COVID-19: Thailand reports 3,111 new coronavirus cases, 26 deaths, 3,241 recoveries

webfact

COV31.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (December 31) reported 3,111 new COVID-19 cases, 3,241 recoveries and 26 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 2,957. Prisons: 154

▶︎ Recoveries: 3,241

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,194,572

▶︎ Total recoveries since April 1: 2,141,068

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,223,435 with 21,698 deaths.

The news comes as There were 934 Omicron cases in the country and local infections rose as arrivals slowed down, according to the Department of Medical Sciences.

Dr Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the department, said the 934 Omicron cases comprised 577 arrivals and 357 local infections and they existed in all public health regions of the Public Health Ministry.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update31DEC).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-12-31

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit unrelated....yesterday I posted just one state in Australia (NSW pop 8 mil) new cases 14,000. 

Today's number is over 20,000.

A storm is brewing. 

Doubling every 2 days is what I have been seeing.  Only time will tell what this Holiday week of travel brings for the country here.  Glad we stayed home.  Roads are eerily quiet this morning here in Sathorn.  

48 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

Anecdotally I believe covid is starting to show in Pattaya now in the bar areas.

if covid is showing up in Pattaya it would would be very helpful to know where and how how many, keeping information like this hidden from the general public is not helpful at all

venues are supposed to test staff and observe restrictions - I have seen no evidence of any of it

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit unrelated....yesterday I posted just one state in Australia (NSW pop 8 mil) new cases 14,000. 

Today's number is over 20,000.

A storm is brewing. 

Similar to Ireland, population 5 million  people yesterday over 20,000 cases. Ireland has one of the Highest vaccination rates in the world..

1 minute ago, Daithi85 said:

Similar to Ireland, population 5 million  people yesterday over 20,000 cases. Ireland has one of the Highest vaccination rates in the world..

Geez I'm stupid. Had no idea Ireland's population was that small. 

So 20,000 cases along with high vaccination level (Oz also very high vax rate).

20k is very high number.

Interesting to know what % of these new cases both in Ireland, Oz and elsewhere are fully vaccinated folk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

if covid is showing up in Pattaya it would would be very helpful to know where and how how many, keeping information like this hidden from the general public is not helpful at all

venues are supposed to test staff and observe restrictions - I have seen no evidence of any of it

try the 'Triangle ' Facebook page

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like we are now starting to see the Omicron cases bumping things upwards. Let's hope the trajectory is not as sharp as Deltas was, yet with a more transmissable virus like Omicron let's hope the hospitals are not overrun and they allow for home isolation for those that can.

It sounds like without listing the ATK cases they are trying to limit the positives to only those tested via PCR.

They know that ATK positives are like to rise more rapidly than PCR positives with omicron because symptoms are expected to be milder.  Also the number of positive ATK positives that are done at home and not followed up by a PCR test should increase, if people feel they can cope with it at home. 

Milder symptoms are, of course, to be hoped for but understating the risk of infection by down playing cases is not.  Also nothing is being discussed here about the risks to young unvaccinated children.  In developed countries hospitalisation of children with COVID is rising rapidly.

• Like 2

Prayut orders stricter Covid-19 measures after New Year celebrations

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered state agencies to expand Covid-19 prevention measures once the holiday period is over.

Theerapat Prayurasiddhi, permanent secretary of the Office of the PM, said on Thursday that Prayut wants agencies to consider the following measures between January 1 and 14.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010646

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like the government is going to miss their original self-stated goal of getting 70% of the population or 50 million people fully (two shots) vaccinated by the end of 2021.

This is the latest chart update from the government posted today showing the fully vaccinated share at 46 million people / 64% (I added the red box highlighting those stats):

926033211_THvaxesthruDec302021.jpg.c4aff6ac8d26f895e42b4bd722c3e44d.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/475778407373822/?type=3

After a very slow start to their vaccinations campaign, I'll give them some credit for upping their game as the year progressed. Unfortunately, they ended up putting much of their early vaccine efforts into non-mRNA vaccines that simply didn't protect as well as the mRNA versions, which were very late to arrive in TH.

Thanks @TallGuyJohninBKK, we kind of figured they would not make their originally stated goal of vaccinations back when they decided to move the Goalposts to 100 million by December.  In reality they never made that goal either unless they counted the 3rd booster shots which were needed in light of the Sinovac issues and Delta.

What would be nice is if they would become transparent with Omicron as with the many visitors that have shown up and will need to leave, I am sure the PCR test will be showing many positives and then what?

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Prayut orders stricter Covid-19 measures after New Year celebrations

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered state agencies to expand Covid-19 prevention measures once the holiday period is over.

Theerapat Prayurasiddhi, permanent secretary of the Office of the PM, said on Thursday that Prayut wants agencies to consider the following measures between January 1 and 14.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40010646

So again a day late and a dollar short. You really can not make this stuff up now can you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Thailand 7% boosted.

Useless. Pathetic, Fail. Would be my assessment.

Well, I'd probably be a bit more measured in my criticism here...

No one really knew earlier in the year that the various vaccines would, varying by the different types, have such relatively steep drop offs in preventing infections once people were 3, 4, 6 months out -- even though the mRNA vaccines still did better over time in preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

It was interesting to see in the latest vax charts from the government that they actually are doing more 3rd dose shots per day right now than they are 2nd dose shots. Which kinda suggests they've run up against a segment of the population that simply don't want to get vaccinated with what's being offered for varying reasons.

From the chart @anchadian posted above:

Screenshot_1.jpg.156a54b220957925702c63529c63eb0b.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, I'd probably be a bit more measured in my criticism here...

No one really knew earlier in the year that the various vaccines would, varying by the different types, have such relatively steep drop offs in preventing infections once people were 3, 4, 6 months out -- even though the mRNA vaccines still did better over time in preventing hospitalizations and deaths.

It was interesting to see in the latest vax charts from the government that they actually are doing more 3rd dose shots per day right now than they are 2nd dose shots. Which kinda suggests they've run up against a segment of the population that simply don't want to get vaccinated with what's being offered for varying reasons.

From the chart @anchadian posted above:

Screenshot_1.jpg.156a54b220957925702c63529c63eb0b.jpg

You can be as tactful and measured as you want.

I'll call it for factually what it has been.

A complete failure from start to not nearly finished.

Somehow me thinks this is not going to end well.........................

Tourists flock to Koh Phangan for New Year’s beach party

Expats and tourists are flocking to Koh Phangan for the legendary Full Moon Countdown New Year’s party on Haad Rin Beach, packing ferries and overwhelming some in the tourism industry after a quiet two years due to the pandemic.

Authorities said that to access the main party, the Full Moon Party Countdown on Haad Rin Beach, proof of vaccination or a negative result from an ATK test is needed. Those unable to provide proof will be given an antigen test kit to take on the spot for a fee of 200 baht. That said, there are already thousands of people inside the party zone at the hotels, hostels and resorts along the beach. Hotel owners have not been given any information on how authorities plan to test those people.

https://thethaiger.com/news/samui/tourists-flock-to-koh-phangan-for-new-years-beach-party

phang nga.jpg

• Like 1