Omicron is here is it time to get boosted?

yogi yogi

Brazil reels as Omicron spreads

Brazil is suffering a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases as the Omicron variant spreads through the country, putting pressure on health services and weighing on an already sputtering economy.

Epidemiologists hope a successful vaccination campaign, which has seen 67% of the population fully inoculated, will dent the impact of the current wave of infections.

But as demand rises for health services, hospitals are also being hit by staff shortages as doctors and nurses self-isolate after testing positive.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-reels-omicron-spreads-weighing-hospitals-economy-2022-01-14/

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

The definition of vaccine has been changing ever since the word was coined. Etymologically its roots derive from the latin for cattle. That's because the vaccine consisted of pus infected with cowpox. And that's what it originally meant - cowpox pus. The recent change was due to the fact that the definition could be construed to mean that vaccines conferred sterilizing immunity. But there are many vaccines such as the flu vaccines, the shingles vaccines, the HPV vaccines and others that don't confer anything close to sterilizing immunity .(And, as the science progresses, the whole premise that there is such a thing as sterilizing immunity is increasingly open to question.) But no one had a problem with calling them vaccines back when. It's only due to willful ignorance at this juncture, ignorance mostly inspired by ideology, that anyone can maintain that mRNA vaccines, which trigger both the antibody immune system and the T-Cell immune system, somehow aren't vaccines. Such nonsense.  

• Like 2

Update from Denmark week 1 statistics.

We're still one of the countries that test most per 1000 pop, so numbers could maybe be the same in other countries.

The omicron BA2 mutation is rising pretty fast here.

Week 1

68% positives were omicron BA1 variant.

28% were omicron BA2 mutation

4% were Delta.

The BA2 mutation in week 50 were 2% of the total cases so looks like it might take over if the spreading continues.

They don't know if that is worrying or not yet.

When i look at the admissions to hospitals last week at different sites it's approx 15% that were admitted with Delta and 85% omicron.

Very few boosted people were admitted in hospitals with omicron, so seems like it's still a good idea to get a booster.

And delta is not gone so....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cooked said:

So it's just a coincidence that that happened now? Whatever it is, it hasn't been thoroughly tested either, despite what Facebook claims. What test results there are are being withheld, "will be released in 75 years" Court case going on about that.

No, it's not a coincidence. It was done to deal with the ridiculous assertions that mRNA vaccines aren't really vaccines. As I pointed out, if the objections to mRNA vaccines were valid. that would apply to lots of other vaccines as well. The real question is why suddenly are objections arising to the new definition of vaccines, but not before?

And, no, test results aren't being withheld for 75 years. The FDA said it would start releasing all the Pfizer documents immediately Just at a slow pace. And it's not just test results that are being requested. That's just a small part of the request. Why don't you know that? What garbage web sites do you get your information from?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

phizer says by march they will have a omicron specific booster ready but that would mean delivery to thailand would be august?  i think i wait to get boosted until an updated booster is available,  or at the very least until omicron hits thailand badly . but at the rate this variant is scouring the earth . this might happen quickly.  wear your mask .  

Edited by yogi yogi

1 hour ago, yogi yogi said:

phizer says by march they will have a omicron specific booster ready but that would mean delivery to thailand would be august?  i think i wait to get boosted until an updated booster is available,  or at the very least until omicron hits thailand badly . but at the rate this variant is scouring the earth . this might happen quickly.  wear your mask .  

The way things are going, everyone will have been exposed to Omicron before their updated booster gets here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan754326 said:

The way things are going, everyone will have been exposed to Oth micron before their updated booster gets here. 

the pharma companys know this and will come up with a one shot fits all booster for all upcoming variants

23 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

the pharma companys know this and will come up with a one shot fits all booster for all upcoming variants

From what I’ve read, it looks like being infected by Omicron gives wide ranging immunity to other variants, so I would think that immunity would mostly extend to newer variants as well, but I’m not a virologist, so maybe I’m wrong. 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

From what I’ve read, it looks like being infected by Omicron gives wide ranging immunity to other variants, so I would think that immunity would mostly extend to newer variants as well, but I’m not a virologist, so maybe I’m wrong. 

so are u gonna get purposely infected by omicron?

9 hours ago, cooked said:

So it's just a coincidence that that happened now? Whatever it is, it hasn't been thoroughly tested either, despite what Facebook claims. What test results there are are being withheld, "will be released in 75 years" Court case going on about that.

What’s your point?

vaccines save lives.

Hospitals are filling up with unvaccinated people. Don’t be one of them - get vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, ozimoron said:

Brazil reels as Omicron spreads

Brazil is suffering a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases as the Omicron variant spreads through the country, putting pressure on health services and weighing on an already sputtering economy.

Epidemiologists hope a successful vaccination campaign, which has seen 67% of the population fully inoculated, will dent the impact of the current wave of infections.

But as demand rises for health services, hospitals are also being hit by staff shortages as doctors and nurses self-isolate after testing positive.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-reels-omicron-spreads-weighing-hospitals-economy-2022-01-14/

I am in Brazil now. No sign of any worry about Omicron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Report from Southern California on boosters.  The rumors of just walking into a pharmacy and get a shot are no longer true.  You have to make an online appt where the software calculates when you can get your booster shot and sets you up an appt.  Some pharmacy's web sites won't even let you sign up until your eligibile.  Luckily, the booster time is down to 5mo from second shot so have an appt in a couple of weeks for the Pfizer booster, Moderna was not a choice as a booster on the pharmacy site I used.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

March isn't far away, but I'd tend to go with what's available now.  Where I live, it is positively tearing through the area.  I am in a gated community that is somewhat insular, mostly (but not all) retired.  We managed to get through the earlier waves with only a few cases.  Omicron has hit hard.  My neighbor has a rather nasty case and has been bedridden for 5 days so far. 

One of my adult children also got it.  He was reasonably ill for 4 full days, but was up and about on the 5th day, although still sick with a lot of coughing and extreme fatigue.  

How quickly the immune system can attack the virus depends to a great extent on your antibody level.  The antibodies buy enough time for the adaptive immune system to kick in, produce more antibodies and declare war on the virus.  The sooner than happens the better and the best defense is a good level of antibodies which a booster will give you.

All that said, it's a judgment call.  Keep us posted.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cooked said:

The Covid virus has been tested. It has killed almost 6 million people. 

You don't want to catch Covid, so unless you are vaccinated, you should lock yourself down. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It may provide a bit more protection from the sniffles just like the annual flu shot. If you are in poor health already it could make the difference between hospitalized or not.

Edited by shdmn

14 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

What’s your point?

vaccines save lives.

Hospitals are filling up with unvaccinated people. Don’t be one of them - get vaccinated.

the confused likes of your post are unvacced in hospital? so preventable.