Wise transfers getting very slow

I hope its not just me but last month i made a transfer from Wise to Bangkok Bank but it took a couple of hours for my transfer from Santander to Wise to happen. This used to happen almost immediately. This morning i Transferred from Santander to Wise nearly 5 hours ago and Wise still say waiting for my money. 

It does worry me sometimes when i really have no idea where my money is with one saying its gone and another saying still waiting for it. Is this delay becoming more common or is it a case of these days transfers only happen in normal business hours so my transfer wont happen until Santander staff open up the bank to transfer it to Wise.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's Santander they are doing more checks, it comes out of your account into their checking account, it's not Wise

I suppose it depends on how you are transferring from Santander to Wise. If via a debit card it should be instant, as should a normal transfer to any UK bank account.

If you don't have a Borderless account at Wise, with a Sort Code and Account number, then maybe some human intervention is involved, and today is a bank holiday.

Edited by KannikaP

had an issue where my payment method defaulted to a bank transfer method (over the usual card payment transfer)

went back into the app 3 days later and it said it was waiting for me to transfer from my bank 

cancelled it and selected the card payment transfer and money was sent instantly

I understand and accept most of the replies but I have not changed my method of transfer in years. No matter what day or what time of the day the transfer from Santander to Wise was literally seconds.

I did notice this morning though that the Santander transfer setup was quite different to in the past but still only took a couple of minutes from entering the site to get the message of successful transfer. 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I suppose it depends on how you are transferring from Santander to Wise. If via a debit card it should be instant, as should a normal transfer to any UK bank account.

If you don't have a Borderless account at Wise, with a Sort Code and Account number, then maybe some human intervention is involved, and today is a bank holiday.

nothing to do with borderless or not, Santander are doing checks on transfers, simple as that, I've talked to them about it, one day someone tried to send 80x£1,000 transfers in one day to avoid the checks

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

nothing to do with borderless or not, Santander are doing checks on transfers, simple as that, I've talked to them about it, one day someone tried to send 80x£1,000 transfers in one day to avoid the checks

Change banks then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This morning, 28th Dec 21, I requested Wise to send some money.

Today at 10:16 am You set up your transfer

Today at 10:16 am You used your GBP balance

Your money's being processed

Tomorrow at 10:00 am We pay out your THB

Thursday 10:00 AM You receive your THB

Before when I sent money to the same account (SCB) the phone pinged receipt by SCB before Wise managed to complete the above schedule of events.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

This morning, 28th Dec 21, I requested Wise to send some money.

Today at 10:16 am You set up your transfer

Today at 10:16 am You used your GBP balance

Your money's being processed

Tomorrow at 10:00 am We pay out your THB

Thursday 10:00 AM You receive your THB

Before when I sent money to the same account (SCB) the phone pinged receipt by SCB before Wise managed to complete the above schedule of events.

Most unusual as THB is usually credited at 14.03 the same or next day. Maybe because today, 28th, is a bank holiday and the computers need a rest.

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Most unusual as THB is usually credited at 14.03 the same or next day. Maybe because today, 28th, is a bank holiday and the computers need a rest.

Transfer was to SCB, usually I've found it to be almost instantaneous, Bangkok Bank is always 2pm or thereabouts, but an extra day in Thailand something's going on. Wise hoping the exchange rate will move in their favour maybe?

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

Transfer was to SCB, usually I've found it to be almost instantaneous, Bangkok Bank is always 2pm or thereabouts, but an extra day in Thailand something's going on. Wise hoping the exchange rate will move in their favour maybe?

It depends on what the reason for the transfer is. If it is for long term stay in Thailand it shhould be the following day, and arrive as an International transfer. If you put for living expenses, it should be instantaneous. I read that many members got instant to Bangkok Bank, some of them not really wanting them! 

Do you think that Wise can predict the exchange rate?

Just now, KannikaP said:

It depends on what the reason for the transfer is. If it is for long term stay in Thailand it shhould be the following day, and arrive as an International transfer. If you put for living expenses, it should be instantaneous. I read that many members got instant to Bangkok Bank, some of them not really wanting them! 

Reason was "living expenses".

Nobody can accurately predict rates but they are probably better at looking at the trend line (they are doing it all the time) and making a guess like us

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The reason for transfer drop down box does nothing now. If account is tagged it settles 2pm, if not it's almost instant, subject to holidays.

Some reports of BB transfers settling 2pm that may not be tagged, so possible Wise have switched all to 2pm but not conclusive yet

Edited by scubascuba3

It's probably a combination of month end, year end, and holiday season.

I sent money from Singapore yesterday, usually the transfer takes seconds, yesterday I was advised money would arrive in my Krungsri account Thursday 30th. Transfer from HSBC to Wise with PayNow took seconds, so the delay isn't with my bank, the delay is with Wise and its Thai partners. It's usually Dee Money that completes my transfers, I presume the issue is with matching the transfers. Both banks were open yesterday morning when I started the transfer, and the reason is general living expenses, so no requirement to flag a a foreign transfer. I'm sure it will arrive on Thursday if not before, I've no dire emergency.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The reason for transfer drop down box does nothing now. If account is tagged it settles 2pm, if not it's almost instant, subject to holidays.

Some reports of BB transfers settling 2pm that may not be tagged, so possible Wise have switched all to 2pm but not conclusive yet

From my experience, and others, if a transfer is instigated before 6am Thai time, it will arrive at 14.03 on the same day, otherwise it is the next day at 14.03

On 12/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, KannikaP said:

31 hours and still in processing, 7 hours since their prediction to send THB, 16 hours to projected receipt in my account.

Don't think I can hold my breath that long, considering my last transfer to that account took seconds only.

• Sad 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:54 PM, poppysdad said:

I understand and accept most of the replies but I have not changed my method of transfer in years. No matter what day or what time of the day the transfer from Santander to Wise was literally seconds.

I did notice this morning though that the Santander transfer setup was quite different to in the past but still only took a couple of minutes from entering the site to get the message of successful transfer. 

Instant transfer from my Australian bank to Wise, took seconds. Wise then had the cash for 3 days, then the thai side had it for 2 days. Total of 404000 baht took a total of 6 working days to transfer.

I’ve transferred close to half a million Australian dollars over the last 3 years and this has been easily the biggest delay 

Could be a number of extraneous factors that may be affecting the current  timeliness of transfers. Thai baht is classed as an 'exotic' currency from a trading perspective and has varying liquidity levels which will effect the spread. (differences or margin between buy/sell prices of THB)  Bank of Thailand (BOT) may currently be shifting policy with respect to Liquidity coverage ratios. (LCR's)  These can slow down the purchase/sale of currency swaps.

To cap it off I think from memory compliance issues may be coming into play  as Thailand will become a full member rather than a signatory to a United Nations (UN) program of international Tax reporting ( exchange of information with respect to taxation matters  between member countries for the purpose of  minimising trans national taxation avoidance in 2022 which means more checks and balances with respect to currency transfers. Just some mulling s and thoughts of an average joe.  

I’m not overly concerned, although transfer times do seem to be inconsistent. I’ve noticed that smaller amounts (under ฿20,000) seem to transfer much faster than larger amounts. I’ve also sent during weekends or other times I thought it would be delayed and it’s been sent straight away. I still find it the best way to tx money to Thailand and aus.

• Like 1