Authorities Recommend 3 AstraZeneca Doses to Fight Omicron

webfact

6973c72096a4b7d19d114fa7d1cb4257_small.jpg

By Natthaphon  Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health is urging people who have received two doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to get a third dose from the same brand as a booster to protect against the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, citing academic studies, said on Friday (Dec 24) that those who receive three AstraZeneca jabs are at greatly reduced risk of contracting the Omicron strain.

He also noted that Thailand, with its own AstraZeneca manufacturing facilities, will be able to deliver 61 million doses by year-end, with another 60 million to be delivered at the start of 2022.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), meanwhile said findings by researchers at Oxford University in the UK indicated that three AstraZeneca doses provide the same efficacy against the Omicron strain as two provide against the Delta variant.

He added that rollouts of Pfizer jabs for children aged 5-11 will not be rushed due to injections requiring consent from parents.

Dr Apisamai Srirangson, assistant spokeswoman for the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said the agency is also working with Oxford University to develop a vaccine specifically for the Omicron variant.

nnt.jpg

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I also have same question.

BTW how long after 2nd AZ shot is your planned booster.

It will be 97 days after 2nd AZ. I made the date change after the new 3-6 month announcement. 2 months earlier than original booking...... little nervous about it, should be ok and no idea what the dose volume they use ! 

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, countries of the world buying a billion doses of chinese gunk seems to have been a bit of a waste of time and country budget

It is easy to be a smart-ar5e in hindsight.

Sinovac is recognised by WHO and was deemed to be effective against the original strain of COVID .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health is urging people who have received two doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to get a third dose from the same brand as a booster to protect against the highly transmissible Omicron coronavirus variant

So why is my local health authority stating that if 2X Astra have been administered the booster will be Pfizer?

Astra booster is only for the Sino/Astra combo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, countries of the world buying a billion doses of chinese gunk seems to have been a bit of a waste of time and country budget

That's debatable.. especially here in Thailand.

I'm sure it'd benefited many... if you get my drift.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My local health authority is stating 3 months after 2 AZ jab for the booster.

This is small clip from health department Oz government.

"There is still a significant amount of protection even after six months and that is why the booster program has been launched as an option for people who received their second dose more than six months ago and they can go and get it.".

That was made in November.

Seems some different/mixed messaging.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is small clip from health department Oz government.

"There is still a significant amount of protection even after six months and that is why the booster program has been launched as an option for people who received their second dose more than six months ago and they can go and get it.".

That was made in November.

Seems some different/mixed messaging.

Dec 23rd & 24th my local health authority held a booster inoculation programme at the Rajabhat University for anyone who had received two vaccinations the 2nd being no less than 3 months.

2X astra your got Pfizer

Sino/astra combo you got AZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reality: Authorities recommend a third dose of whatever they have going and it's certainly not peer-reviewed science.

But, does it matter now? I suspect most ex-pats are just after a regime that is widely accepted for travel at this point.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So why is my local health authority stating that if 2X Astra have been administered the booster will be Pfizer?

Because supplies of Moderna are getting low? It was earlier announced that from the New Year the option of Moderna  would not be available anymore.

First it was called for Moderna or Pfizer as the third shot. Now third Astra shot on top of 2 AZ after all? Apparently there aren't enough Moderna and Pfizer shots available? Then Astra or what?

So the vaccination recommendations are more than unclear, which one is really the most sensible.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

First it was called for Moderna or Pfizer as the third shot. Now third Astra shot on top of 2 AZ after all? Apparently there aren't enough Moderna and Pfizer shots available? Then Astra or what?

So the vaccination recommendations are more than unclear, which one is really the most sensible.

The third AZ booster comes after 2 AZ jabs now based upon an Oxford study that was published recently and show the efficacy of a Third AZ jab is up there with both Pfizer and Moderna Boosters.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The third AZ booster comes after 2 AZ jabs now based upon an Oxford study that was published recently and show the efficacy of a Third AZ jab is up there with both Pfizer and Moderna Boosters.

is illogical for me. two Astra shots do not help against Omicron after 3 months, but now the third shot with the same active ingredient should help. Again for 3 months? On the whole, the protective effect of the vaccinations is extremely short. 2 times Pfizer then 3 shots after 6 months. In terms of temporal protection, Pfizer seems to be better.

Just now, tomacht8 said:

is illogical for me. two Astra shots do not help against Omicron after 3 months, but now the third shot with the same active ingredient should help. Again for 3 months? On the whole, the protective effect of the vaccinations is extremely short. 2 times Pfizer then 3 shots after 6 months. In terms of temporal protection, Pfizer seems to be better.

I just reported what was put out in the main news that's all.  My daughter, the nurse practitioner recommends a miderna boost for those who have 2 AZ jabs already   I will get one in 3 weeks while in the US.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yea , down here in Hat Yai same 2x AZ got the 3rd Pfizer 7 days ago.

• Like 1

BKK Hospital BKK Moderna Vaccine reservations have been temporarily suspended. "Excessive vaccine reservation and limited amount of allocated vaccines suspended from 21 December at 10pm onwards. Customers who made appointments 22 December - 6 January 2022 services are provided as scheduled" its on their website to read.......... 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Sinovac is recognised by WHO and was deemed to be effective against the original strain of COVID

Yes, the same people who said it was not a pandemic, did not recommend chinese non travel and who appear to be white washing the chinese virus by agreeing the chinese do not have to provide their data