New Bank Account

I' trying to open a bank account. I was just turned down by GSB despite having an old account with them which has become defunct as I haven't used it for some time. They said I either needed my name on a house book which I don't have  or to be married which I am not. I also have just arrived back in LOS and am on a tourist visa (to be converted). The only official Thai document I have with my name on are my children's birth certificates. Any suggestions where I can open an account? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can get a residence certificate from immigration and some banks will open an account for you with that. Try Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn. Or if you're lazy and just want a sure thing, there are some agents that will take you to a farang friendly bank and do everything for you for a fee. 

Good suggestion. I would suggest trying different banks until one accepts you. Also it seems easier in Pattaya. I opened my own yellow bank account years ago in Pattaya with a tourist visa and a hotel address. The green bank offered to open an account but I balked at the insurance charge, silly me. My agent open a Bangkok Bank account for dealing with the IO. The office is next door. If the OP wants to avoid tramping round in the heat and shuffling papers find a good agent and get their help in all matters.

• Like 1

If you call the GSB contact center they will tell you that you can open an account with just a long-stay "visa" and a residence cert from Immigration.

So if you have the visa, go get the cert, go to GSB. When they say No, get the call center on the phone, tell them you're in the branch, and hand the phone to the bank clerk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can get a residence certificate from immigration and some banks will open an account for you with that. Try Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn. Or if you're lazy and just want a sure thing, there are some agents that will take you to a farang friendly bank and do everything for you for a fee. 

For residence certificate from immigration, need to show 90-day report. This is very first thing they ask to see. No 90-day report...no residence certificate.

Can be obtained same day from embassy of home country (at 10x the price). US embassy $50 for notary service affirmation of residence.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Buriram immigration will issue a resident certificate for a few hundred bahts even on a tourist visa. No 90 days report needed there.

Not BKK. Just another example of inconsistency in Land of Inconsistencies. From 2 different sources and my personal experience learning the hard way few years back at CW.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/residence-certificate-thailand

Please note: To get a residence certification you need to be doing 90-day reports to immigration.

https://tdl-service.com/thai-residence-certificate-in-bangkok/

We recommend to get the certificate at the embassy representing your home country.

You should choose this option if you want to accelerate the process. Also if you haven´t done your first 90 day report, then you must choose this option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigz said:

Buriram immigration will issue a resident certificate for a few hundred bahts even on a tourist visa. No 90 days report needed there.

Of course Buriram is the way it should be everywhere. 90-day Report has absolutely NOTHING to do with residence certificate. Of course I know you get this, but to elaborate (and vent)....

I had lived at this same address in BKK with rental contract and 3 consecutive retirement extensions and provided the silly required hand drawn map (555). Good enough for 3 retirement extensions, but not good for residence certificate. Never did 90-day because always exited Thailand before 90 days. Upon returning every time to the same address which was also reported on landing card TM 6 and filed formerly required TM30 every time. Still would not provide residence certificate because no 90-day. Absolutely ridiculous and just another example of ridiculous in Land of Ridiculous. 

Thanks for listening. I feel better now. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Tourists does not need a bank account. 

Get the proper visa. 

Then you will able to open a bank account. 

If you know how it works you know its a process of months getting the right visa, I could have done with the account now!

On 12/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, cliveuk said:

I' trying to open a bank account. I was just turned down by GSB despite having an old account

I have found that the various banks have  "rule du jour" Not only does it change daily but it changes depending on who you talk to at that particular bank. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I have found that the various banks have  "rule du jour" Not only does it change daily but it changes depending on who you talk to at that particular bank. 

True but not only banks. Almost EVERYTHING here, especially immigration offices. Land of Inconsistent. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

Get the proper visa. 

Then you will able to open a bank account. 

But enter with a tourist visa and then change to Non-O is a valid way!
So there should be a way to open a bank account with a tourist visa.

I would try K-Bank or Bangkokbank. Or actually try every bank you can find! One will allow you to open an account.

18 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Myself and 3 or 4 other guys I know have all done over 150 trips each to Thailand this last 30 years plus, why on earth shouldn't we have a bank account ??

All of us on Tourist Visas at best.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Moral of the story as many old hands will tell you is dont let an existing account get closed from lack of activity especially if balance is below the annual fee for the debit card

I always once a year churn a little money in and out

Yes I have learnt that the hard way!

20 hours ago, HampiK said:

But enter with a tourist visa and then change to Non-O is a valid way!
So there should be a way to open a bank account with a tourist visa.

I would try K-Bank or Bangkokbank. Or actually try every bank you can find! One will allow you to open an account.

Yes but its all so Boring! Que...wait etc!

• 3 weeks later...