British man chased by Thai with a knife after he refuses to buy him a beer

webfact

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Thanks, I didn't walk in Brazilian cities, but I don't think Lower Sukhumvit is so dangerous that you need to go everywhere by Taxi. Please don't tell me I am lacking in common sense when I live in that area and go about my business there every day and have for decades- almost entirely, but not completely without incident. I have seen far more violence in quaint English market towns.

Then I guess we agree, same with me, seen far more violence by tourists in Spain, than any other places I have visited so far in my life. One nationality was more involved there as well, without mention their colours. Not always popular on this fora

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There is something called common sense? 

When in any bigger cities, you do not walk home, you take a taxi, especially if you have to pass curtain areas! Right?

When I was In Brazil, I was explained very detailed and carefully where to walk and not to walk, and guess what? Those who got robbed and mugged did not pay attention to the warnings.

If you do not want to be approached by beggars, take taxi home! 

Seems you take this thread a little bit to seriously, but there is good advises coming with it.

There is a difference between begging and mugging! But neither are problems here in Thailand not compared to Europe North Africa or Asia or the Caribbean etc etc.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There is a difference between begging and mugging! But neither are problems here in Thailand not compared to Europe North Africa or Asia or the Caribbean etc etc.

It is more a problem Thai against Thai, than Thai against westerners, I can't speak for Cambodian, Burmese or any other groups. As far I'm aware, as you said not a problem here for us, unless to drunk, tell Thais to delet off, start arguing about the bill, behave bad against bar ladies or lady boys. 

55 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So never for shops, which is what is being discussed here. 

Shops can't 'serve' alcohol either. They can 'sell' it, but if you read the article the foreigner was drinking with friends in the premises of the shop.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HexTree said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So never for shops, which is what is being discussed here. 

Shops can't 'serve' alcohol either. They can 'sell' it, but if you read the article the foreigner was drinking with friends in the premises of the shop.

No the article does not say that he was drinking "in the shop"!  Read the article. 

The video also shows, very clearly, that he was not drinking in the shop.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No the article does not say that he was drinking "in the shop"!  Read the article. 

"it was stated that the man approached a group of Thais and the foreigner drinking at a shop in Phraeksa Soi 10, Muang Samut Prakan, south east of the Thai capital Bangkok."

Don't know what else to tell you. These are the details that were present in the discussion. If there is a better source out there which disputes that, so be it, but we were just going off the information stated.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HexTree said:

"it was stated that the man approached a group of Thais and the foreigner drinking at a shop in Phraeksa Soi 10, Muang Samut Prakan, south east of the Thai capital Bangkok."

Don't know what else to tell you. These are the details that were present in the discussion. If there is a better source out there which disputes that, so be it, but we were just going off the information stated.

'at a shop' not 'in a shop'

29 minutes ago, HexTree said:

Exactly, those are the details!   The OP stated "at the shop", you've been posting that he was drinking "in the shop"...he wasn't, so the shop wasn't "serving him alcohol" in the manner that you claimed.

6 minutes ago, HexTree said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

you've been posting that he was drinking "in the shop"

Again, I never once said "in the shop", I don't know why you keep claiming that.

Really?

51 minutes ago, HexTree said:

You're HexTree, yes?...

"...the foreigner was drinking with friends in the premises of the shop.

2 minutes ago, HexTree said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're HexTree, yes?...

"...the foreigner was drinking with friends in the premises of the shop.

That's what I said, yes. Do you understand what the word premises means?

Yes, I do.  Do you understand the meaning of the words "in" and "at"?

If I had the inclination, I could drink outside a 7-11 and I would be at the premises, not in the premises, which suggests "inside"!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I do.  Do you understand the meaning of the words "in" and "at"?

'In the premises of the shop' is just another way of saying 'at the shop'. Apologies for not using the the EXACT phrasing of the article, I didn't recall it from memory, and I didn't really expect posters to obsess to this extent over insignificant details. Either way, what I said was grammatically correct, and the meaning was clear from the context.

Edited by HexTree

21 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

Thais do not start trouble without a reason . This is not some primitive place like the  UK where people attack each other with violence just for recreation .

Ya Thais never get jealous and kill girls, road rage or even hurt kids. They are far too advanced for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only times someone has tried to start a fight with me in Thailand ,the aggressor has been a drunken farang!

Both times were in bars inside and the bar staff got rid of the idiots in question (neither of whom were fellow Brits).

Personally I wouldn't drink outside the local 7eleven which seems to be a venue for alcoholics.

6 minutes ago, Hammerite said:

The only times someone has tried to start a fight with me in Thailand ,the aggressor has been a drunken farang!

Both times were in bars inside and the bar staff got rid of the idiots in question (neither of whom were fellow Brits).

Personally I wouldn't drink outside the local 7eleven which seems to be a venue for alcoholics.

yes ....those 7-11's can be quite dangerous so best you avoid them if possible.

It does happen, whether it's happened to you or not.

Recently, I was confronted at a vegetable stall at 8am at the Wednesday market. I'm in shorts and t-shirt buying carrots and potatoes when a guy comes up and says "10 baht!". Well I was paying already and had 200 baht in my wallet, so I made a show of opening my crappy wallet so he could see I had nothing but 2 x 100 baht notes, no cards or anything. He then says "50 baht!" as I get my 80 baht change. So I say "I do more shopping, no baht". Bear in mind, he's dressed quite well, pencil moustache, jacket and long collared shirt with rolled up cuffs to show his crappy gold watch. I'm probably 6 inches taller than him and I keep fit, I could flatten him easily in a fair fight. The only thing I had of value was my Garmin watch with an obviously broken screen. I  say goodbye and leave. He proceeds to follow me around the market and I did the Thai thing and avoided him but I needed to be on the other side of the market and it became very obvious, as I was zigzagging through stalls and he was doing exactly the same. So just as I got to the last stall I was buying some curry paste from, I turned around and did the very British thing, stared him down and told him to "<deleted> OFF" in a very aggressive manner. He did. The ladies asked me what's wrong (as I know them for a few years)  and I told them. One sent her husband off after him, whether to tell an official or confront him - I don't know.

Now, I don't know what his intentions were but they were obviously not good and we have quite a few elderly farangs here.  So I mentioned it to my Thai landlord straight away and he came to pick me up to go back to the market to find him. Apparently, another elderly farang had been accosted at the 7/11 by someone similar a few days before. We couldn't find him, unfortunately. I live in a non-tourist area, so it is quite unheard of but it does happen.

A good few years back I was in Chiang Mai. I was sat opposite a bar with a pool table and we'd just been in there ourselves. A big German guy who arrived that day was playing an English guy and the German won and put the cue over his head and celebrated. He was funny and just having a laugh, we'd been in with him earlier and he was playing "German stays on" as he was very good and he was challenging different nationalities. He came out to shout over to us that he'd beaten another Brit - when about 8 Thais set on him. Now, they were literally taking it in turns using his head as a football and nobody was doing anything to stop it - so I had to go over and tell them to "stop, you're going to kill him - police coming!". Luckily they did and left so there was no confrontation but I'd been warned already of getting involved and I really didn't want to.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 1:18 AM, robblok said:

Respecting Thai culture, so what would you have done buy him a beer ? Do you consider that Thai culture to give in demands of a complete stranger. I doubt it though one of the Thais did want to pay for him but that is not culture but a wish to prevent trouble.

No I would not have bought him a beer but there is a reason for everything times do not attack someone for no reason they are not like the English. Drunken English thugs will beat someone up for fun. That does not happen in Thailand.

• 4 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, PhineusFreek said:

Wat did you do to get that? I never had any trouble like that in Thailand 20 years . Always respect people even when im Kee Mao

"Good Samaritan"....Teens,4 or 5 beating 1 on the ground,told them to stop & go home,sun num naa me! 

• Confused 1