Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

It’s flu season people. This is to be expected this time of year. Everything now is doom and gloom Covid this or that. I’d rather just take the Great vaccines, 555 and get on with life. They have been preaching to us for years about living each day as your last. Well what a boring end if they keep locking everyone up. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, we have a fully vaccinated population, and what appears to be a less pathological strain now. But there are many worried that may not be a foregone conclusion yet. 

The evidence suggests we have less to worry about regarding this strain than any other that has come before it. If however, as you suggest things turn out to be different then unfortunately its too late. The omicron variant is already in Thailand, and if whats been happening in other countries is anything to go by then these extra measures won't achieve anything. The 14 day quarantine and PCR tests didn't stop the less contagious beta variant, so why on earth do people think it will achieve anything with this more transmissible one?

One really shouldn't be too hard on this guy. Anutin is only proposing doing what other politicians of much greater education and sophistication are doing world wide. Last year Britain went into lockdown one week before Christmas and people were forbidden to entertain their loved ones on the most important holiday in the Christian calendar. The last restrictions were only lifted in July. That was seven months of legally enforced regulations unprecedented in peace time. People went along with it on the promise that it would be the last time. Yet now the usual experts are demanding that it is all put in place again; as if for some reason the outcome will be different this time. It does seem that world wide our masters have learned nothing and forgotten nothing.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Archie501 said:

The 14 day quarantine and PCR tests didn't stop the less contagious beta variant, so why on earth do people think it will achieve anything with this more transmissible one?

You completely ignore the reason for many restrictions, and that is to slow things down to a manageable level, rather than have services overwhelmed. 

I thought Australia had exhibited how this can work. 

55 minutes ago, Waynou said:

I have paid for my Test and go accommodation which is non-refundable for arrival in mid-January 

I suppose this is one way of boosting the economy..

Are you sure it is non-refundable under all circumstances? Canceling of T&G should certainly qualify.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would be fantastic if they would allow those of us who return and live here, who use the Test N Go, actually have our own place, to isolate at home if positive via the PCR test, and who show no symptoms.  I know the Insurance I have covers Covid, but I would rather isolate and rest in the confines of my own home, until I actually needed treatment, if I needed treatment.

This has been mentioned before, and the simple answer is people cannot be trusted to do that......

I expect it is the nature of the country we live in.... responsibility and consideration to others is not expected. 

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are you sure it is non-refundable under all circumstances? Canceling of T&G should certainly qualify.

Agree, but that would only cover a refund on the SHA hotel for a nights booking and PCR tests I think. If genuine tourists had paid out for other accommodation afterwards that will be a matter for the hotels or villas concerned I guess?

Edited by Bkk Brian

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

This has been mentioned before, and the simple answer is people cannot be trusted to do that......

I expect it is the nature of the country we live in.... responsibility and consideration to others is not expected. 

However, they were allowing it here in Bangkok when the hospitals were full.  People being sent home with the two medications and being monitored on-line, or did you miss that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, they were allowing it here in Bangkok when the hospitals were full.  People being sent home with the two medications and being monitored on-line, or did you miss that.

I recollect it, as you say hospitals at that time were getting full...but I could not figure out the criteria, some folks were also being shipped off to 'hospitals', or quarantine facilities outside of Bangkok too, You expect consistency?

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I recollect it, as you say hospitals at that time were getting full...but I could not figure out the criteria, some folks were also being shipped off to 'hospitals', or quarantine facilities outside of Bangkok too, You expect consistency?

Unfortunately I do understand your view. 

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The Sandbox 7 days is not quarantine. After the first PCR test result (assuming negative) you can go out & about as long as you don't leave the "Sandbox" province for 7 days and spend the nights in designated hotel.

From an epidemiological perspective it is hard to see why this would be much less risky than Test & Go..

Or than T & G would be if the day 5 ATK test was actuallly enforced/tracked which has not been being done..

Yes Sheryl, I agree with you and I know the Sandbox rules. However, going purely on the title of this thread - the proposal is to cancel Test & Go - there is nothing about the Sandbox Scheme.  Having said that, I have just contacted my hotel in Bangkok to ask if they will allow me to change packages and they will - but they commented that they were under the impression that its the Sandbox Scheme that's at risk of being cancelled so god knows? Just sit tight and hope.

I must be Naive. First I heard was 61 Passengers tersted positive in Holland on a flight from South Africa now we have dozens of passengers arriving in Thailand being tested positive on arrival. Clearly the countries that they are coming from couldn't care less about causing deaths and sickness.....what steps have other countries taken......Obviously these countries are not using test and go and even if they do it does not stop those vaccinated from carrying the virus. I am all for reopening the country for those who live here but all travel should be banned from any other country when possible.......this Phucket Sandbox test and go gives me nightmares. A passenger can show no symtoms and 4 days later has Covid or the new variant......Covid doesn't get into countries on its own it is brought in by tourists and the like.......but not one country has said close down everything so people have been dropping like flies.....Anyone who thinks things are getting better think again if this new variant gets a grip your vaccination without a booster apparently offers no protection against it and people are already going about like they are bombproof with no regard for those who cant be vaccinated. Sorry if I come a cross as a the end is Nigh character I jus worry for my family and friends like anyone else

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

So do Pipat and TAT still think they’re going to get their 300k tourists in January if this happens? ????

Or is it all just a clever ploy to save face for everyone?  There again, someone might actually be stupid enough to believe that because these people may have already paid for their flights, they will still come AND pay extra for the privilege of being locked up for a week or so? ????

and a lot extra at that.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would be fantastic if they would allow those of us who return and live here, who use the Test N Go, actually have our own place, to isolate at home if positive via the PCR test, and who show no symptoms.  I know the Insurance I have covers Covid, but I would rather isolate and rest in the confines of my own home, until I actually needed treatment, if I needed treatment.

Traveling on long flights and exposure in airports is a good reason why you might get through Test&Go while being infected. Maybe if you seriously self-isolated by not exposing others in your home your idea could work, but how many people would do the same? Keep your home well-ventilated and wear masks. Stay in your room alone. Pass food & beer through a window.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Archie501 said:

The evidence suggests we have less to worry about regarding this strain than any other that has come before it. If however, as you suggest things turn out to be different then unfortunately its too late. The omicron variant is already in Thailand, and if whats been happening in other countries is anything to go by then these extra measures won't achieve anything. The 14 day quarantine and PCR tests didn't stop the less contagious beta variant, so why on earth do people think it will achieve anything with this more transmissible one?

With dreadful Burma next door it is a big challenge to stop Omicron. Nonetheless, the idea is to slow the spread and get ready. Test&Go seems more like a fig leaf in the face of Omicron. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I agree with that. If they do plan to cancel Test & Go it would do far less harm to them and us, if they simply suspended new Test & Go Thailand Pass applications.

One thing I wonder, for those of us who really have to travel.  All I've seen at the moment is the possible cancellation of Test & Go - nothing about Sandbox entrants.  The African countries that were placed under new restrictions recently had to accept 14 day quarantine so we might also face the same.  I believe under the Sandbox programme, you only have to stay put for 7 days - that would be a lot more palatable for me. Have to wait and see if Test & Go is actually cancelled.

Logically the sandbox program prevents nothing.

When first started the big drive for sandbox was that Phuket was higly vaccinated ( 80% ) i believe, if this new variant infects even vaccinated people then the sandbox is surely redundant.

If they allow Sandbox there's no reason not to continue with 'Test and Go'.

It's inevitable IMO quarantine for all entires will return.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes Sheryl, I agree with you and I know the Sandbox rules. However, going purely on the title of this thread - the proposal is to cancel Test & Go - there is nothing about the Sandbox Scheme.  Having said that, I have just contacted my hotel in Bangkok to ask if they will allow me to change packages and they will - but they commented that they were under the impression that its the Sandbox Scheme that's at risk of being cancelled so god knows? Just sit tight and hope.

Actually, the proposal os to “make changes” to test and go 

• Like 1

Thairath just released this quote from Anutin saying that:

"Mr Anutin said that from now on, the remaining portions of the Test and Go and Thailand pass systems must be dealt with before adjusting the measures."

But I used Google translate.

Can someone proficient in Thai language please read this article and tell us if he intends to honor the Thailand passes already issued:

https://www.facebook.com/146406732438/posts/10161109598712439/

53 minutes ago, placnx said:

With dreadful Burma next door it is a big challenge to stop Omicron. Nonetheless, the idea is to slow the spread and get ready. Test&Go seems more like a fig leaf in the face of Omicron. 

I like your view. It is Burma to me as well, not Myanmar.  My GF is Ethnic Karen from up in the hills.  She refers to those and the country by their cultural heritage.  The government there has no leg up on the virus, and not much is being done for the non Burmese people except to wage war on them.  For her mother to get medical treatment at other than a clinic in the next village over they have to travel all the way down the hill to Myawaddy which is a tinder box right now.

• Thanks 1

What they could do very easily is just shorten the list of "low-risk" countries that qualify for the Test & Go scheme. The U.K. is surely at big risk of coming off that list !  The govt are meeting Friday is what I'm seeing. I'd love to know what time though !  in my case my plane arrives on Friday around midday, fingers crossed I don't land and only learn then that they've immediately implemented a change like that !

• Like 1