Thailand Confirms 205 Omicron Cases

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

That particular sentence to me just seems like a sop to the local population that there is no local transmission and that it’s all due to international arrivals. Maybe that was true at one point, very unlikely to be so now.

If Singapore has over 490 cases, it beggars belief that Thailand has only 200.

Have to remember they only concentrate frequent testing on tourists, arrival, day 6. Said all along if you don't test, you won't find and the first you know about cases rising is when clusters emerge, but it's too late by then. Whack a mole, UK tried it and it just doesn't work to control it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goatfarmer said:

"Omicron spreads 70 times faster" is vague and misleading. The claim is that Omicron spreads 70 times faster in the bronchi than Delta. It doesn't spread 70 times faster in the community.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/omicron-propagates-70-times-faster-than-delta-in-bronchi-study-69540

Comparative transmission and severity might also be considered.......

1 minute ago, JRG23 said:

Face. That is all in Thailand. The truth doesn't matter about Omicron or another strain. Only Face does. That's why lying is so prevelant here.

Like lying isn't prevalent everywhere.  I know of no politician or government agency in the World that doesn't lie through their collective teeth as a matter of course. Thailand is no different to anywhere else. 

• Like 2

A post linking to the BKK Post has been removed along with a reply.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not ASEANNOW.com

https://aseannow.com/terms/

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe when they test the first sample provided they check it for the genomic qualities of Omicron etc...and return it within 24 hrs.  They are able to do this elsewhere, why not here.

Wrong even in OZ it takes longer than 24 hours

• Like 1

The media are still frantically counting "cases", yet we hear very little about the serious illness stats or the excess deaths. Maybe the huge infection and transmission rates are much more newsworthy. 

In most countries it appears that the biggest problem is the asymptomatic workforce being forced to isolate instead of working.......

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

but because I wore one when I went out and about before covid because of the PM 2.5 air quality. 

That's exactly why we moved! When it is literally unhealthy to breath it's time to move on. Pitty those who don't have the means to relocate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Venom said:

That's exactly why we moved! When it is literally unhealthy to breath it's time to move on. Pitty those who don't have the means to relocate.

Living in any big city in the world has it's Air Quality issues.  Does not mean one does not have the means to relocate.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yeah, everytime they report about the worst epidemic since the Black Death, it's all doom and gloom. 

It was thanks to them that the UK changed its herd immunity narrative at the beginning of the pandemic nearly 2 years ago

• Like 1

Latest from the 

46 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

The Imperial College once again, what  is it with these guys and their constant doom and gloom?? 

Here is their most recent, hardly doom and gloom:

45 - 55% reduced risk from Omicron

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-50-severity-omicron/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Omicron: Unvaccinated 60 times more likely to end up in hospital than vaccinated - study

First death from Omicron variant registered in Australia
According to the health department, the man had been vaccinated with two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and had underlying health conditions.

PS: Omicron variant accounts for 80% of all new covid infections. in AU. Of the 9,884 new covid infections on DEC 26 recorded in AU (80% prevailing omicron rate), only one death from omicron case in fully vaccinated 80's male in an age cared facility

AU is 76% fully vaccinated, (almost 3 X the vaccination rate of S Africa), but has more new covid infections (309/M) than S Africa (250/M) on Dec 26th. Check the graph, try not to cringe too much.

Edited by codemonkey
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, codemonkey said:
11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Omicron: Unvaccinated 60 times more likely to end up in hospital than vaccinated - study

First death from Omicron variant registered in Australia
According to the health department, the man had been vaccinated with two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine and had underlying health conditions.

PS: Omicron variant accounts for 80% of all new covid infections. in AU. Of the 9,884 new covid infections on DEC 26 recorded in AU (80% prevailing omicron rate), only one death from omicron case in fully vaccinated 80's male in an age cared facility

AU is 76% fully vaccinated, (almost 3 X the vaccination rate of S Africa), but has more new covid infections (309/M) than S Africa (250/M) on Dec 26th. Check the graph, try not to cringe too much.

A good set of facts there....   with key information (vaccinated, 80 years old, underlying health conditions).

I just want to add...  In a society which has a 100% vaccination rate 100% of all deaths, including Covid-19 related deaths will be in vaccinated individuals - this is how easy it is for those who would argue that vaccines are ineffective to misuse a simple stat in a misleading manner. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Latest from the 

Here is their most recent, hardly doom and gloom:

45 - 55% reduced risk from Omicron

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-50-severity-omicron/

Question: 

Just because Omicron is out there as the prevalent strain....  does it ‘displace’ Delta ????

i.e. does contracting Omicron prevent someone from contracting Delta and thus prevent further spread of delta, or could someone contract both strains at the same time ?

It makes more sense to me that the delta variant continues and while Omicron is getting all the news, Delta remains a serious issue. 

The concern of course would be a combination variant (is it even possible) of Delta / Omicron (i.e. Pi variant - which is next unless they choose not to use Pi for confusing it with 3.14159.) which has the transmission rate of Omicron and severity of Delta....  Perhaps not as it would seem that the effectiveness of the transmission of Omicron is its replication (x70 of original variant) in the upper respiratory tract making symptoms less severe.... 

(all food for thought). 

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

would argue that vaccines are ineffective

Those are your words, not mine, you are the expert on vaccines and the straw-man game.

You need to see a MUCH larger picture here, and what omicron might entail to long term endpoint here, Now, go back and research what the stated pfizer objective is for their vaccine in the clinical trials and note the likeliness of meeting their design objective for the vaccine now that they are pushing the 3rd or 4rth iteration in the form of boosters.

I never said vaccines were ineffective, but you did.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Question: 

Just because Omicron is out there as the prevalent strain....  does it ‘displace’ Delta ????

i.e. does contracting Omicron prevent someone from contracting Delta and thus prevent further spread of delta, or could someone contract both strains at the same time ?

It makes more sense to me that the delta variant continues and while Omicron is getting all the news, Delta remains a serious issue. 

The concern of course would be a combination variant (is it even possible) of Delta / Omicron (i.e. Pi variant - which is next unless they choose not to use Pi for confusing it with 3.14159.) which has the transmission rate of Omicron and severity of Delta....  Perhaps not as it would seem that the effectiveness of the transmission of Omicron is its replication (x70 of original variant) in the upper respiratory tract making symptoms less severe.... 

(all food for thought).

Yes, you can get both strains, but for a variety of reasons, this isn't a big problem.  I don't think I'd want to be the patient that gets both, though.

It's not common to get both.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/health/ask-dr-nandi/can-you-get-infected-with-both-omicron-and-delta-at-the-same-time

2 hours ago, codemonkey said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

would argue that vaccines are ineffective

Those are your words, not mine, you are the expert on vaccines and the straw-man game.

You need to see a MUCH larger picture here, and what omicron might entail to long term endpoint here, Now, go back and research what the stated pfizer objective is for their vaccine in the clinical trials and note the likeliness of meeting their design objective for the vaccine now that they are pushing the 3rd or 4rth iteration in the form of boosters.

You’ve flown out the gates in defensive mode and miss-read my post. 

2 hours ago, codemonkey said:

I never said vaccines were ineffective, but you did.

I know... but neither did I... read again....   

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I just want to add...  In a society which has a 100% vaccination rate 100% of all deaths, including Covid-19 related deaths will be in vaccinated individuals - this is how easy it is for those who would argue that vaccines are ineffective to misuse a simple stat in a misleading manner. 

On 12/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, Trip Hop said:

My exact thoughts exactly when reading the thread from a couple of days ago about the alleged cases that entered at the beginning of December but now only found to be Omicron? For some reason Thailand likes to portray that Omicron is a special strain of the virus that is hard to detect whilst other countries have no problems at all?

I think that when the abacus is fixed the numbers will be a bit higher, also considering that SA has thrown out the tracing app, and no longer requires testing but says just isolate for five days and then wear a mask for another three says, Deltas all over rover. 

If Omicron has spread allover LOS then it is highly likely that most won't even know they had it, probably think its Ben Wat.