Current experiences with covid extensions.

Some mixed reports of recent experience applying for covid extensions.

CW asking for outbound flight?

Haven't read any accounts from MTT requesting same.

Also couple of reports of somewhat "negative attitude" from immigration officers.

Can anyone state their recent experience at various imm offices.

Edited by DrJack54

12 minutes ago, oldies1 said:

good question !

I entered on a visa exemption December 3rd, got 30 day extention and due for a covid extention third week of January

I started this thread for folk in your situation. 

Currently on holiday island and running into some people that are in same position as yourself.

Personally bit surprised of recent accounts for covid extension applications. In particular CW.

Don't understand immigrations stand. 

11 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

Assuming they're willing to give you an extension, do they run the 60 days from the date you apply or the end date of your current permission to stay (or does it depend on the immigration office)?

The extension should commence the 60 days from when your current extension ends.

There are reports that some immigration offices were dating from day of application. 

Any office doing that is just being stupid. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 5:59 AM, DrJack54 said:

The extension should commence the 60 days from when your current extension ends.

There are reports that some immigration offices were dating from day of application. 

Any office doing that is just being stupid. 

Can confirm Chiang Mai are starting the 60 days from the day of the application. I told them this was stupid but it didn't help...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

Can confirm Chiang Mai are starting the 60 days from the day of the application. I told them this was stupid but it didn't help...

I can't update you regarding CM.

However just as an encouraging PM from fella just now.

Basically he was one of those that was given hard time and rejected due to no outbound flight.

Just got his 60 days today.

CW experience was like day and night. 

The io gave him no grief at all. 

Extension was dated from expiry of current permit.

Will ask him about under consideration stamp (which he did not mention) so hopefully was given the full 60 on the spot. 

Edited by DrJack54

I posted the following in another thread, but I guess I'll post it here as well in case anyone is interested:

I went to MTT in Bangkok today (05 Jan 2022), got the 60-day extension until 25 Mar 2022, but they told me that this would be my last extension and that if I went in again, I would only get 7 more days.  I entered Thailand in Feb 2020 and have been doing COVID extensions since then, and they said that part of the reason why I wouldn't get another extension is because of how long I've been here, but from what the woman at the counter said it sounded like they might be ending the COVID extensions generally or changing the system somehow, but this wasn't totally clear.  I guess we'll see what the next announcement brings.

8 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

I posted the following in another thread, but I guess I'll post it here as well in case anyone is interested:

I went to MTT in Bangkok today (05 Jan 2022), got the 60-day extension until 25 Mar 2022, but they told me that this would be my last extension and that if I went in again, I would only get 7 more days.  I entered Thailand in Feb 2020 and have been doing COVID extensions since then, and they said that part of the reason why I wouldn't get another extension is because of how long I've been here, but from what the woman at the counter said it sounded like they might be ending the COVID extensions generally or changing the system somehow, but this wasn't totally clear.  I guess we'll see what the next announcement brings.

There have been quite a few reports from people in various parts of the Country being told that this would be the last extension 

11 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

Sounds like what a lot of people have reported in the past.  It's the "last time" until it isn't, because the government extends the extensions again.  Of course, one day they won't extend the extensions, but I'm not sure that day has arrived.  Were I to guess, I'd say they'll probably extend the extensions at least one more time. 

4 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

Sounds like what a lot of people have reported in the past.  It's the "last time" until it isn't, because the government extends the extensions again.  Of course, one day they won't extend the extensions, but I'm not sure that day has arrived.  Were I to guess, I'd say they'll probably extend the extensions at least one more time. 

Perhaps, but I've never had them tell me at MTT that it would be the last extension.  In fact, on one occasion last year they even gave me a form to fill out for the next time I came in and put a sticker on my passport telling me to come several weeks before the expiration date (or something to that effect).  The impression I've always had, until now, from actually going to the office is that the extensions were set to continue.

** Trip Report **
Bangkok-MTT Counter K
Covid Extension
Applied after receiving numerous extensions since the program started during the pandemic.
I successfully got a 60-day stamp to 25-Mar. They remember my face by now, and verbally reminded me that this is the last extension.
They have said this a few times before, and shortly afterwards the covid extension program gets extended, and again I apply and have gotten extended each time.
One thing that's different from the previous times is that they said if I try again to apply once again in March, I will only be given 7 days, not 60. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe this time they really mean it?
Lastly, I was asked when I plan to leave Thailand. I verbally confirmed I will be departing after this extension. I was not required to present a flight booking.
  • Like 1

Applied for Covid extension on Friday at Krabi Immigration. Arrived at 08.30, only 1 person in front of me. I was out of there by 9.15.

Had all my paperwork ready with signed photocopies ect ect ect.

This is my 2nd Covid extension - My current permission to stay expires on 8th February - They stamped me in untill 9th April 2022.

Great experience, nothing like Phuket & no under consideration stamp ro come back.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Applied for Covid extension on Friday at Krabi Immigration. Arrived at 08.30, only 1 person in front of me. I was out of there by 9.15.

This is my 2nd Covid extension - My current permission to stay expires on 8th February - They stamped me in untill 9th April 2022.

Great experience, nothing like Phuket & no under consideration stamp ro come back.

Your experience is how it should be. 

Good result

24 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

I wonder why some immigration give underconsderation stamps while others give  one 60 day stamp..its nearly one full passport page every time you apply for an extension .

On 1/7/2022 at 11:28 PM, audaciousnomad said:
** Trip Report **
Bangkok-MTT Counter K
Covid Extension
Applied after receiving numerous extensions since the program started during the pandemic.
I successfully got a 60-day stamp to 25-Mar. They remember my face by now, and verbally reminded me that this is the last extension.
They have said this a few times before, and shortly afterwards the covid extension program gets extended, and again I apply and have gotten extended each time.
One thing that's different from the previous times is that they said if I try again to apply once again in March, I will only be given 7 days, not 60. Not sure what to make of that, but maybe this time they really mean it?
Lastly, I was asked when I plan to leave Thailand. I verbally confirmed I will be departing after this extension. I was not required to present a flight booking.

Normally they have been giving 60 days from the date of the application for the extension.  How did you get an extension until 25-March if you went last week? Is this a new policy?  that would be nice. 

4 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

Normally they have been giving 60 days from the date of the application for the extension.  How did you get an extension until 25-March if you went last week? Is this a new policy?  that would be nice. 

Bangkok starts the 60-days from when your current stamp expires. Mine expires 24-Jan, so 60 day from that is 25-Mar.  Other offices have their own way of doing things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At Chiang Mai yesterday. They gave me an under consideration stamp and need to go back on the first of Feb. No questions about a flight etc. Infact the I/O was quite congenial and only too happy to give me my extension (or UCS). I think she is one of the more senior officers and been there a number of years. I don't remember her being like that before, but I'll take it.

I got here at 8.30 am and had to get my stamps transferred to a new passport too, the whole process took about 7 hours. The covid extensions was about 5 hours on it's own. No mention of any vaccine status or testing etc. The place was very busy and have given up on seat spacing.

From what I've read about other offices, this is an absurb amount of time and I think I will try to do the next one at a different province and just get a tm30 at a cheap hotel. It's a pitty they don't do them at Promenada.

• Thanks 2