Omicron is here is it time to get boosted?

yogi yogi

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and just who is going to pay the 140 billion? Western taxpayers- yeah right, poor country taxpayers- yeah right, print the money ( like they are apparently doing already )- hello 1980's style inflation.

There is no free lunch and unless big pharma releases the patents so the stuff can cost pennies ( good luck with that! ) IMO it's never going to happen.

The figure is actually only $7 billion

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/27/biden-covid-vaccines-usaid-funding-526126

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

News flash for you: that's why all vaccines (except the J&J) were originally given in 2 jabs. They were supposed to work basically forever (after all we were told that once 70-80% of the population is vaccinated Corona will be gone). No one said a booster will be needed after only 6 months, which in some countries was reduced to 4 and even 3 months after the 2nd jab, and now everybody is talking about a 4th jab. My guess is that it will become a monthly thing (maybe weekly? ) in the near future. 

But hey, go ahead and enrol to the weekly program. 

Might even be daily!!!!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chao Lao Beach said:

Sinovac x 3 useless for Omicron.  Will hurt many China dependent countries very much.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows

From the article:

"While much is still unknown about how Sinovac’s shot holds up to omicron -- including how T cells, the immune system’s weapon against virus-infected cells, will respond -- the initial results are a blow to those who have received CoronaVac."

So it's not known yet whether coronavac can reduce the likelihood of serious illness and dying. But if past form is anything to go back, it will still be effective against such eventualitys although not as effective as the current Western vaccines in use.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, LukKrueng said:

What do you mean deferent areas in the immune system? As in 1 vaccine protect your arm and the other your leg? 

There are currently 3 technologies that try to teach the body to fight Corona: 

1. Traditional vaccines (Chinese) that use weakened or dead covid virus

2. mRNA that deliver the spikes protein to the body's cells without the virus itself

3. Using an GMO non harmful to humans virus that through the genetic modification imitates the covid virus. 

COVID vaccine cocktails: A guide to mixing and matching Pfizer, Moderna, J&J booster shots

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-vaccine-cocktails-guide-mixing-123834414.html

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

News flash for you: that's why all vaccines (except the J&J) were originally given in 2 jabs. They were supposed to work basically forever (after all we were told that once 70-80% of the population is vaccinated Corona will be gone). No one said a booster will be needed after only 6 months, which in some countries was reduced to 4 and even 3 months after the 2nd jab, and now everybody is talking about a 4th jab. My guess is that it will become a monthly thing (maybe weekly? ) in the near future. 

But hey, go ahead and enrol to the weekly program. 

Most vaccines which do not contain a live attenuated (weakened) virus typically require multiple doses and boosters.

Its not your fault that you didn’t understand this, you’re neither a Dr, a Virologist or given your comments have a scientific or analytical background. But, don’t make stuff up - it was never expected that the existing vaccines work forever, that is something you have misread, taken out of context or assumed. 

It is of no surprise that a booster is required for Covid-19 vaccination just as it is with Influenza, 

Some live vaccines can offer you a lifetime of protection against disease, others require two doses of attenuated (live) virus for life time protection i.e. MMR (measles, mumps, Rubella) and Chickenpox. 

Other vaccines which use inactivated viruses need several doses over time to maintain effectiveness, i.e. Hepatitis, Tetanus, Polio etc.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:44 PM, LukKrueng said:

What do you mean deferent areas in the immune system? As in 1 vaccine protect your arm and the other your leg? 

There are currently 3 technologies that try to teach the body to fight Corona: 

1. Traditional vaccines (Chinese) that use weakened or dead covid virus

2. mRNA that deliver the spikes protein to the body's cells without the virus itself

3. Using an GMO non harmful to humans virus that through the genetic modification imitates the covid virus. 

Well, you're about 50% correct. 

1)OK

2) The mRNA vaccines do not deliver the spike protein to the body cells. They deliver - surprise! surprise! mRNA (messenger RNA)to the cells. The mRNA instructs the cells to manufacture the spike proteins and display them on the surface of the cells. This gets the immune system to recognize the spikes and treat them as a threat later when they are encountered on the covid virus.

3)I guess for #3 you're referring to the modified adenovirus vaccines. No, they don't imitate the covid virus. Similar to mRNA they deliver instructions to the cells to create spikes that subsequently stud the surface of the cells. The difference is that they use DNA to instruct the cells instead of mRNA.

6 hours ago, Chao Lao Beach said:

Sinovac x 3 useless for Omicron.  Will hurt many China dependent countries very much.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-23/three-sinovac-doses-fail-to-protect-against-omicron-study-shows

Well here's some news for you 3 shots of Pfizer  are not that protective against Omicrom:

3 COVID-19 vaccine shots won’t stop omicron variant, BioNTech leader says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/3-covid-19-vaccine-shots-wont-stop-omicron-variant-biontech-leader-says/ar-AAS9InQ?li=BBnbfcL

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is of no surprise that a booster is required for Covid-19 vaccination just as it is with Influenza, 

The surprise is that a booster is required every 3 months. As for influenza - it's a different vaccine every year based on speculation of this year's variant and not a booster to the 1 you got last year. 

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The surprise is that a booster is required every 3 months. As for influenza - it's a different vaccine every year based on speculation of this year's variant and not a booster to the 1 you got last year. 

You mentioned ‘speculation’, and did so without an ounce of introspection.

4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Well here's some news for you 3 shots of Pfizer  are not that protective against Omicrom:

3 COVID-19 vaccine shots won’t stop omicron variant, BioNTech leader says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/3-covid-19-vaccine-shots-wont-stop-omicron-variant-biontech-leader-says/ar-AAS9InQ?li=BBnbfcL

This same misinformation over and over and over again. While it is true that the vaccines don't protect against omicron infection but they are still very effective at preventing serious illness or death. Which is more important?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:27 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

People scared of taking a jab of a safe and effective vaccine insinuating others are cowards is hypocrisy writ large.

the anti vaccers are not cowards. they just are taking up hospital beds and coffins from people who need medical lhelp and death from normal ageing

Edited by yogi yogi
spelling
  • Confused 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:03 AM, Caldera said:

Go for it.

That being said, quite understandably there's been a mad rush to get boosters since a few weeks due to Omicron, so availability may vary depending on your location etc.

i think there are quite a few moderna shots that have been paid for and are no longer required by the original buyer.

i bought 2 shots back in june or july from Princ hospital Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok, i have now arranged for my wife and I to receive them as booster shots on the 3rd Jan.  after both of us obtaining 2 x AZ shots.

a friend is in the same boat as me but has transferred 1 shot to a friend, he has 4 further shots booked that were for family. who have since obtained booster shots from the local government hospital, there will be others in the same boat with paid for unneeded moderna shots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

This same misinformation over and over and over again. While it is true that the vaccines don't protect against omicron infection but they are still very effective at preventing serious illness or death. Which is more important?

Don't accuse me of reporting misinformation ! That article was writtenn by a Pfizer vaccine developer and stated that 3 shots were not as effective against  getting Omicron as  Delta BUT was good at preventing serious effects. 

Good news about omicron: It may pass quickly, pose small threat to vaccinated, experts say

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/good-news-about-omicron-it-may-pass-quickly-pose-small-threat-to-vaccinated-experts-say/ar-AASd6C2

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, morrobay said:

No it's time to get omicorn. A new South African study suggests that are omicorn antibodies produce protection against delta. https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/12/28/omicron-antibodies-could-provide-immunity-against-delta-covid-variant-south-africa-study-s

It's a very small study but still cause for optimism.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most vaccines which do not contain a live attenuated (weakened) virus typically require multiple doses and boosters.

Its not your fault that you didn’t understand this, you’re neither a Dr, a Virologist or given your comments have a scientific or analytical background. But, don’t make stuff up - it was never expected that the existing vaccines work forever, that is something you have misread, taken out of context or assumed. 

Some live vaccines can offer you a lifetime of protection against disease, others require two doses of attenuated (live) virus for life time protection i.e. MMR (measles, mumps, Rubella) and Chickenpox. 

Other vaccines which use inactivated viruses need several doses over time to maintain effectiveness, i.e. Hepatitis, Tetanus, Polio etc.

Yes, yes, yes of course. But there are still people around that think that a vaccine should protect them against a disease, not reduce symptoms. Why? Because that's what a lot of uninformed (uninformable) politicians and journalists think and want you to think. As you so subtly hint, most of us are too stupid to understand this, but the fact That the WHO had to change the definition of the word "vaccine" in order to be able to call these untested meds vaccines, gives rise to suspicions in some simple minds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Don't accuse me of reporting misinformation ! That article was writtenn by a Pfizer vaccine developer and stated that 3 shots were not as effective against  getting Omicron as  Delta BUT was good at preventing serious effects. 

Good news about omicron: It may pass quickly, pose small threat to vaccinated, experts say

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/good-news-about-omicron-it-may-pass-quickly-pose-small-threat-to-vaccinated-experts-say/ar-AASd6C2

You didn't mention the prevention of serious side effects which was by far the most important aspect of the vaccines. That is tantamount to misinformation by omission. The criticism was valid especially given that members here have emphasised the distinction so many times that you must be well aware of it and, as you admit, it was mentioned in the linked article. What was your reasoning in failing to note that distinction?

Edited by ozimoron

59 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You didn't mention the prevention of serious side effects which was by far the most important aspect of the vaccines. That is tantamount to misinformation by omission. The criticism was valid especially given that members here have emphasised the distinction so many times that you must be well aware of it and, as you admit, it was mentioned in the linked article. What was your reasoning in failing to note that distinction?

Maybe because I left a link so people could read and hopefully understand what the developer was saying. I am not antivax have had 2 shots of AZ  and get Pfizer booster next week. Was in US Army and was shot with over 21 vacccines to protect us from areas we might be assigned to. Take influenza vax but nevr had pneumonia vax as I have very strong immune system and basically never get a upper respiratory innfection. I don't think my very good immune system would protect me from Covid so I did not hesitate on getting a shot.

So you are saying if we leave a link to an article we have to  also explain what the article means? I prefer to think that if you read English you can comprehend/understand what the writer is saying.

Edited by Tony125
spelling

19 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Maybe because I left a link so people could read and hopefully understand what the developer was saying. I am not antivax have had 2 shots of AZ  and get Pfizer booster next week. Was in US Army and was shot with over 21 vacccines to protect us from areas we might be assigned to. Take influenza vax but nevr had pneumonia vax as I have very strong immune system and basically never get a upper respiratory innfection. I don't think my very good immune system would protect me from Covid so I did not hesitate on getting a shot.

So you are saying if we leave a link to an article we have to  also explain what the article means? I prefer to think that if you read English you can comprehend/understand what the writer is saying.

You chose to explain what the article meant, that's presumably your purpose in linking it. You just didn't explain it in a manner which provided the whole truth. As such, your explanation was profoundly misleading. The fact that the vaccines did actually protect against serious illness has been explained here so many times that it is reasonable to assume the omission was intentional.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, LukKrueng said:
On 12/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yes and no....  The Influenza booster follows and predicts the antigenic drift of influenza if there is any, otherwise the booster is the same. 

Additionally the influenza vaccine does not provide year long protection, antibodies wane after 6 months. 

This is why the Influenza vaccine is administered ‘seasonally’ (i.e. in October in the norther hemisphere) when Flu activity typically begins to increase. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes and no....  The Influenza booster follows and predicts the antigenic drift of influenza if there is any, otherwise the booster is the same. 

Additionally the influenza vaccine does not provide year long protection, antibodies wane after 6 months. 

This is why the Influenza vaccine is administered ‘seasonally’ (i.e. in October in the norther hemisphere) when Flu activity typically begins to increase. 

And there is some guesswork involved about what the prevalent strain will be. This year they got it wrong as far as preventing infection goes. But it should still work well against serious illness.

Flu vaccines don't match the main circulating flu virus strain, researchers find

"One of the main circulating influenza viruses has changed and the current flu vaccines don't match it well any more -- an indication they may not do much to prevent infection, researchers reported Thursday. But they are still likely to prevent severe illness.

"From our lab-based studies it looks like a major mismatch," Scott Hensley, a professor of microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania who led the study, told CNN."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/16/health/flu-vaccine-mismatch/index.html

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

i think there are quite a few moderna shots that have been paid for and are no longer required by the original buyer.

i bought 2 shots back in june or july from Princ hospital Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok, i have now arranged for my wife and I to receive them as booster shots on the 3rd Jan.  after both of us obtaining 2 x AZ shots.

a friend is in the same boat as me but has transferred 1 shot to a friend, he has 4 further shots booked that were for family. who have since obtained booster shots from the local government hospital, there will be others in the same boat with paid for unneeded moderna shots.

but moderna booster is  a half dose.  so if u using moderna normal jab u are over boosting

4 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

but moderna booster is  a half dose.  so if u using moderna normal jab u are over boosting

No as the article below  shows  a half dose  gives  37 fold boost but you can take a fulldose  and get a 83 fold boost , your not over medicating especially if your over 60.

Moderna booster: How well does it protect against omicron

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/moderna-booster-how-well-does-it-protect-against-omicron/ar-AAOw9jn?li=BBnb7Kz