure that was because of racism ?

Airlines need to spread the passengers out because of weight issues and the aircraft needing  being balanced when taking off and landing 

555 I doubt it very much, I could understand what you're saying if the plane was empty, but this flight (on a 763) was almost completely full. Plus the look on her face and the way she treated me said it all. She actually spent time looking fiddling around on her keyboard, before finally giving me a seat right down the back. 

Edited by dundas
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

How things have changed. Remember ' Love thy neighbour ' was it the '70s ?   He talked about the Nig Nog next door.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to watch an episode , Too embarrasing. Didn't last more than 5 mins. OFF !

Bill the black guy always made Eddie the white guy look a fool, was a great comedy show, loved it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

are you then denying that racism even exists?

To the level that it is perpetuated by organizations profiting from it .... NO.

Does it exist, of course, as does ignorance and together (chicken or egg thing), anything can exist, in people's mind, but not mine.

I can think for myself, thank you.

Racism is a taught / learned skill set.  Have you ever seen different race kids playing together, especially if they were strangers.  I grew up in a mixed race neighborhood.  You'd be surprised what can happen when racism isn't taught.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you suggesting that the poster is a White Nationalist !!!!!!!!

That's your trip. I didn't mention any specific person.

I was obviously highlighting a wider very insidious very real phenomenon

https://newrepublic.com/article/159589/conservatives-systemic-racism-denial

The Right’s Farcical Denial of Systemic Racism

Conservatives simply ignore a vast amount of evidence documenting its existence.

Lately, right-wingers have been on something of a tear denying the existence of “systemic racism.” Harvard government professor Harvey Mansfield, writing on the conservative Wall Street Journal op-ed page, Andrew McCarthy in National Review, and Heather Mac Donald of the Manhattan Institute, all have argued that systemic racism is nothing but a term designed to lay a guilt trip on white people and also explain away the continuing failure of Black people to take responsibility for their own inadequacies.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's your trip. I didn't mention any specific person.

I was obviously highlighting a wider very insidious very real phenomenon

https://newrepublic.com/article/159589/conservatives-systemic-racism-denial

The Right’s Farcical Denial of Systemic Racism

Conservatives simply ignore a vast amount of evidence documenting its existence.

Lately, right-wingers have been on something of a tear denying the existence of “systemic racism.” Harvard government professor Harvey Mansfield, writing on the conservative Wall Street Journal op-ed page, Andrew McCarthy in National Review, and Heather Mac Donald of the Manhattan Institute, all have argued that systemic racism is nothing but a term designed to lay a guilt trip on white people and also explain away the continuing failure of Black people to take responsibility for their own inadequacies.

Yes, but Right wing conservatives are not White supremacists .

Having the opinion that racism isn't as prevalent as some people think that it is , that doesn't make you a White supremacist 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't agree, kids instinctively attack anything even slightly different.

10 kids with black hair, 1 kid with blond hair ...... blondie will get bullied.

Not sure if that would be racism, or simply animal instinct, wanting to be the Alpha, and using the difference to unite and control.  Same as nationalism on a smaller scale.????

I've seen youngins, at day care, all playing together.  Our daughter, only child, on holiday at the beach, always seem to find the other 'only child' of a farang couple, and have a great day playing together.  Seeing is believing, and racism isn't an issue, until parents teach otherwise.

My parents were extreme bigots, 2 of my 3 brothers followed suit.  And I consider them educated.  It's a F'd up world sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but Right wing conservatives are not White supremacists .

Having the opinion that racism isn't as prevalent as some people think that it is , that doesn't make you a White supremacist 

If you meet a white nationalist they will almost always be right wingers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I follow pro Brexit and anti Brexit groups on Facebook. Noticably, the Pro Brexit groups are very much racist and intolerant. 

My father told me he remembered the first Indian in Wales, mentioning everyone knew about this doctor. Personally, I only knew one Indian kid in grammar school and was jealous as he was a fantastic artist. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OMG.

Of course there is no problem saying that black guy over there!

Of course if that black guy is wearing a pink sombrero it would be more fun to refer to that.

It is quite unacceptable these days to describe a person by their skin colour , you would be sent to a training course for education if you mention a persons skin colour 

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is quite unacceptable these days to describe a person by their skin colour , you would be sent to a training course for education if you mention a persons skin colour 

You're wrong.  It depends on the context.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I follow pro Brexit and anti Brexit groups on Facebook. Noticably, the Pro Brexit groups are very much racist and intolerant. 

My father told me he remembered the first Indian in Wales, mentioning everyone knew about this doctor. Personally, I only knew one Indian kid in grammar school and was jealous as he was a fantastic artist. 

Hi there , I do think that you are in the wrong thread  , did you come to the right place ?

"A few years back I innocently wrote in a translation from Thai on ASEAN NOW the word “Chinaman” and was roundly criticized."

So what are you supposed to call them? People call us "Englishmen" and we don't get upset - do we? 

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"A few years back I innocently wrote in a translation from Thai on ASEAN NOW the word “Chinaman” and was roundly criticized."

So what are you supposed to call them? People call us "Englishmen" and we don't get upset - do we? 

Chinese.

Glad I could assist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

" I left troubled Thatcherite Britain in the early eighties "

Op clearly has a far leftist agenda and 'Woke' with it. ☹️

Or possibly realised that UK was going down hill fast, and wanted nought to with right wing bigots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2