Do you believe that the main stream media is losing its influence?

peter zwart

16 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What were the offenses?  Didn't the guy with the spear get two years or something for not hurting anyone or breaking a thing?

There was never a charge that he hurt anyone and was not sentenced for that. He pleaded guilty in the District of Columbia on Sept. 3, 2021, to obstruction of an official proceeding. Why don't you know this already? Not reading the right media?

Edited by ozimoron

58 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

But riots that caused millions of dollars of damage and ended people's lives... it's OK to pretend those didn't happen and focus on the "obstruction of an official proceeding"?  You don't see that as problematic?

I do and I very very much doubt that anyone committing serious crimes were not apprehended at some point if they were identified. If you have some evidence that the police never tried to apprehend anyone who committed serious crimes please share it, otherwise it's just yet another right wing conspiracy theory.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

What you call riots I call protests against racist police departments. What you call ”obstruction of an official proceeding" I call a coup attempt from the highest levels of government.

If you're going to lie about what happened in both cases, there's not much I can discuss with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm clearly talking about the news reporting in the MSM.  This is not any kind of conspiracy, it's there for everyone to see.

I doubt that you read the MSM and I certainly haven't seen any news proving that the police declined to investigate or prosecute serious crime and that's why I asked you to prove it. Again, you have failed to do so. No credibility for your claims unless you do so, just politically motivated propaganda perpetrated by the likes of Fox and Newsmax and eagerly lapped up by the sheeple. It defies common sense that the police would not investigate or charge serious crime yet it seems widely believed. What a crock.

This link shows that plenty of BLM protesters did face charges but many were wrongfully arrested.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/19/us/protests-lawsuits-arrests.html

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

I don't watch Fox News and I am factually correct.

The FBI and police have arrested quite a few right wing extremists infiltrating the BLM protests. 
The mayhem they caused was exploited & broadcast on right wing media to agitate Trump supporters. 

A Texas man pleaded guilty to a federal riot charge, and admitted he traveled to Minneapolis after George Floyd died to sow mayhem.

Ivan Harrison Hunter, 24, admitted he traveled from the San Antonio area to Minneapolis after Floyd’s death and fired 13 shots from an AK-47 style semiautomatic rifle into the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct building on May 28, 2020.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What were the offenses?  Didn't the guy with the spear get two years or something for not hurting anyone or breaking a thing?

Miller is also the Trump supporter who threatened to assassinate Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), saying on social media that "next time" he would "bring the guns.

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-judge-rejects-capitol-attacker/

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Can always spot the Fox viewers in the comments.

Could be OAN, Newsmax, Alex Jones, etc. For some Fox isn't far right wing crazy enough anymore but they have clawed their way back with that Tucker Carlson abomination.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Could be OAN, Newsmax, Alex Jones, etc. For some Fox isn't far right wing crazy enough anymore but they have clawed their way back with that Tucker Carlson abomination.

Fox News has become toxic. Carlson isn't the worst wack job on Fox this week.

Speaking at a Turning Point USA conference this week, Watters told the attendees: ...

"Now you go in for the kill shot," Watters added moments later. "The kill shot with an ambush, deadly, because he doesn't see it coming. This is when you say. Dr. Fauci, you funded risky research at a sloppy Chinese lab, the same lab that sprung this pandemic on the world. You know why people don't trust you, don't you? Oh, he is dead. He's dead. He's done. Now you do that in 30 seconds. So you need 30 seconds. Now you get that footage to us. You get it to Fox."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fox News has become toxic. Carlson isn't the worst wack job on Fox this week.

Speaking at a Turning Point USA conference this week, Watters told the attendees: ...

"Now you go in for the kill shot," Watters added moments later. "The kill shot with an ambush, deadly, because he doesn't see it coming. This is when you say. Dr. Fauci, you funded risky research at a sloppy Chinese lab, the same lab that sprung this pandemic on the world. You know why people don't trust you, don't you? Oh, he is dead. He's dead. He's done. Now you do that in 30 seconds. So you need 30 seconds. Now you get that footage to us. You get it to Fox."

Yeah but he's more of a clown show. People take Carlson much more seriously even as a potential presidential candidate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

But riots that caused millions of dollars of damage and ended people's lives... it's OK to pretend those didn't happen and focus on the "obstruction of an official proceeding"?  You don't see that as problematic?

24 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I never made such a claim.  Your reading comprehension is poor.

You claimed that the BLM rioters committed serious crimes and implied that the MSM and police ignored those. The MSM would have reported any that were charged except for your conspiracy theory.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You claimed that the BLM rioters committed serious crimes and implied that the MSM and police ignored those.

As I said, poor reading comprehension.  That or straight out lying?

I claimed that MSM largely ignored the BLM riots while repeatedly reporting on the "insurrection", which they have.

• Like 1

As I said, poor reading comprehension.  That or straight out lying?

I claimed that MSM largely ignored the BLM riots while repeatedly reporting on the "insurrection", which they have.

One is largely peaceful protesting, the other is an insurrection involving forcible entry to the Capitol building with the intention to disrupt a constitutionally mandated procedure of government during which many police officers were either injured or killed. For the MSM and everyone except those who would rather bury the story, the former is a transitory newsworthy item while the latter is a huge deal which is sending many to jail and will have huge political ramifications for years to come. It is of great interest to most people and obviously a big story. Don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Mainstream media is no longer about "journalism" the way it used be be in the days of TRUE journalists like Walter Cronkite.  Instead, today main stream media is really nothing but politically biased commentary.  Either it is strongly left-leaning in the case of CNN, or strongly right leaning in the case of Fox.  Neither are really a source for unbiased "news".

Much of what is "reported" on mainstream media these days is unsubstantiated or out-of-context cherry-picked facts, and often deliberate misinformation designed to support a biased narrative.  It pretty much has become the classic definition of propaganda.

Today, you really have to do your own research, and then make up your own mind, instead of simply relying on a biased third party to tell you what to think.  It's certainly not an easy task but if you really want the truth, that what you must do IMHO.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Mainstream media is no longer about "journalism" the way it used be be in the days of TRUE journalists like Walter Cronkite.  Instead, today main stream media is really nothing but politically biased commentary.  Either it is strongly left-leaning in the case of CNN, or strongly right leaning in the case of Fox.  Neither are really a source for unbiased "news".

Today, you really have to do your own research, and then make up your own mind, instead of simply relying on a biased third party to tell you what to think.  It's certainly not an easy task but if you really want the truth, that what you must do IMHO.

It's not the bias that's the problem. It's really the veracity of what's being said. Discerning readers can deal with bias but they can't easily separate truth from lies. In this respect Fox is particularly egregious. CNN is biased for sure but what they say is overwhelmingly true and checkable. When it's not, CNN and MSNBC retract stories with a mea culpa, Fox never does.

The right wing like to tell people to do their own research which is code for ignore the press but they don't define what that means. It's just a slogan. Nobody would even know what the issues were or what they should research if they didn't read current affairs. If you take an interest in current affairs or politics then there's no escaping the media.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's not the bias that's the problem. It's really the veracity of what's being said. Discerning readers can deal with bias but they can't easily separate truth from lies. In this respect Fox is particularly egregious. CNN is biased for sure but what they say is overwhelmingly true and checkable. When it's not, CNN and MSNBC retract stories with a mea culpa, Fox never does.

I disagree with you about CNN and MSNBC.  In my opinion they are two of the worst offenders for intentionally misinforming the public of the truth, and I can't count the number of times they have been proven to have done this, and I can not recall a single time they have ever retracted a report that has been proven to be wrong.  In my opinion, they are two of the worst, and their ratings are now starting to prove how mistrusted they have become.  

All the networks have become mistrusted over the last year as evidenced by ratings.  CNN experienced the most dramatic decline, dropping 77 percent from one year ago in prime, followed by MSNBC (down 59 percent).  Fox did not fare much better with a 35 percent drop.  Those numbers are HUGE and they are very telling of public sentiment! 

Ratings are not biased left or right. They are proof that the public is fast losing trust in mainstream media for telling the truth.

Edited by WaveHunter

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I disagree with you about CNN and MSNBC.  In my opinion they are two of the worst offenders for intentionally misinforming the public of the truth, and I can't count the number of times they have been proven to have done this, and I can not recall a single time they have ever retracted a report that has been proven to be wrong.  In my opinion, they are two of the worst, and their ratings are now starting to prove how mistrusted they have become.  

All the networks have become mistrusted over the last year as evidenced by ratings but CNN experienced the most dramatic decline, dropping 77 percent from one year ago in prime, followed by MSNBC (down 59 percent).  That is all a result of lack of trust by the public.

Any examples of lies they reported? Polls aren't an indicator of veracity. Why has Fox News been sued for $1.6B for defamation by Smartmatic?

You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

https://www.snopes.com/tag/tucker-carlson/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

All the networks have become mistrusted over the last year as evidenced by ratings but CNN experienced the most dramatic decline, dropping 77 percent from one year ago in prime, followed by MSNBC (down 59 percent).  Those numbers are HUGE!  That is all a result of lack of trust by the public.

Nonsense. CNN, MSNBC, ABC, etc have lower ratings because the educated demographic get their info from a dozen or more sources (its called fact checking)  while FOX has huge ratings because a large percentage of Republicans will only watch Fox. They don't want to hear the facts.

That's why, in the comment section here and on social media, one can easily spot the Fox viewers because they dwell in an alternative reality of fake news. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Any examples of lies they reported? Polls aren't an indicator of veracity. Why has Fox News been sued for $1.6B for defamation by Dominion?

You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

As i said before, I am no fan of Fox, or any of the other networks.  My point is that THEY ARE ALL GUILTY of not reporting the news but rather only making commentary disguised as the news.

In the last year, the public has began to react to being continually lied to by these commentators disguised as journalist. 

ALL of the networks have become mistrusted over the last year as evidenced by ratings.  CNN experienced the most dramatic decline, dropping 77 percent from one year ago in prime, followed by MSNBC (down 59 percent).  Fox did not fare much better with a 35 percent drop.  Those numbers are HUGE and they are very telling of public sentiment! 

Ratings are not biased left or right. They are proof that the public has had enough of the Bullsh*t.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As i said before, I am no fan of Fox, or any of the other networks.  My point is that they all are guilty of not reporting the news but rather only making commentary disguised as the news.

In the last year, the public has began to react to being continually being lied to.  All the networks have become mistrusted over the last year as evidenced by ratings but CNN experienced the most dramatic decline, dropping 77 percent from one year ago in prime, followed by MSNBC (down 59 percent).  In all fairness, Fox did not fare much better with a 35 percent drop.  Those numbers are HUGE

Ratings are not biased left or right. They are proof that the public has had enough of the Bullsh*t

I don't watch any TV except occasionally when I'm visiting my mate for coffee, maybe half an hour a day. We flick through Al Jazeera, BBC, France24, MSNBC and CNN in that order to see if there's anything interesting on. That is, if there's no cricket or formula 1 on. I tend to get my news from news media websites.