Thai post/TOT

brianthainess

I have a big problem with my postman/post office, Nothing has been delivered to my home for more than 2 yrs, I say nothing but I have had 2, TOT bills delivered in that time, I have complained numerous times to them, and i just get blank stares as their eyes glaze over. I'm trying to get a bit more info from you lot, :giggle: I now pay my TOT by direct debit, so they don't cut me off again, The Question I would like answered is ; If paying by Direct Debit, do TOT still send a bill every month ? the english spoken in my TOT office left me more confused than before I spoke to them. (I'm not interested in apps on my phone.) Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I don't know if paying ToT by direct debit provides a monthly bill but signing up to the ToT eService certainly does.

<https://www.tot.co.th/en/eservice>

I had the same problem with ToT bills not being delivered and often had to go to the ToT Office to pay.

The eService works flawlessly - I get an email every month with the current bill attached.  It's printable - looks just the same as the normal hard copy bill - and has a QR code so that you can pay with your bank app or at any 7-11.

I use the printable bill as proof of address for Immigration etc - works OK for that.

Just seen that Stocky beat me to it!

Edited by doctormann

On 12/31/2021 at 10:49 AM, CharlieH said:

Get a PO Box 500bt a yr, then go get yr mail when it suits you.By pass the local postie altogether.

You will find that as time goes on paper bills are illiminated everywhere.In favor of e-versions/ apps etc.

That is where the problem started after I closed my PO box. I don't know when someone has posted anything to me and driving to the post office when the postie drives past my small soi everyday is ridicules. One Example when i had a po box ; note inside we have a package to be signed for, went in to collect "your wife came in and took it'' a; my wife did not know my po box number or have a key and was away staying with family. After threatening to call the cops, "Oh come back at 6pm" but your not open ! Sorting office was and got my packaged handed back. b; My friend overseas used to send all my mail to me in a big brown envelope didn't receive any for 3mths, on complaining they took me out the back and opened a big cupboard full of scatted letters, I found a few of mine with my overseas address on, I asked the manager, " How did they arrive here with out a Thai address ?, he took one and hid his eyes behind it and just stared at it for 5 min. Once I found my New Passport still in the envelope, laying on a table in a far corner of the sorting room. !! 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:35 AM, Stocky said:

Why don't you use the TOT e-service

https://www.tot.co.th/en/eservice

I get my bill as a pdf by email and I pay online. I had the same issue with the mail which is generally hopeless.

I don't 'need' my bill the banks sms tells me, the reason i want to know about the bill being sent, is to gain evidence against the post office concerning no mail delivered, my UK bank sent 3 card readers last year they don't have a tracking number. I never received one or even 2020 xmas cards. I think I really do now need to involve the cops as what will happen to any new ATM cards sent to me or other mail.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I don't 'need' my bill the banks sms tells me, the reason i want to know about the bill being sent, is to gain evidence against the post office concerning no mail delivered, my UK bank sent 3 card readers last year they don't have a tracking number. I never received one or even 2020 xmas cards. I think I really do now need to involve the cops as what will happen to any new ATM cards sent to me or other mail.

I always get my UK bank - Barclays - to send out ATM cards using a courier service and they are amenable to this.  i had a replacement card reader sent out by courier as well.  DHL delivers to my door - usually takes no more than three days.

I rarely get any mail delivered by Thailand Post.  Occasionally we get some - usually a month or more old.

In my experience, Xmas cards never get delivered - you can speculate as to why but maybe something to do with the possibility of having cash inside!

• Like 1

Yes TOT sends a full statement each month for direct bank debit numbers that includes every call listed on the back of it.  But believe overall name has changed to National Telecom PCL as now includes both TOT and CAT.

Perhaps a New Years Gift (rather than paying for box) would be more productive for good mail service?  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I think I really do now need to involve the cops as what will happen to any new ATM cards sent to me or other mail.

A scary possibility at a time when travel is extremely restrictive and prohibitively costly. Fortunately my bank in Germany sends new cards to me by DHL. I sent an email authorising them to charge the courier fee to my account but they ignored the authorisation and still sent the card by DHL at the bank's expense.

I suggest having backup accounts, funds and cards. Apart from health insurance, they are a prime necessity these days.  

Never had an issues with PO Box anywhere.
I have a PO Box because letters used to get wet in the box at the gate to where i live.
It's only 2km from where I live and cost me 200baht per year.
Even when I forgot to pay for the box one year and a month late mail was still in my box.
If it is was too big for the box they put a note in the box to ask me to collect.
Time perhaps to discuss with your PO manager.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

gain evidence against the post office concerning no mail delivered

Apologies, probably should have left mention of TOT out of the thread title.

My experience of the local post is seriously mixed. I doubt half the postmen are fully literate, we regularly get post for other sois with the same number, plus the occasional random 'can see no possible reason for error' deliveries.

We have a post box on the wall but some postmen insist on just perching the mail in the lattice of the folding security gate, where it often falls out and ends up on the pavement. TOT bills were always hit and miss, we got disconnected twice, hence switching to e-service. Mail from HSBC in Singapore takes weeks to arrive if it does at all, credit and debit cards regularly go missing, HSBC often end up sending a second by DHL. Stuff that's supposed to be recorded delivery and signed for never is. This is in Hat Yai city, not Nakhorn Nowhere.

The PO Box option would remove the middleman, though not remove the issue if it is indeed criminal intent in the sorting office rather than incompetence/illiteracy in the postman. 

Good luck trying to bring the Post Office to book, but I suspect it will be a futile endeavour. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes TOT sends a full statement each month for direct bank debit numbers that includes every call listed on the back of it.  But believe overall name has changed to National Telecom PCL as now includes both TOT and CAT.

Perhaps a New Years Gift (rather than paying for box) would be more productive for good mail service?  

Thanks for actually answering my post, the cheque's in the mail :cheesy:

6 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Been there, done that, My bank sends out card readers from an automated system, with no tracking numbers, other mail I have no idea if or when posted, or by whom. Their reply to me were words to the effect of ''when was it posted" after filling that all out on their site, ''what name and what address'' just asked the same questions again. Pathetic.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

''what name and what address'' just asked the same questions again. Pathetic.

I told them that there was no specific date of posting.

I explained that non of my TOT bills or Bank Statements were arriving and these are sent out in Thailand.

In the end I had a visit from the head guy from the local post office to help get it sorted.

It turned out that the postman didn't have time do sort and deliver our mail as he had another job that he was more concerned with.

Edited by NE1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, brianthainess said:

That is where the problem started after I closed my PO box. I don't know when someone has posted anything to me and driving to the post office when the postie drives past my small soi everyday is ridicules. One Example when i had a po box ; note inside we have a package to be signed for, went in to collect "your wife came in and took it'' a; my wife did not know my po box number or have a key and was away staying with family. After threatening to call the cops, "Oh come back at 6pm" but your not open ! Sorting office was and got my packaged handed back. b; My friend overseas used to send all my mail to me in a big brown envelope didn't receive any for 3mths, on complaining they took me out the back and opened a big cupboard full of scatted letters, I found a few of mine with my overseas address on, I asked the manager, " How did they arrive here with out a Thai address ?, he took one and hid his eyes behind it and just stared at it for 5 min. Once I found my New Passport still in the envelope, laying on a table in a far corner of the sorting room. !! 

I get an annual statement telling me what my occupational pension from the UK is. Last year it arrived opened and the resealed with clear tape. Written on the back of the envelope, in Thai script was the monthly amount I receive!

I don't know whether it had been opened by customs or at some stage in the postal process. I emailed my pension provider and asked them to send it by email in future. Hilariously they refused - apparently email is not secure!

As for TOT, a couple of years ago my line (phone and internet) simply stopped working. After a couple of months, and numerous visits to the TOT office (they kept repeating the mantra " call helpline" - but my phone line is dead!) I gave up and stopped paying.

I enquired about reconnection last month - they wanted B1600!

I don't bother with TOT any more. Any mail to or from the UK is sent registered from the Post Office (although I read somewhere they were packing that in).

Edited by herfiehandbag

44 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I get an annual statement telling me what my occupational pension from the UK is. Last year it arrived opened and the resealed with clear tape. Written on the back of the envelope, in Thai script was the monthly amount I receive!

I don't know whether it had been opened by customs or at some stage in the postal process. I emailed my pension provider and asked them to send it by email in future. Hilariously they refused - apparently email is not secure!

As for TOT, a couple of years ago my line (phone and internet) simply stopped working. After a couple of months, and numerous visits to the TOT office (they kept repeating the mantra " call helpline" - but my phone line is dead!) I gave up and stopped paying.

I enquired about reconnection last month - they wanted B1600!

I don't bother with TOT any more. Any mail to or from the UK is sent registered from the Post Office (although I read somewhere they were packing that in).

I also heard that Registered Mail FROM Thailand was being discontinued but whether or not this has happened I don't know.

I believe that the EMS service will still be available - quite expensive though.

Past experience with Registered Mail to UK is that you can get lucky or it can get stuck at Suvarnabhumi, waiting for a flight out for maybe a couple of weeks.  EMS is usually very much faster - but COVID may have affected this.  I haven't needed to post anything to UK for a while now.

It's also quite normal for post to languish in the Heathrow (Langley) Mail Centre for a while before making it into the UK postal system.

10 minutes ago, doctormann said:

It's also quite normal for post to languish in the Heathrow (Langley) Mail Centre for a while before making it into the UK postal system.

I had a letter posted to me from the UK ( tracking incl. ) on the 23rd December. It sat in Sheffield's sorting office for 6 days and arrived at Heathrow on the 29th.

Where it still sits.

Edited by NE1

Follow on , arrives in Thailand on the 7th. Jan.

Arrives at my Changwat Post office on the 9th.

It was delivered and received to my Amphur Post office on the 9th.

Where it has sat until 12:00hrs when my wife rung them and asked why the letter has not been delivered. Here is the tracking number .

Lies , lies and more lies , we haven't got it.

They phone the wife back , oh we have got it we will deliver it tomorrow (Tue)

Just looked at the tracking system 

10/01/2565 12:17

Item out for physical delivery  (followed by more lies ).

10/01/2565 12:19
Unsuccessful (physical) delivery (Item held; waiting for further action/information as addressee not available)

Our district must have the worst Postal Sevice in Thailand.

Edited by NE1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't received any post from around the 22nd. of December in my area of Bangkok which is on the outskirts of the city. No sign either of the postman (on motorcycle) who I normally notice at least two or three times a week in that time. My wife mentioned that some of the postal workers tested positive at Prapadeaeng PO a week or two ago. That has probably something to do with it.  Anyone else in Bangkok experiencing similar lately? 

Thanks for all your replies, I have come up with a scheme to send to myself by EMS from my local PO a letter/card saying how sexy & hansom i am :cheesy: then I will track it, I might even put 20 baht in it as a test, I once did this at a different address it took 3 weeks to arrive posted in the box outside the PO 15min away. ???? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Thanks for all your replies, I have come up with a scheme to send to myself by EMS from my local PO a letter/card saying how sexy & hansom i am :cheesy: then I will track it, I might even put 20 baht in it as a test, I once did this at a different address it took 3 weeks to arrive posted in the box outside the PO 15min away. ???? 

I bet you get an EMS delivery, precisely because of what you say, it can be tracked. But normal mail is hopeless. We've had no deliveries (Banchang, Rayong) for at least 5 months. Both my UK bank debit and credit cards needed replacing, neither arrived here. We went several times up to the Post Office, where they pretended to look for any mail and came back "mai mee". Only at great expense and delay did I manage to get them sent by my son via DHL, inside books.

Our mail deliveries weren't too bad up to two years ago, but Covid seems to have become a reason for the collapse of any regular service, and I'm afraid I can't ignore the possibility of dishonesty at some stage in the chain, whether it's locally or at the Lakhsi Distribution centre.