Omicron is here is it time to get boosted?

yogi yogi

i hope u are right the booster people in usa are at i think only 28 percent.  which aint great.....................hesitancy is gaining ground.  except in china where its forced upon you

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

Guess you are unfamiliar withthe word "progress"  Yes it took years to develope vaccines but with new advances in coputer tech and medicine  they cut that down.

How did we develop a COVID-19 vaccine so quickly?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Guess you are unfamiliar withthe word "progress"  Yes it took years to develope vaccines but with new advances in coputer tech and medicine  they cut that down.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly

So you can predict unpredictable side effects using computers? I don't think so. I can only wish that so much energy was being put into therapy as has been put into much more profitable vaccines. Oh, and change of life styles, maybe eating less <deleted> would help.

• Like 2

Just as with any other variant, the single most valuable thing any government can do is to ensure it's older and most vulnerable people are vaccinated.

In Thailand's case that probably means urgently providing booster doses and it should not stand on ceremony- open walk in centers right now.

Luckily omicron appears less dangerous than Delta though more contagious.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 6:00 AM, MrJ2U said:

There is not enough employees. There out sick.

"Essential workers slammed again as Omicron variant spreads".

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-omicron-essential-workers/

Just stay on top of the news and avoid your conspiracy theories and you'll be fine little guy.

Employees generally fit so not necessarily 'out sick' as the majority are not sick but are forced to isolate - Many of us get the flu and colds and get into work (mostly because we have to) so it's simply not true to say employees are 'sick' - infected yes.

This is still a problem of course as staffing levels affect function and efficiency

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblomov said:

Employees generally fit so not necessarily 'out sick' as the majority are not sick but are forced to isolate - Many of us get the flu and colds and get into work (mostly because we have to) so it's simply not true to say employees are 'sick' - infected yes.

This is still a problem of course as staffing levels affect function and efficiency

....Or like now with Omicron.

It's chaos with 1000's of flight cancellations and hospitals closing because of not enough staff.

"Global COVID-19 infections have hit record highs during the past seven days, data from the Reuters and AFP news agencies showed on Wednesday, as the new Omicron variant spreads rapidly, keeping many workers at home and overwhelming testing centres."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/29/france-report-record-of-more-than-200000-daily-covid-cases

It's going to be worse here in Thailand with so many people vaccinated with Sinovac.

"China COVID vaccine fails to produce enough antibodies: Hong Kong universities"

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Sinovac-booster-insufficient-against-omicron-study-shows

Happy New Year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

....Or like now with Omicron.

It's chaos with 1000's of flight cancellations and hospitals closing because of not enough staff.

"Global COVID-19 infections have hit record highs during the past seven days, data from the Reuters and AFP news agencies showed on Wednesday, as the new Omicron variant spreads rapidly, keeping many workers at home and overwhelming testing centres."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/29/france-report-record-of-more-than-200000-daily-covid-cases

It's going to be worse here in Thailand with so many people vaccinated with Sinovac.

"China COVID vaccine fails to produce enough antibodies: Hong Kong universities"

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Sinovac-booster-insufficient-against-omicron-study-shows

Happy New Year.

It's not just anti bodies but T cell responses are also an importamt factor. We'll soon have data on what level of protection an infection leaves behind. The transmissability of this strain may enforce a level of herd immunity that could alter the impact of this present upsurge.

Let's hope so.

Happy New Year to you too.. 'Let's hope it's a good one.'

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

It's not just anti bodies but T cell responses are also an importamt factor. We'll soon have data on what level of protection an infection leaves behind. The transmissability of this strain may enforce a level of herd immunity that could alter the impact of this present upsurge.

Let's hope so.

Hope so.

Stay safe brother.

18 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

Let's hope so.

You write very well and succinctly.

Not use to that in the forum.

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

You write very well and succinctly.

Not use to that in the forum.

Thank you. And again best wishes. Maybe we'll all be directing our conversations to one another on brighter subjects sometime soon. 

Enjoy your evening

• Like 1

"In this analysis, the risk of hospitalisation is lower for Omicron cases with symptomatic or asymptomatic infection after 2 and 3 doses of vaccine, with an 81% ... reduction in the risk of hospitalisation after 3 doses compared to unvaccinated Omicron cases," the UKHSA said.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/hospitalisation-risk-omicron-around-one-third-delta-uk-analysis-shows-2021-12-31/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cooked said:

So you can predict unpredictable side effects using computers? I don't think so. I can only wish that so much energy was being put into therapy as has been put into much more profitable vaccines. Oh, and change of life styles, maybe eating less <deleted> would help.

Why did you not click onthe link in my post? 

Is it because you don't want to read anything that disagrees with your views or that you might not understand  what  the article is saying?  And yes computers  can predict probable interactions of meds, vaccines and diseses , they are called computer models  and they provide a posssible outcome which then are tried in real time to see if thier prediction is correct or not. Cuts down on just trying 1,000 of tests by predicting which one is likely to work.

https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/can-artificial-intelligence-help-us-design-vaccines/

That's why they are using  computer models to do away with animal testing

https://theconversation.com/why-computer-simulations-should-replace-animal-testing-for-heart-drugs-93409

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, LukKrueng said:

What do you mean deferent areas in the immune system? As in 1 vaccine protect your arm and the other your leg? 

There are currently 3 technologies that try to teach the body to fight Corona: 

1. Traditional vaccines (Chinese) that use weakened or dead covid virus

2. mRNA that deliver the spikes protein to the body's cells without the virus itself

3. Using an GMO non harmful to humans virus that through the genetic modification imitates the covid virus. 

Everything you need to know about getting a COVID-19 booster

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/everything-you-need-to-know-about-getting-a-covid-19-booster/ar-AAPQ5Fv?li=BBnba9O

On 12/30/2021 at 5:07 PM, yogi yogi said:

i hope u are right the booster people in usa are at i think only 28 percent.  which aint great.....................hesitancy is gaining ground.  except in china where its forced upon you

IMO only to be expected, given the ( IMO ) disastrous way most western governments have handled the situation. I would include the Thai government in that.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:26 PM, ozimoron said:

It is reasonable to assume that anybody with a firm grasp of those regulations would not be antivax in the first place without being able to make a reasoned argument for being so.

Some of us are not antivax per se, just anti pfizer. I got an alternative as soon as it was made available. Had an alternative been available when they first came out I'd have had it then.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:28 PM, cooked said:

IMO there has been very little released about the sort of people most at risk, other than the very old and those with underlying health problems. I have to wonder if it was known that obese people are at high risk, would PC be suppressing that info?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anything related to MSM gets an automatic dismissal from me.

For one it's MSN  not MSM and it is simply a web portal like Yahoo and many others that report news, medical findings, sports from various other sources. Also MSN and many other news and medical  reports have stated that  obesity is one of the links between high risk of infection and death from Covid.

Obesity increases the risk for severe COVID-19–associated illness.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e4.htm

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO there has been very little released about the sort of people most at risk, other than the very old and those with underlying health problems. I have to wonder if it was known that obese people are at high risk, would PC be suppressing that info?

Your statement is comletely wrong as other posters also report that MSN and many other science and medical organizations have eported  who are at high risk for Covid infection/death.

Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesity—even if they're young

https://www.science.org/content/article/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

Patients with obesity may have a greater risk of infection, hospitalization, clinically severe disease, mechanical ventilation, ICU admission, and mortality due to COVID-19. Therefore, it is important to increase awareness of these associations with obesity in COVID-19 patients.

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Reading between the lines you embrace fringe conspiracy sites? If not you should be saying you avoid all media.

Only if ASEANNOW is a conspiracy site. I actually have a life that doesn't involve going on websites all day.

Other than ASEANNOW ( which isn't really a news source since it cancelled world news ) I don't go on any internet or tv news sites ( other than Al Jazira ), and I don't even watch local tv as it's just too awful to bother with. So, other than ASEANNOW and Al Jazira, I basically avoid all visual news media.

My main source of news is radio talk back which I take with a large spoonful of salt. While Al Jazeera is also IMO a fear monger when it comes to covid, I can ignore those segments. They continue, IMO, to be the best international tv news organisation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Your statement is comletely wrong as other posters also report that MSN and many other science and medical organizations have eported  who are at high risk for Covid infection/death.

Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesity—even if they're young

https://www.science.org/content/article/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

Patients with obesity may have a greater risk of infection, hospitalization, clinically severe disease, mechanical ventilation, ICU admission, and mortality due to COVID-19. Therefore, it is important to increase awareness of these associations with obesity in COVID-19 patients.

That's interesting, as in NZ there are a lot of obese people, but far as I know, ZERO government action to "encourage" people to lose weight. The number of fat kids I see around is IMO a shame on society. They did mutter a bit about a sugar tax some time ago but that came to nothing.

I'm a bit chubby myself, but the Dr has never talked to me about losing weight, so I doubt there is anything from the government to tell Drs to do something about it.

Government seems more interested in jabbing people than in improving their general health to boost natural immunity.

I wonder if any action in other countries to reduce obesity, given the cost to the health systems of fat people eg diabetes, heart problems etc.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's interesting, as in NZ there are a lot of obese people, but far as I know, ZERO government action to "encourage" people to lose weight. The number of fat kids I see around is IMO a shame on society. They did mutter a bit about a sugar tax some time ago but that came to nothing.

I'm a bit chubby myself, but the Dr has never talked to me about losing weight, so I doubt there is anything from the government to tell Drs to do something about it.

Government seems more interested in jabbing people than in improving their general health to boost natural immunity.

I wonder if any action in other countries to reduce obesity, given the cost to the health systems of fat people eg diabetes, heart problems etc.

Although obesity is linked to higher rates to many diseases (heart, high blood pressure, diabeties, stroke, ect) as well as Covid  just being in good shape, eating well, lower body weight will not protect you from Covid. Below is a link to a 41 year old champion kickboxer , low body fat in great shape who thought he didn't need a vaccine because he was strong and had  natural immunity. He died from Covid.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/27/belgium-anti-vax-boxing-champion-dies-of-covid-after-discharging-himself-from-hospital-15830527/

On 12/26/2021 at 1:34 PM, yogi yogi said:

the unvacceds goal of derailing vaccinations are going ahead.  they will succeed. we will all get covid now . if you are over 65..........in trouble............now everyone will get covid 

YES SIR..WERE ALL GOING TO DIE...SOMETIME

• Thanks 1