Mahidol University Launches Sex Education App for Youths with Hearing Impairments

webfact

fb7d5fd6d9e36ee2c62046e8727289c1_small.jpg

By Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Compulsory Sexuality Education (CSE) mobile application has been released by Mahidol University to help educate young people with hearing impairments on how to protect themselves against unwanted advances and pregnancy, as well as sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and sexual violence.

The app, whose content was developed by Asst Prof Dr Kanokwan Tharawan, lecturer at the Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University, is intended for youths aged 10 and over.

Dr Kanokwan has a PhD in Medical Anthropology from the University of California and has taught sex education for more than 20 years. She said the software was inspired by a lecture she gave on the subject that was attended by deaf students who faced problems such as sexual assault, unplanned pregnancies and STIs. One particular issue she noticed was the low rate of literacy and knowledge of sign language among many deaf attendees, which effectively limited their options for accessing sexual education.

The app, which relies solely on graphics and images, consists of five primary subjects covering sexual orientation; safe sex practices and products; unplanned pregnancies; STIs; and violence against women.

A major obstacle Dr Kanokwan said she faced while developing the app was Apple Inc’s App Store, which refused to allow the use of images or graphics depicting sexuality on apps made available on its platform.

Despite numerous attempts to contact the company and explain the situation, the Apple Store continued to ban the CSE app, forcing Dr Kanokwan to remove much of its content.

She noted that she encountered no such issues with the Google Play store and says she hopes to achieve her goal of educating 24,000 deaf youths nationwide.

The CSE app is now available for both Android and iOS devices.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

"Mahidol University Launches Sex Education App"

Apps and Thailand don't mix.

Most teenagers know more about sex than their parents these days. 

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sex education App for the hearing impaired? since when the sex act involve one's ears? i could think of other parts but the ears?...

It's to help with communication. Apparently there is no word in the Thai language equivalent to the English word 'No'. My Thai wife who is not deaf simply relies on a knee in my groin as an alternative.

• Haha 1

That sounds good.

Now follow it up with an app for youths with moral impairment.

They usually grow up to be serial philanderers and keepers of mia noi.

The economic and social damage this causes to families is glaringly obvious to anybody who lives near them.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sex education App for the hearing impaired? since when the sex act involve one's ears? i could think of other parts but the ears?...

Ears? I've heard plenty of times women wanting aural sex. 

But they always seem to change their minds whilst giving me strange looks.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Strange that they start sex education with the hearing impaired. While there are a number of hearing impaired in Thailand, how about all other young people?