Extreme Air Pollution

Banana7

22 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yep been pretty smokey/smoggy here past few days. Couple mornings could even smell it. The wonderful, wealthy Thai tourist attractions just keep beckoning the billionaires! :cheesy:

I can smell burning an hour or two after sunset..... 

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No I don't believe so in my area, we have quite a lot of cultivated fields. 

Indeed you are likely right and that is always an issue - and even more so under current economic conditions - burn is the cheap solution so without law enforcement or incentives even those knowing better are unlikely to be able to limit and everyone suffers.  And as the recent typhoon in PI attests it is likely a worldwide issue.  

54 minutes ago, ed79 said:

Here's my indoor readings for the past 6 weeks or so.  Gaps the graph is because the stupid thing keeps turning itself off...

pattaya aqi.PNG

Think you should invest in some air purifiers.  Can highly recommend Xiami's.  I have 2 and bought my daughter one for her condo in BKK

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Think you should invest in some air purifiers.  Can highly recommend Xiami's.  I have 2 and bought my daughter one for her condo in BKK

That was actually one of the first things I planned to buy when I moved here.  I held off though as looking at the historical data the worst is usually over by some time in Feb anyway. Chonburi, Thailand Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (aqicn.org)

1 minute ago, ed79 said:

That was actually one of the first things I planned to buy when I moved here.  I held off though as looking at the historical data the worst is usually over by some time in Feb anyway. Chonburi, Thailand Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index (aqicn.org)

don't think so.  Usually runs from Dec to 1st rains, May or late April.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

don't think so.  Usually runs from Dec to 1st rains, May or late April.

I was just basing that on the last 2 years where most of the orange and red is gone by March.  Personally anything under 100 I'm not bothered about.  Even in fairly rural UK I'd generally get readings between about 30 and 80.

Also I don't like spending money ????

If I were in Chiang Mai it'd be a different story.

aqi2.PNG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

AQI of 12 currently in my place in Australia right now. Makes me feel slightly better about being stranded in the most boring country in the world for the next few years.

I did get a "1" on mine once, then it changed its mind and said 20.  There are days when it hoovers around 4 or 5.

Of course any cooking involving frying freaks it out.

And surprisingly, cheap toilet cleaning gel.  I was in Vietnam and out of nowhere it went up to 350.  I couldn't smell anything, looked out the window, no smoke anywhere.  Went wandering round the apartment eventually into the toilet where I'd squirted a Vietnam own-brand version of toilet duck.  Reading shot up to 500 which is basically as high as it goes.

I don't know what they put in that stuff but it probably wasn't too healthy.

• Haha 2