Several factors make Thais vulnerable to Omicron variant infection

webfact

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Don't they all reduce the symptoms an thus reduce the risk of hospitalization? That is there primary effect. 

Mitigating symptoms makes them a therapy, not a vaccine. Several people I know who got ‘boosted’ then got covid shortly after.

• Like 1

A recent HongKong study revealed that zero antibodies were found by Sinovac after the booster against Omicron. Google and you’ll find. Zero! Maybe that‘s the main issue for Thailand in the near future? Good that Omicron is more focusing on the bronchi. So just take m-rna as third or fourth shot in 2022. Good luck to the people.

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually it means more than that. It means particles less than 50 micrometers in diameter which  can stay airborne for an extended period of time.

Aerosolized transmission is same as what is referred to as airborne transmission.

Droplets refer to particles that are heavier than air so do nto remain in the air long *but can be picked up from touching contaminated surfaces).

In terms of masks, cloth mask would likely suffice for droplet spread but not for aerosolized (though still better than nothing).

I'm flying back to Thailand Sunday and planning to double or triple mask (surgical masks) at the airport(s), on the flight (it is short flight from Cambodia so heavy masking should be possible without fainting!) and on check-in/check out at the T&G hotel.  Once out I will stay home until after the day 5-6 PCR -- easily done. 

Not because I fear Omicron in terms of my health - I am quadruple vaxxed (2 AZ in Thailand, 2 Pfizer in US, and last dose just 3 months ago) but because I really, really do not want to end up forcibly hospitalized so worry about test results.

If you are looking for surgical masks to protect you, you should try to acquire the equivalent of N95ish masks (N I think is an American classification, KF94 masks from Korea are also a good mask to get) and a face shield (that is what my sister wears when she has to fly - diplomat). Surgical mask is more about preventing an asymptomatic person from spreading the disease (in close quarters especially), outside the sun will disinfect surfaces better and outdoors is better as well for air circulation which in combination with the sun -- does a fairly good job... as long as you maintain the 2 metres or so should reduce the risk for outdoors.  

Just now, bkkcanuck8 said:

If you are looking for surgical masks to protect you, you should try to acquire the equivalent of N95ish masks (N I think is an American classification, KF94 masks from Korea are also a good mask to get) and a face shield (that is what my sister wears when she has to fly - diplomat). Surgical mask is more about preventing an asymptomatic person from spreading the disease (in close quarters especially), outside the sun will disinfect surfaces better and outdoors is better as well for air circulation which in combination with the sun -- does a fairly good job... as long as you maintain the 2 metres or so should reduce the risk for outdoors.  

Thanks, I have these sort of masks already.

My worry is the airports, the plane, and maybe hotel lobby only. The first 2 will not be possible to keep any 2 meter distance.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Whoever it was who said that, I think we can both agree, based on the strength of the evidence, that they got it right.

Chilean study shows variations in success of COVID-19 vaccines

Chile began one of the world's fastest inoculation campaigns against COVID-19 in December, having now fully vaccinated more than 60% of its population, predominantly with Sinovac's (SVA.O)CoronaVac.

That vaccine was 86% effective in preventing hospitalization, 89.7% effective in preventing admission to intensive care units and 86% effective in preventing deaths within the population between February and July, health official Dr Rafael Araos said in a press conference on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/sinovacs-covid-19-vaccine-585-effective-preventing-illness-chile-real-world-2021-08-03/

Sinovac Shot Controls Covid in Brazil Town After 75% Covered

Vaccine prevents 80% symptomatic disease in town of 45,000

Deaths, hospitalizations and cases dropped sharply in Serrana

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-31/sinovac-shot-controlled-covid-in-brazil-town-after-75-covered

Reuters link cited above - header reads: SANTIAGO, Aug 3 (Reuters) - Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine was 58.5% effective in preventing symptomatic illness among millions of Chileans who received it between February and July, the Chilean health authorities said on Tuesday, while Pfizer's COVID-19 shot was 87.7% effective and AstraZeneca's was 68.7% effective.

As for the Brazil news from Bloomberg, it is old. What is new in that link is supposed data from Indonesia, but the claims of the Sinovac CEO cite an Indonesian study, but apparently that was done before Delta:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/world/asia/indonesia-covid-sinovac.html

I could not find a link to a preprint or publication of this study after looking through several of the numerous articles about it.

Here is a report on Sinovac and Omicron from a lab study in Hong Kong:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/three-doses-of-chinas-sinovac-do-pretty-much-nothing-against-omicron-study

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, I have these sort of masks already.

My worry is the airports, the plane, and maybe hotel lobby only. The first 2 will not be possible to keep any 2 meter distance.

Hello Ms. Sheryl -- Maybe you haven't seen my posts but I was on the the ThaiSmile flight we46 SAT DEC 11 that brought the 2 Thai citizens returning from Belgium BKK to Khon Kaen who then became the patient-zeroes of the the Kalasin Omicron cluster.

I got a NOT/DETECTED/NEGATIVE PCR test 2 weeks later 25 DEC and, as far as reporting goes, no one else on the flight was infected. I don't know where the two Thais sat either in the boarding lounge or on the plane but on an Airbus 320 it's hard to be too far away from anyone.

BTW I wear a KN95 mask while on the plane.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

This is from the US VAERS vaccine adverse events reporting system. Note that since 1990, deaths caused by all vaccines run at an average of about 300 a year.

In just ten months, up to Oct., 16,000 covid vaccine deaths have been reported, and this is generally considered to be a gross underestimate.

Link here : https://vaersanalysis.info/2021/10/08/vaers-summary-for-covid-19-vaccines-through-10-1-2021/

2180C00F-7FF9-47D1-A6E6-43B90613F823.jpeg

You are confusing death after vaccination with death caused by vaccination.

As for comparison to other vaccines: most are given to children whereas most COVID vaccination has been of adults, with proportionately higher coverage in the elderly.  Naturally more will die after a COVID vaccination that after a childhood vaccination.

After, not due to.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, placnx said:

Reuters link cited above - header reads: SANTIAGO, Aug 3 (Reuters) - Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine was 58.5% effective in preventing symptomatic illness among millions of Chileans who received it between February and July, the Chilean health authorities said on Tuesday, while Pfizer's COVID-19 shot was 87.7% effective and AstraZeneca's was 68.7% effective.

As for the Brazil news from Bloomberg, it is old. What is new in that link is supposed data from Indonesia, but the claims of the Sinovac CEO cite an Indonesian study, but apparently that was done before Delta:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/25/world/asia/indonesia-covid-sinovac.html

I could not find a link to a preprint or publication of this study after looking through several of the numerous articles about it.

Here is a report on Sinovac and Omicron from a lab study in Hong Kong:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/three-doses-of-chinas-sinovac-do-pretty-much-nothing-against-omicron-study

To take last things first, that's a report about antibody response. What we have consistently seen with coronavac is that it does far less well against transmission and mild symptoms but far better against serious illness and death. So far as I can tell, there have been no studies done about how well it perfroms against serious illness and death from Omicron. Although, it may be that Omicron doesn't pose much of a threat of serious illlness or death compared to previous variants.

And what you didn't note is that my comment was a reply to someone who posted this: "I wonder who said the best vaccine is  the one that is available now when all we had was Sinovac???"

Do you that post is making a valid point?

4 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

This is from the US VAERS vaccine adverse events reporting system. Note that since 1990, deaths caused by all vaccines run at an average of about 300 a year.

In just ten months, up to Oct., 16,000 covid vaccine deaths have been reported, and this is generally considered to be a gross underestimate.

Link here : https://vaersanalysis.info/2021/10/08/vaers-summary-for-covid-19-vaccines-through-10-1-2021/

2180C00F-7FF9-47D1-A6E6-43B90613F823.jpeg

What you fail to grasp is that VAERS stands for Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. Not the Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System. Here's an explanation from the CDC:

"VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases." 

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

• Like 1

I brought this test from America ($12.50), but the free version given at BKK looks like a cheaper, generic version. 

Too bad the free airport test kit instructions were only in Thai.  But I used Google translate camera input function to get by...

Screenshot_20211229-142115_OnGo.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419
Clarification

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

To take last things first, that's a report about antibody response. What we have consistently seen with coronavac is that it does far less well against transmission and mild symptoms but far better against serious illness and death. So far as I can tell, there have been no studies done about how well it perfroms against serious illness and death from Omicron. Although, it may be that Omicron doesn't pose much of a threat of serious illlness or death compared to previous variants.

And what you didn't note is that my comment was a reply to someone who posted this: "I wonder who said the best vaccine is  the one that is available now when all we had was Sinovac???"

Do you that post is making a valid point?

I think that after mRNA vaccines received EUA the US should have used wartime powers (as was done with ventilators) to build more production capacity for these vaccines so that by now, at least, urban areas of the world could be fully vaccinated. Then the issue would have been a moot point. As it was, many countries were between a rock and a hard place. The advice to take any vaccine was not a solution to this pandemic.

They forget one thing !!  The crappy vaccines used in Thailand.. 

Bad news for China and many countries in Asia. The vaccine against Corona from Sinovac does not work at all against Omikron. The Chinese vaccine fails to produce antibodies that attack this mutation of the virus. This is shown by a large test in Hong Kong. According to the scientists behind this study, Pfizer is also moderately effective against Omikron. Only 25 percent of people injected with this substance have antibodies against the Omikron mutation. But that is still more than at Sinovac, where zero antibodies were found. Sinovac has been widely deployed in China to combat the pandemic. Also Turkey, Pakistan, Thailand, the Philippines, Hungary and Brazil mainly use this vaccine. It is not in use in the Netherlands. The study, conducted by the University of Hong Kong, will concern these countries. Especially because it appears that the vaccine also shows worse results against the beta mutation of the virus than Western vaccines. With that, many vaccination campaigns would now be almost useless. Sinovac uses a dead virus to train human defenses. Pfizer uses mRNA technology, which provides immunity against a small part of the virus.

ข่าวร้ายสำหรับจีนและหลายประเทศในเอเชีย วัคซีนป้องกันโคโรนาจาก Sinovac ไม่ได้ผลกับ Omikron เลย วัคซีนของจีนล้มเหลวในการผลิตแอนติบอดีที่โจมตีการกลายพันธุ์ของไวรัสนี้ สิ่งนี้แสดงให้เห็นโดยการทดสอบครั้งใหญ่ในฮ่องกง

ตามที่นักวิทยาศาสตร์ที่อยู่เบื้องหลังการศึกษานี้ Pfizer ยังมีประสิทธิภาพปานกลางต่อ Omikron มีเพียง 25 เปอร์เซ็นต์ของผู้ที่ฉีดสารนี้มีแอนติบอดีต่อต้านการกลายพันธุ์ของ Omikron แต่นั่นก็ยังมากกว่าที่ Sinovac ซึ่งพบแอนติบอดีเป็นศูนย์

Sinovac ถูกนำไปใช้อย่างกว้างขวางในประเทศจีนเพื่อต่อสู้กับโรคระบาด นอกจากนี้ ตุรกี ปากีสถาน ไทย ฟิลิปปินส์ ฮังการี และบราซิลยังใช้วัคซีนนี้เป็นหลัก ไม่ได้ใช้ในเนเธอร์แลนด์

การศึกษาที่ดำเนินการโดยมหาวิทยาลัยฮ่องกงจะเกี่ยวข้องกับประเทศเหล่านี้ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่ง เนื่องจากดูเหมือนว่าวัคซีนยังแสดงผลลัพธ์ที่แย่กว่าการกลายพันธุ์เบต้าของไวรัสที่แย่กว่าวัคซีนของตะวันตก ด้วยเหตุนี้ การรณรงค์ฉีดวัคซีนหลายครั้งจึงแทบจะไร้ประโยชน์

Sinovac ใช้ไวรัสที่ตายแล้วเพื่อฝึกการป้องกันของมนุษย์ ไฟเซอร์ใช้เทคโนโลยี mRNA ซึ่งให้ภูมิคุ้มกันต่อไวรัสส่วนเล็กๆ

Source http://www.faqt.nl/recent/chinees-vaccin-werkt-totaal-niet-tegen-omikron/

30 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

Bad news for China and many countries in Asia. The vaccine against Corona from Sinovac does not work at all against Omikron. The Chinese vaccine fails to produce antibodies that attack this mutation of the virus. This is shown by a large test in Hong Kong. According to the scientists behind this study, Pfizer is also moderately effective against Omikron. Only 25 percent of people injected with this substance have antibodies against the Omikron mutation. But that is still more than at Sinovac, where zero antibodies were found. Sinovac has been widely deployed in China to combat the pandemic. Also Turkey, Pakistan, Thailand, the Philippines, Hungary and Brazil mainly use this vaccine. It is not in use in the Netherlands. The study, conducted by the University of Hong Kong, will concern these countries. Especially because it appears that the vaccine also shows worse results against the beta mutation of the virus than Western vaccines. With that, many vaccination campaigns would now be almost useless. Sinovac uses a dead virus to train human defenses. Pfizer uses mRNA technology, which provides immunity against a small part of the virus.

ข่าวร้ายสำหรับจีนและหลายประเทศในเอเชีย วัคซีนป้องกันโคโรนาจาก Sinovac ไม่ได้ผลกับ Omikron เลย วัคซีนของจีนล้มเหลวในการผลิตแอนติบอดีที่โจมตีการกลายพันธุ์ของไวรัสนี้ สิ่งนี้แสดงให้เห็นโดยการทดสอบครั้งใหญ่ในฮ่องกง

ตามที่นักวิทยาศาสตร์ที่อยู่เบื้องหลังการศึกษานี้ Pfizer ยังมีประสิทธิภาพปานกลางต่อ Omikron มีเพียง 25 เปอร์เซ็นต์ของผู้ที่ฉีดสารนี้มีแอนติบอดีต่อต้านการกลายพันธุ์ของ Omikron แต่นั่นก็ยังมากกว่าที่ Sinovac ซึ่งพบแอนติบอดีเป็นศูนย์

Sinovac ถูกนำไปใช้อย่างกว้างขวางในประเทศจีนเพื่อต่อสู้กับโรคระบาด นอกจากนี้ ตุรกี ปากีสถาน ไทย ฟิลิปปินส์ ฮังการี และบราซิลยังใช้วัคซีนนี้เป็นหลัก ไม่ได้ใช้ในเนเธอร์แลนด์

การศึกษาที่ดำเนินการโดยมหาวิทยาลัยฮ่องกงจะเกี่ยวข้องกับประเทศเหล่านี้ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่ง เนื่องจากดูเหมือนว่าวัคซีนยังแสดงผลลัพธ์ที่แย่กว่าการกลายพันธุ์เบต้าของไวรัสที่แย่กว่าวัคซีนของตะวันตก ด้วยเหตุนี้ การรณรงค์ฉีดวัคซีนหลายครั้งจึงแทบจะไร้ประโยชน์

Sinovac ใช้ไวรัสที่ตายแล้วเพื่อฝึกการป้องกันของมนุษย์ ไฟเซอร์ใช้เทคโนโลยี mRNA ซึ่งให้ภูมิคุ้มกันต่อไวรัสส่วนเล็กๆ

Source http://www.faqt.nl/recent/chinees-vaccin-werkt-totaal-niet-tegen-omikron/

Unfortunately the article has no links to any sources. It mentions "a large test in Hong Kong" but nothing more. Junk journalism. It does admit that only 25% of people injected with Pfizer have any antibodies against Omicron. Again, no sources, no links, no references. Mark as fake.

Ans what's with the "crappy vaccines used in Thailand" comment? Were you here in March 2020?

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

totally prevents infection (as defined as the pathogen entering the body).

There is a Pfizer Corona vaccine trying to do so by preventing the Corona Virus to dock on cells so the Corona Virus can not enter and replicate. "Surface antibodies"

This vaccine is suposed to nasal application in cats.

The vaccine is mostly useless and its use is not recommended by professionals.

There are labs testing the procedures for human nasal vaccines.

My educated guess is the opposite. Maybe Omikron will not overwhelm Thailand:

1. Already a large part of the population is vaccinated. True, some with less effective vaccines but still even they offer some protection.

2. Like in the first wave: Thailand has a young population, not much overweight, not that much smoking, at least among women almost 0%

3. I believe many Thai have been infected with Covid without having many symptoms or such light symptoms that they were not tested, scared to be put in a field hospital for two weeks. So they developed an immunity.

4. Corona viruses have been present in this part of the world for tens of thousands of years. There must be some adaptation in the immune system which makes it different from for instance Europeans.

5. Whatever you read here: Thai are very aware of infectious diseases, they have been around forever and they adapt their lifestyle to deal with it. So if news comes of an outbreak the frist thing most do is stay home, the best response.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Bkk Brian said:

When I see a doctor recommending the following (from the linked article):

"Dr. Thiravat said the best way to administer a booster shot is via subcutaneous (under the skin) injection.

Medication to treat symptoms from the Omicron variant infection is as important as vaccination in reducing the risk of hospitalisation or death, he said, adding that such medications include the Fah Talai Jone Thai herbal medicine, Ivermectin, Fluoxetine or Fluvoxamine."

Then I know its time to ignore anything else he mentioned also.

Right!

Just read the article. No mention of the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines which have (same recent studies as the quoted Pfizer study) near zero efficiency against Omicron. The art of telling half truths, equivalent to just lying!

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I'm flying back to Thailand Sunday and planning to double or triple mask (surgical masks) at the airport(s), on the flight .... and on check-in/check out at the ... hotel.  Once out I will stay home until after the day 5-6 PCR -- easily done. 

Not because I fear Omicron in terms of my health - I am quadruple vaxxed (2 AZ in Thailand, 2 Pfizer in US, and last dose just 3 months ago) but because I really, really do not want to end up forcibly hospitalized so worry about test results.

99% my situation (different flights and hotel; triple vacced Pfizer) and the way I'm going to proceed. The most reasonable one can do I think, if wanting to go back to Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

They tested for antibodies. Not T-cell immunity. The article is very misleading.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They tested for antibodies. Not T-cell immunity. The article is very misleading.

Although all studies so far have been for antibodies, including those on western vaccines against Omicron as its too early to get the estimated results on B & T cell immunity although most studies state/hope that they are expected to remain intact.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, webfact said:

Thai people are at risk of COVID Omicron variant infection, depending on several factors, said Dr. Thiravat Hemachudha, chief of the Thai Red Cross Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Centre today (Tuesday).

One factor, he said, is the drop in efficacy of the vaccines three months after inoculation, although the vaccines are regarded as the best currently available.

A three-dose course of the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines is said to be 10 times more effective than a three-dose course of AstraZeneca, but three months after inoculation, he said that the efficiency of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine will drop by about 40%, citing a study by Pfizer.

From all the videos I have watched taken on Bangla Road Phuket, the large number of persons both Thai and Foreigner not wearing any masks at all could well not help the situation. Night after night after night.... Yeah, "sand box" etc etc

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MuuDaeng said:

Hardly any person under the age of 60 in normal condition has so far contracted a serious illness due to omicron.

"Fast-spreading omicron variant drives up pediatric hospitalizations in parts of U.S." (Headline from CBS News two days ago) seems to suggest differently. Such hospitals are finding a 400-500% increase in cases so far this winter. 

• Haha 1