Police Checkpoints in Pattaya

dsmiththailand

On 12/24/2021 at 7:48 AM, jacko45k said:

Yes of course and that seems to work very well..... it is just those absent minded actions like taking a left turn on a red light (someone often beeps you from behind!), or simply pulling up that little bit too far forward over the naughty line. 

Or absent minded having a few beers and ending up in the wrong lane or driving  over the marker line at traffic lights.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Or absent minded having a few beers and ending up in the wrong lane or driving  over the marker line at traffic lights.

I don't drink and drive anywhere near town. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just got stopped on 3rd road before Klang heading North, first time they asked for copy of green book, may of been because i had thai licence on the phone app anyway they accepted phone green book copy, he reckons need to carry one

Got one under the seat but, as you say, not been asked for for many years. 

• Like 1

My mate got stopped at checkpoint yesterday at the underpass end of 3rd road (Thrapaya ) 1pm........he had drank 1 large Leo in Soi Bourkhao.........blew 55...........choice night in Soi 9 and court or 20k baht spot fine, his girl got it down to 10k which he paid

So just be careful , you dont have to drunk to fail the test.................bet there are a few here who have thought one beer whats the harm.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

My mate got stopped at checkpoint yesterday at the underpass end of 3rd road (Thrapaya ) 1pm........he had drank 1 large Leo in Soi Bourkhao.........blew 55...........choice night in Soi 9 and court or 20k baht spot fine, his girl got it down to 10k which he paid

So just be careful , you dont have to drunk to fail the test.................bet there are a few here who have thought one beer whats the harm.

Yes i think limit is 1-2 small ones from memory, very unusual them testing daytime

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes i think limit is 1-2 small ones from memory, very unusual them testing daytime

Yes i thought that but when he rang me about 1.30pm he was with the police awaiting his girls arrival with the 10k...........first thing they asked him was " you drink beer"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Yes i thought that but when he rang me about 1.30pm he was with the police awaiting his girls arrival with the 10k...........first thing they asked him was " you drink beer"

Suppose his beer belly wont of helped................lol

Edited by thaiflyer1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Someone posted that checkpoint yesterday, joining those Line groups can help save unwanted drama.

image0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

where is the underpass please ?

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just got stopped by 2nd road checkpoint, they really don't like it when you use the licence app, they reluctantly accept it

I haven't used or seen the licence app. Why wouldn't the police like it? Do they think it could be forged? Did they hassle you for anything else? 

27 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I haven't used or seen the licence app. Why wouldn't the police like it? Do they think it could be forged? Did they hassle you for anything else? 

They are never happy when you produce the plastic licence because it stops tea money, i reckon they don't like new tech which blocks tea money, some people forget the plastic licence.

Straight after he said "papers" in an annoyed voice then just changed his mind and waved me off, rarely a thankyou from that lot

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They are never happy when you produce the plastic licence because it stops tea money, i reckon they don't like new tech which blocks tea money, some people forget the plastic licence.

Straight after he said "papers" in an annoyed voice then just changed his mind and waved me off, rarely a thankyou from that lot

I agree, when they figured you didn't have a plastic licence with you they saw the money coming. The use of the online licence defeated that and was likely not expected. 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

he had drank 1 large Leo

Large Leo is 2 drinks for the purposes of assessing alcohol levels. Same as a double vodka/sangsom/whatever.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:33 AM, thaiflyer1 said:

test.................bet there are a few here who have thought one beer whats the harm.

There's a difference between thinking "what's the harm" and thinking "I could pass a breath test". Anybody confident, in this age of education and information availablity, about being able to pass a breath test after a large bottle of beer probably has far bigger issues in life to worry about anyway.

Of course then there's the whole "I've only had a few/I know my limits" guys who, while more informed (they know they are over the limit and do all they can to avoid police checkpoints), are potentially more dangerous.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Large Leo is 2 drinks for the purposes of assessing alcohol levels. Same as a double vodka/sangsom/whatever.

It  is of course 620ml at 5% alcohol. For many Western countries, 5% would be a strong beer.