ThaiHealth launches New Year road safety campaign

snoop1130

9b7e37affcd232a104c66ff14b3a21a8_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai Health Promotion Foundation is encouraging the general public not to drive while under the influence of alcohol this holiday season, during which many are expected to drive back to their hometown. This year’s road safety campaign is aimed to help bring down accident numbers.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth) has joined hands with partner agencies to promote road safety and the Drink Don’t Drive campaign for road travels in this year’s holiday season.

The New Year holiday is one of the two major periods where most road accidents are reported in Thailand, with the other being the Thai New Year or Songkran holidays, during which many people travel back to their hometown or on vacation.

Mr. Phrommin Kanthiya, Director of the Accident Reduction Network Office, said cases of road accidents found among people with high blood alcohol levels during the 2021 New Year holiday period was 17% higher than there the previous year, with a total of 5,387 injuries and deaths reported.

He has urged for the authorities to become more stringent on alcohol sales regulation, place more checkpoints, increase their monitoring of high-risk behaviors, and prevent people under influence from using the road.

For this year’s holiday season, ThaiHealth and partner agencies aim to help promote road safety through the reduction of high-risk behaviors, which also include speeding and not wearing helmets. Together with law enforcement, the foundation also hopes to help promote a safety-focused environment and society.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation is encouraging the general public not to drive while under the influence of alcohol this holiday season, during which many are expected to drive back to their hometown. This year’s road safety campaign is aimed to help bring down accident numbers.

Yep that'll work.

• Like 2

We have been travelling to Chanthaburi, Trat and back via Rayong this past week.  A lot of back small roads.

The number of Thais who overtake on blind corners and uphill when they can’t see what’s coming astounds me.

They must all be wearing protective amulets because I have no idea how they avoid major accidents. Drunk or high or both there is no way a sober driver acts like that.  Then again I am talking about Thais.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Thai Health Promotion Foundation is encouraging the general public not to drive while under the influence of alcohol this holiday season, during which many are expected to drive back to their hometown. This year’s road safety campaign is aimed to help bring down accident numbers.

There is only one way to discourage these Morons from Drink Driving.

Drink Drive 25,000 Baht Fine

Second offence within 10 Years 50,000 Baht fine, plus a Prison sentence of 1 Year

Maybe then the message will finally get home to these Ignorant and Selfish Idiots.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Start with 100 points , DUI not worried , 30 points , still have

70 points left, that's how serious they are about  stopping

DUI.

Regards Worgeordie

Has this points system started yet please?

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Has this points system started yet please?

It has been reported by December , but been Thailand could be delayed ...????,

you can get the points back again if you do 2 hours training (watching videos ?)

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It has been reported by December , but been Thailand could be delayed ...????,

you can get the points back again if you do 2 hours training (watching videos ?)

regards Worgeordie

So three pi55ed up convictions, a video in Thai, and that's it.

I wonder if your insurance goes up, if you have some! 

On 12/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, Cake Monster said:

There is only one way to discourage these Morons from Drink Driving.

Drink Drive 25,000 Baht Fine

Second offence within 10 Years 50,000 Baht fine, plus a Prison sentence of 1 Year

Maybe then the message will finally get home to these Ignorant and Selfish Idiots.

What, you think I'm going to walk home after a few beers? That's not why I live in Thailand.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, lujanit said:

We have been travelling to Chanthaburi, Trat and back via Rayong this past week.  A lot of back small roads.

The number of Thais who overtake on blind corners and uphill when they can’t see what’s coming astounds me.

They must all be wearing protective amulets because I have no idea how they avoid major accidents. Drunk or high or both there is no way a sober driver acts like that.  Then again I am talking about Thais.

Same in all backward fatalistic cultures. Experienced same suicidal road actions in Arab countries over many years. They don’t use motorbikes at all otherwise road deaths up there with here..will never change until society modernization….. so never then ….

Witnessed a guy that was completely bladdered get into a pickup on Christmas Eve, then proceed to drive at 10 to 20kph for about two kilometres in the opposite lane before hitting a tree and coming to a complete stop.

It's a national disgrace but they don't have the wherewithal or the determination to do what is necessary to solve it.

On 12/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, crouchpeter said:

What, you think I'm going to walk home after a few beers? That's not why I live in Thailand.

Unless you live rural there are alternatives. 

Fortunately for me, the Mrs has given up having a drink with meals, so she can help out.