Thai Health Ministry says cloth face masks effective if worn properly

snoop1130

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXZiVA2QVIPd2rMoa0uxIxFD6lyIQM04q1s6a3.jpg

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is insisting that cloth face masks can protect against the Omicron COVID-19 variant, if they are made of muslin and worn properly.

The statement was made by Dr. Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, which contradicts a report from  the COVID-19 Information Centre, citing data from a guest professor from the Milken Institute of George Washington University, that says cloth face masks are useless against the variant and recommends the use of three-layer medical masks.

Dr. Supakit said that the Medical Sciences and Health Services departments have tested many kinds of fabric used to make face masks and found that muslin is most suitable, because it can stop droplets from passing through and can be reused several times.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-health-ministry-says-cloth-face-masks-effective-if-worn-properly/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

I live in Thailand - give to Caesar what is Caesar's. It's mostly symbolic, how effective it is is not really the point. Having said that, making love wearing facemasks gives me an excuse  to reveal my kinky side. Ha! Not really. At 66 years the days of balancing various girlfriends has long gone, I struggle with one. Still, nice to have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. One thing I regret, not keeping the various love letters over the years - would make interesting reading for my descendants.

The Reason Health Experts Urge People to Ditch Cloth Masks in the Fight Against Omicron (USA report)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/the-reason-health-experts-urge-people-to-ditch-cloth-masks-in-the-fight-against-omicron/vi-AAScEol?pfr=1

Omicron is 'not the same disease' as previous Covid variants, Oxford University scientist says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-previous-covid-variants-oxford-university-scientist-says/ar-AASemXU

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nausea said:

I live in Thailand - give to Caesar what is Caesar's. It's mostly symbolic, how effective it is is not really the point. Having said that, making love wearing facemasks gives me an excuse  to reveal my kinky side. Ha! Not really. At 66 years the days of balancing various girlfriends has long gone, I struggle with one. Still, nice to have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. One thing I regret, not keeping the various love letters over the years - would make interesting reading for my descendants.

Wth was that dribble? Just trying to Imagine you wearing a mask to keep us all safe

Edited by Bkktodd

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The primary benefit of cloth masks is to remind the user to not touch the nose and mouth frequently. They are infinitely less effective than most think. And I am not only referring to Omicron. 

A healthy diet and lifestyle is far more effective at keeping the immune system working well. And wearing a mask outdoors accomplishes little but keeping the masses highly paranoid, in all but the most crowded areas. Same applies to wearing one in your car (insane) or in your home (highly insane). 

How about in the supermarket or mall …a novel idea since that’s where i dont see mask wearing farangs . Excuses excuses. Such bs

Edited by Bkktodd

On 12/29/2021 at 7:42 PM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health is insisting that cloth face masks can protect against the Omicron COVID-19 variant, if they are made of muslin and worn properly.

Muslin extremism.????

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:47 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And now some backpedaling to create more confusion.  Muslin, and just how many cloth masks are made from Muslin.  None of the ones I have bought except the 3 layer GQ one I have. 

it doesn't matter what you wear if it is not sealed tightly around your face. To test your confidence in your mask, ask yourself if you would walk into a room full of covid infected people wearing it?

Cloth masks are bad news for other reasons. It's usually hard to breath in them. I threw mine out the other day in favour of a medical mask. It was nice to be able to breath properly again.

I don't wear masks to protect me against covid. I wear them so I can get into shops and other establishments. Wearing them out in the fresh air on my motorcycle is just plan silly, but I need to have it on to protect me from the police, not covid. It's hilarious to see people wearing masks on motorcycles, without helmets.

Edited by JensenZ

7 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Why bother …farangs dont wear them or wear it on their chin.  In Thailand most privileged farangs  think covid only attacks Thais. SMBS

What are you talking about? Is this another Farang bashing moment? Do you walk around town watching foreigners?

Most foreigners and Thais wear them. Conformity is very high in Pattaya however you'll see more Thai people not wearing them than foreigners, but of course there are more Thai people in Thailand than foreigners, so it's not surprising.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tim207 said:

Perhaps a little science will help.

virus is .1 -.5 microns

smoke is .4 -.7 microns

respiratory droplets are 5 - 10  microns

So if you can blow smoke through a mask the virus can go through. The mask may still stop droplets carrying virus particles but not the virus unless contained in the droplets.

No account for the air spaces around the mask? It doesn't matter what your mask filters, air will bypass your mask, around the edges.

8 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

How about in the supermarket or mall …a novel idea since that’s where i dont see mask wearing farangs . Excuses excuses. Such bs

I totally agree with the benefit of wearing a mask in an indoor public space. Makes total sense. But, while jogging or bicycling or walking on a nearly deserted beach? Or while riding in a car with your family? 

The current hysteria is so over the top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

No account for the air spaces around the mask? It doesn't matter what your mask filters, air will bypass your mask, around the edges.

I guess i was a little unclear. The smoke test is try blowing smoke through the mask and when i referred to watching someone with glasses and a mask the point was all the air blowing out the top of the mask unfiltered often causes peoples glasses to fog. ???? Long night and jet lag fogging my brain.

Edited by Tim207
clarity

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

There was a study on this, from which I gleaned this comment...

Overall, our observations demonstrate that, while air escape does limit the overall efficiency of surgical masks at reducing expiratory particle emissions, such masks nonetheless provide substantial reduction.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-91487-7