sitting next to someone on an airplane/ scenario

Dear fellows, 

It is clear that if you sitting next to someone on an airplane and that person is Covid positive after the arrival ,you will be taken to a hospital for isolation on your expense, even if you are not positive. 

But what happens if I book AQ in Bangkok and this scenario happens. Am I going to remain in my AQ or taken to private hospital for isolation ?

Any thoughts.....

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read recently that they are having people to self isolate if they are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms.

In your case that would be done at the hotel.

You would have regular checks by medical personnel and be given antiviral meds if needed.

Then when you have a negative test they would release you from quarantine if you have done the required number of days .

I get confused after I  read the AQ hotel rules in case of positive,person will have to be transferred to hospital. So my concern is that same will happen if sitting next to / scenario happens. 

My goal is to find out how to skip paying for a high price private hospital of sitting next to /scenario.So anyone wishes to come in Thailand can do the same. But before that we need confirmed information if is really like that as we think it is.

Does AQ solve this issue?

Where have you read about self isolation? Can you provide a link, please.

And,

Where the self isolation have been conducted?

Edited by darkobeli

It's really down to your age, health status, etc. The reason Emili could stay in hotel was because she's healthy 18 year old. If you're 50+, have any health problems, overweight or such, they might insist to put you in hospital. It is unlikely to be hotel's decision but health authorities decision.

Even at many condos they would only allow young people to self-quarantine, while anyone else would be forced to admit to hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:32 PM, darkobeli said:

I have to,I haven't seen my family for more then two years.

Seems easy to me, simply buy best insurance you can get, that pays for a stay at private hospital waiting to be 'cleared', if unlucky.

This isn't exactly rocket science.  Planning for the not so unexpected, since asking, shouldn't be  challenge.

Holy c r a p, that's what the rockets are for, signifying 'rocket scientists' badges.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seems easy to me, simply buy best insurance you can get, that pays for a stay at private hospital waiting to be 'cleared', if unlucky.

This current fella named Omicron has changed the landscape.

It is so contagious, that it's possible insurance companies will stop providing cover. 

Just not viable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This current fella named Omicron has changed the landscape.

It is so contagious, that it's possible insurance companies will stop providing cover. 

Just not viable. 

That's why you have to read the 'not so fine' print of your policy.  Really don't know what all the complications are, if really wanting / needing to travel.  At worse, you pay for 2 ish weeks in a hospital.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's why you have to read the 'not so fine' print of your policy.  Really don't know what all the complications are, if really wanting / needing to travel.  At worse, you pay for 2 ish weeks in a hospital.

It's not just about cost. Even with insurance cover, I would not travel to Thailand at this time.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not just about cost. Even with insurance cover, I would not travel to Thailand at this time.

I wouldn't be traveling out of country as a tourist either, not to Thailand, that's just plain stupid.   OP is someone who wants to return to be with family.  Another reason I wouldn't do long distance (out of country) relationship also, but too late for the OP. 

Simply bite the bullet, and roll the dice.  OP doesn't have any other option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

the biggest risk I think is not in the actual sitting on the plane but in the crowding that accompanies embarkation & disembarkation.

My thinking is your correct on this.

It's been suggested that the cases of testing positive post arrival in Thailand have caught Mr Covid at the airport prior to flight.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Having sat next to someone who tested positive, and being negative yourself, does nto entail hospitalization. Rather, quarantine in a designated facility which almost no insurance will cover.

Best one can do is try to select a seat without a seat mate and hope for the best.

It is a risk, no question about it, so is testing positive and being confined to a hospital. The latter would be covered by insurance but still far from desirable.

Ultimately one decides whether the need to travel is pressing enough to warrant these risks as well as all the other hassle and expense. I find it helpful to also think through what I will do if these eventualities occur: which Quarantine Hotel, which hospital, how to ensure I have what I need for an additional stay of up to 14 days etc etc. Having all that thought through in advance helps should it occur.

In terms of not testing positive yourself (a different issue), masks and hand sanitizer, try to avoid having a seatmate, and, if you can afford it, go business class. Maybe also board late after most of the crowd has been seated - the biggest risk I think is not in the actual sitting on the plane but in the crowding that accompanies embarkation & disembarkation.

I flew in on ANA and business class was full. Premium economy had a few empty seats but cattle class economy was less than 20% per cent occupied, only one or two people per row. At the time I was wondering if flying business class made sense as there was a lot more separation in economy. However, business class has other things going for it.

• Like 1

If under the Test and Go programme then it's likely that, unless testing positive on arrival, you would be "released" before you're traced/contacted regarding being sat next to someone who did test positive.

Perhaps not until registering for the 2nd test ?

Different, of course, if it's one of your travelling group testing positive.

13 minutes ago, mancub said:

If under the Test and Go programme then it's likely that, unless testing positive on arrival, you would be "released" before you're traced/contacted regarding being sat next to someone who did test positive.

Perhaps not until registering for the 2nd test ?

Different, of course, if it's one of your travelling group testing positive.

Unless you have already gotten a Thai Pass for the Test & Go it not longer exists. You would do the 7 day AQ quarantine.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have read recently that they are having people to self isolate if they are asymptomatic or only have mild symptoms.

In your case that would be done at the hotel.

You would have regular checks by medical personnel and be given antiviral meds if needed.

Then when you have a negative test they would release you from quarantine if you have done the required number of days .

Does every tourist have the insurance to cover everything for say 14 days for hospital treatment if found positive at the airport?

What happens if it was found that he sat beside someone who was positive on the plane, but he tested negative?

I know he will be forced in to hospital, but as he is fit and well, can he not sue for being held against his will when he was 100% healthy?  Oh! I know! This is Thailand.

• Haha 1

I flew in a few days back. The day before my flight I used the check in feature to pick my seat and made sure to be sitting with nobody next to me, right at the back of the plane. Fast forward to the flight and someone was given the seat next to me. Obviously I wasn't very happy about this but what could I do? Luckily after boarding had finished I noticed that the seat parrallel to mine, a set of two was completely empty. During check-in these cost about £30 extra if I recall correctly. Anyway, I asked the flight crew if it was okay if I sat there as I wanted to be separated from other passengers and he told me it was fine as boarding was over. So I did indeed sit on my own during the flight. However if you checked my ticket you would assume I was sat by someone. I'm curious as to what would happen if the guy I was supposed to sit next to tested positive, I'd assume they'd contact me and I'd be screwed even though I never actually sat next to him for the flight. But as one of the posters above said, I actually don't think they are really enforcing this rule for passengers who are travelling solo. The group situation I get that they might but as a solo passenger I don't think they will enforcing this. There are no written rules for it. Like, is it just the seat next to the positive person that counts? What about the seats in front or behind? Just one seat or will it be two seats distance from a positive test that will be quarantined. There no official guidence for this and so I really think they necessarily be enforcing it.

• Like 2