On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"A few years back I innocently wrote in a translation from Thai on ASEAN NOW the word “Chinaman” and was roundly criticized."

So what are you supposed to call them? People call us "Englishmen" and we don't get upset - do we? 

Sexist ... ????

Chinaperson ... all inclusive ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"A few years back I innocently wrote in a translation from Thai on ASEAN NOW the word “Chinaman” and was roundly criticized."

So what are you supposed to call them? People call us "Englishmen" and we don't get upset - do we? 

I also had a similar problem online .

I referred to  Chinese man as a "Chinaman" and some people got upset because they thought it was derogatory .

It seems that the word "Chinaman" is a racially derogative and offensive name in the USA  whilst its perfectly acceptable to use in the U.K 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

How things have changed. Remember ' Love thy neighbour ' was it the '70s ?   He talked about the Nig Nog next door.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to watch an episode , Too embarrasing. Didn't last more than 5 mins. OFF !

My memory of Alf was him complaining that he didn't like going abroad on holiday because "it was full of bloody foreigners"!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

Jingthing and others: a couple of things were left out due to editing but can be found on a YouTube search: "Curry and Chips" with Spike Milligan as an Irish/Pakistani and the unbelievable 1990 "Heil Honey I'm Home". Regards.

Just watched Hiel Honey I'm Home, brilliant, should have made more.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Merry Christmas to all my readers in Thailand and around the world.  

Rooster

Though I don’t always agree with you, I generally enjoy reading your exorbitantly long columns. I do, however feel like I’ve aged 4 years by the time I’ve finished reading them. 

Merry Christmas to you too!

dbath

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I referred to  Chinese man as a "Chinaman" and some people got upset because they thought it was derogatory .

It seems that the word "Chinaman" is a racially derogative and offensive name in the USA  whilst its perfectly acceptable to use in the U.K 

No doubt there are regional differences  In Latin America they tend to call all Asians chino and claim that isn't racist.

46 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't agree, kids instinctively attack anything even slightly different.

10 kids with black hair, 1 kid with blond hair ...... blondie will get bullied.

Not when the blonde hair kid is bigger than the rest. ????

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

How things have changed. Remember ' Love thy neighbour ' was it the '70s ?   He talked about the Nig Nog next door.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to watch an episode , Too embarrasing. Didn't last more than 5 mins. OFF !

I often watch that series on YT.  VERY funny!!!  Not embarrassing at all.  Times change......

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're wrong.  It depends on the context.

I agree with you on this. Perhaps some would prefer we say "that unwhite fellow over there" or "that fellow who is not white" rather than mentioning his actual skin color. All rather silly.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A few years ago in the UK, we use to refer to a Chinese meal as a "Chinky" but it certainly wasn't meant to be offensive!

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When is racist language racist language ?

I am pretty sure using the N word is not acceptable.

But can I say I know this black guy? Or should I say the colored guy or the guy of color or what?

And maybe one of those words was acceptable a few years ago and now it's not anymore because some fashion changed.

If I say: that f$# stupid n#$% over there then there is no question that that is racist.

But if I talk about that black guy over there (because maybe there are 10 white guys and that's the easiest way to identify that one person) then that is IMHO not racist. 

Take it easy and don't find problems if they don't exist.

I think black people should be proud to be called 'black'!  Calling black people 'coloured' or 'people of colour' is condescending and demeaning. Blame the liberals for that one. ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I agree with you on this. Perhaps some would prefer we say "that unwhite fellow over there" or "that fellow who is not white" rather than mentioning his actual skin color. All rather silly.  

No, you should describe people by the clothes they are wearing or a bag they are carrying or something or the knife or gun that they are carrying or something , describing a person by their skin colour is unacceptable these days 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The U.K had a boom period just after that .

The economy excelled and the U.K recovered from the previous Labour disaster from the late 1070's 

Was the Labour Party on the go just after the Battle of Hastings? ???? 

Edited by sambum
Emoticon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's your trip. I didn't mention any specific person.

I was obviously highlighting a wider very insidious very real phenomenon

https://newrepublic.com/article/159589/conservatives-systemic-racism-denial

The Right’s Farcical Denial of Systemic Racism

Conservatives simply ignore a vast amount of evidence documenting its existence.

Lately, right-wingers have been on something of a tear denying the existence of “systemic racism.” Harvard government professor Harvey Mansfield, writing on the conservative Wall Street Journal op-ed page, Andrew McCarthy in National Review, and Heather Mac Donald of the Manhattan Institute, all have argued that systemic racism is nothing but a term designed to lay a guilt trip on white people and also explain away the continuing failure of Black people to take responsibility for their own inadequacies.

????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wombat said:

Racism and stereotypes.....Golly gosh, do you mean racism as in 'you' are round eye farang and stereotypes as in sponsor me send money me?

I am not racist I am Australian,

I abuse everyone equally including myself 

Oooooh ! You can't use words like Golly  now ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, you should describe people by the clothes they are wearing or a bag they are carrying or something or the knife or gun that they are carrying or something , describing a person by their skin colour is unacceptable these days 

I do not think that would work will in identifying/describing someone to the police!  

• Like 2